*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
OP
Been eyeing one of those up for a while Psymonkee, how much did it set you back and where from?

edit: I've been weighing it up against this, which is usually at £85 but is currently at £69! It's obviously not of quite the same quality, but I have seen a few good in depth reviews from guys who know what they're talking about and it seems pretty staggering value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M4QB007/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

I think I got it through Amazon (MacsBBQ's sells on there as a storefront) and it set me back £280 iirc! (I added a cover at £20 to as the shed was too full at the time!)

Can't really comment on the other one though.

Soldato
Just ordered my Christmas turkey and will be smoking it again this year. It’s definitely the way to go - you can use a thermometer to nail the right doneness, it clears the oven to be hot for roast potatoes and you get to make a fire on Christmas morning! What’s not to like?

Soldato
A friend of mine has been doing his Christmas turkey in a smoker every year for the last 15-20 years and swears by it.He did one at a weekend of meat moking I went to in the summer and I have to say it was delicious!!

Associate
I've not done it now for a couple years but I use to have a rolled turkey breast joint I would stuff then wrap in bacon then smoke with hickory. It was amazing, so good in fact just describing it has made up my mind to do it again this year.

Soldato
When I'm cooking pulled pork or lamb for a gathering I tend to smoke it in advance then vacuum pack and freeze it so on the day I want it I just need to make sure it's thawed out and then reheat it in a pan of hot water, makes life much simpler and works very well.

Having just got myself a sous vide, I was thinking just now that I could use this to regulate the temperature of the water to be just below that which I cooked the meat to so it wouldn't cook the meat any further and would allow me to let the meat come to temperature slowly and stay there until I am ready to serve it, that would work beautifully wouldn't it?

Soldato
Damn, that's a really long time for short ribs. Mine are generally done in about 6.5 hours at 275F. What temp did you cook them at?

I smoked some beef cheeks yesterday. Not sure about their gelatinous texture, although they tasted quite good.

Soldato
Yeh, tell me about it. The BBQ was at 110C but by 7pm it was freezing out and the ribs were really struggling to increase in temperature. They took over an hour to go up from 83 to 88C! I should have got them on earlier in the day but I didn't think they'd take too long. They were beautifully tender though. :D

Soldato
I had some tasty short ribs yesterday. They took about 10 hours to smoke but the cold weather was really slowing things down at the end.

TVnCeRIl.jpg

They look lovely!

I must give them a try at some point!!

I smoked three pork shoulders at the weekend, two for my neighbour for a birthday bash and one for me while the smoker was going, got to love some nice pulled pork on a cold damp day

Soldato
Did anyone get a 10% discount code from www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk for existing customers in an email today? Despite being a previous customer I didn't get the email :( I need to place a ~£200 order this week so I'd really like the code. If you got it and the code isn't customer-specific, would you mind sharing it please? :)

Associate
So over the summer we were getting Heat Beads from The Range. Now it's not summer they don't have stock in store. Anyone know/reccommend where has reasonable prices on Heat Beads or Weber Briquettes, that's not horrific for shipping? I'm happy to buy 3-4 bags if that makes it easier/affordable.

Soldato
I use either bbqworld as above or wowbbq.co.uk

Sometimes takes a little thinking about how much you want to order to see which is better of the two but in truth there's not a great deal to choose between them. My last order was 32kg (eight 4kg bags) from bbqworld.

Soldato
The cheapest place to get Weber briquettes from is Hayes Garden World and use discount code AFAUTUMN34219 to get 10% off.

EDIT: Looks like they've increased the price to £11.99 per bag from £10.79 when I ordered a few weeks ago so the discount code is BS :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom