US: Star Trek: Discovery

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I personally think the show is great, good change to the norm added with a twist brutal reality, violence and gore.

Soldato
Really struggled with the last episode, the last part seemed to go all weird with people remembering. Not connecting with any of the characters either and that tall weird looking one does my head in.

Not sure about it, I'll carry on but my patience is being tested....I know, I know it's still early days.

Soldato
Kinda enjoying this tbh didnt think I would.

Would really like them to do a Next Gen spin off with wil wheaton and his carrier suprised no-ones done that yet

Soldato
I am not overly enthusiastic about this show yet, most of the characters are a bit meh, and the whole "previous star trek wasn't as sophisticated as we are" excuse for it looking more like a JJ production than it does TOS, kinda feels like a cop out to me.

On the other hand, I'd be more than happy to boldly go with cadet Tilly.

Permabanned
Mid season finale was amazing, edge or your seat stuff from start to finish, easily the best episode so far, such a shame we have to wait until January. :(

I can't think of any other ST series that has me this gripped after 9 episodes, I know many don't like it and that's fine but you're missing out.

Soldato
Really enjoyed the first nine episodes, not afraid to just jump right in, I think that was Enterprises problem, they spent season one to slowly and over cautious. Therefore losing too many viewers, this has been quite the opposite.

My only one criticism that's been driving me mad though

"WHY THE **** ARE THE SUBTITLES SO BIG AND IN CAPS!!!!!!" arghhhhhhhhh!

Soldato
Im not a huge ST fan, but really liking this (liked the original reboot film , but not fan of previous films or tv series) but quite enjoying this to be honest.

The last episode (didnt realise there was a break for so long) was very good indeed but makes up for the previous one that was very weak imo.

I just wish they would stop shoving the LGB down the viewers throats - its not from an offensive point of view (its not offensive), but it doesnt need to be quite so front and centre
(Im also not that convinced it would be allowed even so far in the future between the officers etc)

Soldato
By far the best episode so far, it's not even close.

I agree about the kissing and canoodling, it's a military ship, it just wouldn't be allowed, certainly not on duty - but it is 2017 after all, got to have some LGBGT in it like every other program on TV

Permabanned
I highly recommend The Orville for a Trek fix. It feels like TNG but with some extra humour. Definitely not Family Guy in space.

Feels like Family Guy in space, you could take some of the story lines and give them family guy characters and it would probably work better.

Really enjoyed the first nine episodes, not afraid to just jump right in, I think that was Enterprises problem, they spent season one to slowly and over cautious. Therefore losing too many viewers, this has been quite the opposite.

My only one criticism that's been driving me mad though

"WHY THE **** ARE THE SUBTITLES SO BIG AND IN CAPS!!!!!!" arghhhhhhhhh!

Thankfully they are now using the Universal Translator. They should have used google translate before.

Permabanned
At least characters seem real...
Number 1 warns not to kill the leader and what does she do.... useless.

And shoots him in the back.

Must be a romulan double agent.

Not sure what that means, they seem more real than the 2D perfect Star Fleet officers in TNG that so rarely do anything wrong, they have to dedicate a whole episode to them when they do.

They're only 9 episodes in, the characters in TNG, Voyager or DS9 were not fully fleshed out after 9 episodes. You have multiple series to draw on for these so it's not a fair comparison.

Also the acting in Discovery is very good as well, they're doing a great job.

Caporegime
Ok, my take on this is that it is by a country mile the most modern, real-feeling Star Trek that has been created.

1) Cast, characters and acting are great. Sonequa Martin-Green is doing an excellent job as Burnham, and Jason Isaac is PERFECT as the Captain with a dark side.
2) Technology seems very well done and as I imagine it would be
3) It feels human, dark, gritty... we have swearing, sex, torture, a starship dance club. FInally Star Trek has lost its "perfect cardboard cut-out" characterization and in-your-face morality.
4) Storylines were interesting, only the ending of the episode "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" annoyed me as I thought the bad guy (the awesome Rainn Wilson, Dwight from The Office, yay) was let off far too lightly for what he did.
5) The Klingons were well re-invented and now look less like humans with cornish pasties on their heads and more like the hideous and semi-monstrous warlike aliens I always imagined them to be.

I am really, really looking forward to Season 2 and it has breathed new life into what was a stale and often underwhelming IP. :)

Soldato
Ok, my take on this is that it is by a country mile the most modern, real-feeling Star Trek that has been created.

1) Cast, characters and acting are great. Sonequa Martin-Green is doing an excellent job as Burnham, and Jason Isaac is PERFECT as the Captain with a dark side.
2) Technology seems very well done and as I imagine it would be
3) It feels human, dark, gritty... we have swearing, sex, torture, a starship dance club. FInally Star Trek has lost its "perfect cardboard cut-out" characterization and in-your-face morality.
4) Storylines were interesting, only the ending of the episode "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" annoyed me as I thought the bad guy (the awesome Rainn Wilson, Dwight from The Office, yay) was let off far too lightly for what he did.
5) The Klingons were well re-invented and now look less like humans with cornish pasties on their heads and more like the hideous and semi-monstrous warlike aliens I always imagined them to be.

I am really, really looking forward to Season 2 and it has breathed new life into what was a stale and often underwhelming IP. :)

Then it's not Star Trek.

Back
Top Bottom