Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Soldato
I've tried quite a few and they're a waste of money. Sorting out the diet is the best way to go about it but it's not easy, as you need to identfy and avoid foods that don't agree with you.

Easiest example's are avoiding alcohol, red wine is about the best if you have to but only in small doses.
Eat gut friendly foods like banana's
Organic Bio Live Yoghurt like Yeo Valley - I've found you need to eat quite a lot to feel the benefits, half a large pot (250g) the small one's aren't big enough. (maybe an issue if allrgic to dairy)
Kefir - many different varieties. Expensive to buy so need to grow your own, which means an investment of your time to learn and grow it.
Saurkraut is amazing stuff, try and eat this as often as possible

My understanding is that with Saurkraut, is has to fresh stuff right? Not in a jar, because that has been pasteurised. Am I correct?

My girlfriend doesn't drink, doesn't eat red meat, and does eat a lot of bananas, so already part way there.

Man of Honour
Soldato

Thanks for the links. So I've got to eat it cold? I've only ever eaten it warm before, with sausages and potatoes. The sauerkraut that is. Miso is fine cooked right, still probiotic then.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the links. So I've got to eat it cold? I've only ever eaten it warm before, with sausages and potatoes. The sauerkraut that is. Miso is fine cooked right, still probiotic then.
doesn't have to be cold, but you cant cook it as it destroys the bacteria. Cooking with probiotics destroys the benefits.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Care to share a recipe? :D

Pretty simple:

Get this and this.
Get a variety of cabbage (or one type, whatever) I found that 2 normal whole heads of supermarket white cabbage fit in to the Lakeland fermentation thingy)
Get some natural sea salt (low or non iodized, I got Maldon flakes).

Remove outer leaves (keep 1 or 2 of them whole), core the cabbage and slice in to the thin strips. Do not wash the cabbage as you want the bacteria that is on it.

Weigh you final amount of cabbage.

Put in a large bowl. If you don't have 1 big enough, do this in multiple batches.

Weigh the cabbage you are working with, and add 2% of that weight in salt. (so if you have 500g of sliced cabbage, add 10g of salt).

Massage, knead, and generally smoosh the cabbage and salt with you hands, for at least 10 minutes.

The cabbage will softed and brine will start to be expelled from the cabbage.

Smoosh until you get a decent amount of brine forming.

Pack the cabbage tightly in to the fermentation jar, and pour the remaining brine on at the end.

Repeat your smoosh and pack until all your cabbage is done.

Tear the whole leftover leaves so that it roughly fits in to the jar, pack it over the shredded cabbage to form a layer, then put the pickle weights on top.

Ensure that everything is well smooshed down and that the brine level is above the shredded cabbage.

Screw the top of the jar (follow the instructions and make sure the release plug is closed) and place in a warmish place (ideally around 21ºC).

Try to place the jar in a wide bowl to catch any drips/leaks that might occur as the brine starts to bubble.

Wait at least 3 weeks, checking to make sure the fermentation is happening, you can tell by all the bubbles from the CO2 made by the good bacteria as they do their thing.

Do a taste test, if you are happy with the level of sourness, you can then remove the weights, discard the whole leaves, and move the sauerkraut in to storage jars (I use these).

If you want it more sour, or if you find it too salty, give it another week and re-test. The saltiness mellows the longer it ferments.

Store completed sauerkraut in the fridge, good for at least 6 months (though mine never lasts that long).

Once you have the basics done, you can experiment with adding extra things (classic extras like carraway seeds or juniper berries, or more complicated kraut like including carrot and garlic to the mix).

Soldato
Pretty alarming mistake they made on Vitamin D RDA https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28768407

Think my tablets are 5000iu so not too far off the amount actually required, I'll probably start taking 2 a day from now on, particularly in the winter.

My friend was necking high dosage D3 tablets and got tested using these guys earlier this year; his levels were massively high, far past the normal range and he actually had to reduce his intake because they didn't need to be that high and while it doesn't appear to be detrimental to health, it's not a highly studied area (I think). Definitely worth seeing what your levels actually are before hitting 10kIU+ on the daily.

Caporegime
Been taking a cocktail of Phenibut - N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine - L-Theanine - Ashwagandha and Magnesium Taurate and I feel like that dude on limitless for a few hours :D never more than once a week though, and I have multiple cups of coffee on days I do, to keep me from the drowsy affects a few of these bring on.

Soldato
Wow...over a year since this thread was posted in.

Anyway, while it's widely accepted that multi vitamin tablets are waste of time due to the bodies inability to efficiently absorb most of that's in them before they're expelled...there used to be a multi vitamin well regarded on the sports section of this forum as a slight exception to the rule, does anyone remember what it was?

Man of Honour
Wow...over a year since this thread was posted in.

Anyway, while it's widely accepted that multi vitamin tablets are waste of time due to the bodies inability to efficiently absorb most of that's in them before they're expelled...there used to be a multi vitamin well regarded on the sports section of this forum as a slight exception to the rule, does anyone remember what it was?

Still more going to be absorbed than if you don’t take them though.

Soldato
Just to revive this a little bit, anyone has any experience with collagen protein? Hear all kinds of magical stories of joints feeling much better and decent body of evidence on examine.com.

Decent price on MyProtein so half a scoop a day can't to hurt to supplement my supplement of protein :p

Back
Top Bottom