Pimax 8k is live

Permabanned
One of the downsides of early division within VR hardware providers not being compatible with each other. Should be more like other PC peripherals such as mice or monitors. They all work with the same base and the end user can swap them as they see fit.

I tend to agree but in this case they are bringing out a new version of the lighthouse and controllers. It makes little difference this time around as it would make sense to sell the whole package(Rift or Vive) when upgrading.

Soldato
I think it was just pointing out your extra apostrophe showing ownership rather than a plural.

One of the downsides of early division within VR hardware providers not being compatible with each other. Should be more like other PC peripherals such as mice or monitors. They all work with the same base and the end user can swap them as they see fit.

That would require oculus to support steamvr. Seeing as facebook created the oculus store to deliberately keep revenue out of steam's hands I can't see them adopting steamVR's base stations as an option.

Soldato
Fair enough, was just wondering, thanks everyone that was constructive :)

Will leave this for now, for me VR is a gimmick but it's this kind of tech progress that needs to happen to push the boundaries :D

Associate
Yes in the big picture, it's unfortunate that all headsets aren't supported on all platforms. Not being able to play Oculus games with the Vive without a hack must be frustrating. For a Rift owner, it makes you question if you are getting locked into Home because in the future, could you buy a different headset and lose access to all your games?
Fortunately for me the latter doesn't concern me too much, as i don't tend to go back to old games. Backwards compatibility is something i never used with my consoles.
However, on a brighter note. Maybe competition here has moved things forwards quicker. When Steam made everyone download their client back in the half life days, there was uproar. But in their competition to lock people into their shop, they had the famous Steam sales. Others moving forward followed suit with their specials and exclusive games. Today we have Oculus with their shop enticing people in with self funded games, and price slashing. I'm going to guess that the aggressive price cuts from Oculus has a positive effect on the prices of future headsets + their funded games have made up a majority of my best VR experiences.

Associate
Colour me relieved, that's a very positive hands on review, thanks for posting it @Sh4rkie ...I'm sticking with the pledge now...I'm still not convinced the company is set up to provide first class support in the event of issues, but in terms of the hardware I'm happy. Hopefully they'll iron out the wrinkles they experienced with the 4K.

I just need to figure out how I explain this to my wife lol....I could be facing a costly Christmas present wish list for 'er indoors

Soldato
OP
Pimax just shock up the market!

There innovation, will force vive and rift to release new headsets mid next year... Watch out for deepoon creating a similar headset and ACER turning starvr to the consumer market

Associate
Yes we know, already discussed many, many times...it’s a huge improvement visually over rift/Vive which is why those of us who pledged did so. Oddly enough there has been a fair amount of discussion and research done prior to shelling out a big wedge of cash on a kickstarter pledge. Admittedly there are still risks, but that’s not unusual.

Soldato
Pimax just shock up the market!

There innovation, will force vive and rift to release new headsets mid next year... Watch out for deepoon creating a similar headset and ACER turning starvr to the consumer market

LOL what? Yeah I hope the headset is as good as the specs says it is, but, how could it shake up the market, it hasn't even been released yet.

And, no, their innovation won't force Vive and Rift to do anything. They have already said their next gen headsets won't be released until 2019 at the earliest.

Calm down a little.

Back
Top Bottom