Game zero strange sound

Associate
Hello guys!

I recently purchased a Sennheiser game zero from overclockers and I think something really bad is going on with my headset.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sennheiser-g4me-zero-premium-gaming-headset-white-sp-074-sn.html

So, wasn't able to test it immadiately 'coz I spent my holiday in Hungary.. Anyway the first time I connected it there was no problem at all... until I increased the volume to like lets say 70-80%.
Dont really know how to describe it but its some sort of " crackling " sound? This is how you call it? Like an explosion :D Sorry my english is bad #sadstory.
I believe in the shop the description says 150ohm, but I got an 50ohm headset with the removable cable and stuff. It should be good.

I own an ASUS Z170-A mobo. Opened up realtek hd audio manager, set the headset to STEREO, front panel/not automatic coz it f-s up the sound very bad. Everything else is on default, Didnt touch anything. And yes the drivers are updated aswell. every.single.one.of.them.

The headphone works just fine with my old galaxy s4, of course the sound is not that loud.

Again, it only happens /on pc / when I'd like to listen to some music on max volume.

Is it my mobos connection or is it the headphone that fails? I dont want to spend 70$ on a sound blaster z if its not the mobo that fails here.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

David

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that "crackling" volume dependant?
And starts suddenly?

Some kind crackling/"rattling" could be caused by something loose next to driver.
Even some piece of hair can cause such noise when it resonates against driver.
That usually happens with low frequency sounds.
Also headphones (just like speakers) have certain maximum sound pressure they can produce without starting to distort sound, but that shouldn't happen until at very loud (hearing dangerous) volume.

So if that noise happens only with one source problem shouldn't be in headphones.

Associate
OP
Everything is clear up to a certain volume level. I also own a Logitech G35 and it does not matter how loud it is, it sounds the same, clear and etc etc.

Soldato
Have you tried in some other PC/source to get similar volume?
That would help bracketing if it's certainly in that PC or could it be caused by something in headset.

Though noise starting suddenly possibly hints to some kind signal clipping.
Is it constant when you increase volume setting to certain level regardless of actual sound level or only happen at time of high sound level?
(and not there with quieter sounds?)

Associate
OP
Just tested different kind of music on MAX volume on spotify/youtube ( Spotify is obviously better quality than youtube. )
For example some of the trap/dubstep songs are distorted and others are not.
Metalcore/Heavy Metal / Rock songs - Crystal Clear on both platforms
Rap - Crystal Clear on both
DnB - Clear on both
Don't really know what is going on with those trap and dubstep songs :D
I remember setting up something for my G35 like a year ago. In Properties - Enhancements - Bass Management .. but I dont have this option now.

How to say- the headphone dies at high bass :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bass at high volume demands lots of power so could be causing signal clipping.
Though clipping could as well happen digitally.
Some such bass enhancement etc could cause it.

But bass would be also the one to "show"/bring up physical problems in headphones.
Can you test exactly same music trying to get similar volume with other sources?

Associate
You bought the old high'ish impedance versions which will need a decent amp looking at the spec page you linked, if you are running into volume issues that's a sure sign the amp isn't up to the task. I think you will need something like a sound blaster z to drive it at suitable volumes.

Associate
It sounds like you still have the bass boost enabled and the amp can't handle the power needed.
The reason i say this is: On my lower power amp, if i turn on bass boost my headphone will distort badly in bass heavy songs at high volumes. Plug in with more power, i can reach the same sound level without the bass distorting.
Bass eats the mw's. eg without eq my headphones can be ear deafening at 50mw but if i eq, the bass can eat up the whole 4000mw.

Associate
OP
I'm 100% sure this is the 50ohm /new / version 'coz the old version which is the 150ohm does not have the removable cable on it.
Still trying to find a fix.. No luck yet.

Back
Top Bottom