The Tesla Thread

Caporegime
Tesla cars seem to change all the time, its a lot different to the 3 year mid-life facelifts that the main car companies do in europe

Though I know in America they have a 'Model year' and update it year in, year out but one week you might buy a Tesla and somebody next week has a different moulded back seat or more powerful cigarette lighter socket or whatever they change.

So anyway, there aren't any real options other than the premium pack.

Am I right in thinking that all the Model 3's will come with everything needed for 'Enhanced autopilot' and 'Full self driving' and you can pay to unlock it at a later date once you have the car?

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that all the Model 3's will come with everything needed for 'Enhanced autopilot' and 'Full self driving' and you can pay to unlock it at a later date once you have the car?

That is correct. It is an extra £1k to get it after delivery but it is just a software unlock.

Associate
Had an update from tesla on my model 3 reservations. A looong time to wait yet. Dont know if I can be arsed to wait. Only buying to flip it.

Here’s more information on what you can expect next with your Model 3 reservation:

How can I check my estimated delivery window?
Model 3 reservation holders can check their latest delivery timing estimate in their Tesla Account.

When will I be invited to configure my Model 3, and when can I take delivery?
Model 3 reservation holders are receiving invitations to order and design Model 3 based on the time and date that they placed their reservation. Current Tesla owners have priority as a thank you for their support.

Deliveries will start in the United States first, with international deliveries starting in left-hand drive markets in late 2018, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019.

Once you receive your invitation and place your order for Model 3, you can expect to take delivery in approximately 1-3 months depending on your location. If you would like to wait for a version of Model 3 that is not yet in production, you can choose to hold your place in line and be notified when your desired options become available.

How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Which Model 3 features are currently available?
Our first Model 3 in production comes with a long-range battery, 310 miles of range, rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades throughout, beginning at $49,000 USD. In early 2018, we will introduce the option for a standard battery with 220 miles of range and standard equipment, beginning at $35,000 USD.

Every Model 3 comes with standard active safety features and is designed to be the safest car in its class. Today, customers can choose from three customization options for Model 3: wheel size (18” Aero or 19” Sport), exterior color (Solid Black, Midnight Silver Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic, Pearl White Multi-Coat, Red Multi-Coat) and Autopilot features (Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability).

Future options will include an optional white interior, premium package as an upgrade choice, and dual motor all-wheel drive. International feature availability and timing will be shared later as production ramps.

Which features come standard with Model 3 for $35,000 USD?
Model 3 is designed to be the safest car in its class, with 220 miles of range, and zero to 60 mph acceleration in 5.6 seconds. Standard features also include full self-driving hardware, Supercharging capability, a rear glass roof, a 15” touchscreen display, Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity capability, free over-the-air software updates, full LED lighting, and an 8-year, 100,000 mile battery warranty.

What type of payment options are available for my Model 3?
We currently support cash purchases and loan financing on Model 3. You can apply for financing through your Tesla Account as your delivery day approaches.

Does Tesla accept trade-ins?
Yes. When your Model 3 order is confirmed, you can request a trade-in through your Tesla Account.

Will I be eligible to receive incentives for purchasing Model 3?
You may be eligible for local or federal tax incentives when you purchase your Model 3. We recommend speaking with a tax professional for guidance, as some incentives may depend on your personal tax situation.

Will I need to order Model 3 as soon as I receive my invitation?
For the fastest delivery of your Model 3, we encourage you to place your order as soon as you receive your invitation. The invitation to configure your Model 3 will have a link which will allow you to either configure your vehicle, or save your place in line and wait until later to order. We will continue to send invitations to reservation holders on a rolling basis, however delivery timing cannot be confirmed until an order is placed.

Where can I take delivery of my Model 3?
We will assign you a delivery location based on your registration address after you’ve confirmed your order.

I have relocated to a different state or country since placing my Model 3 reservation. How can I update my address?
You can update your registration address in your Tesla Account here.

If you have moved to another country, you will not lose your place in line, but your move may impact delivery timing as Model 3 is delivered in your market. For help updating your Tesla Account, please contact Customer Support here.

Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
Yes. If you have owned one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you have owned two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations.

What is the cost of Supercharging for Model 3?
Model 3 comes standard with the hardware necessary to utilize the global Tesla Supercharger Network. A small fee will apply for Supercharging—which is only a fraction of the cost of gas.

Tags:

Model 3 and Reservations

Soldato
Why is that funny? I can see these being like the new Mini when that came out and then some, someone will be willing to pay over the odds to have one of the first that land in the UK. There will be no real competitors for the Model 3 when it lands here and will be really rare. You may well be underestimating the brand pull of Tesla, they certainly have an 'Apple' factor about them. The main issue is the Model S will put a cap on what you would realistically get for it.

Associate
Im assuming that if $35k becomes £35k I could realistically get £40k for it. Thats the idea anyhow, and given its a refundable deposit until probably 2019 at this rate then im only losing some crappy interest to remain in the queue.

Soldato
Deliveries will start in the United States first, with international deliveries starting in left-hand drive markets in late 2018, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019.

LOL what a joke. All other car manufacturers manage to make their RHD variants available at the same time as the LHD ones. EVs should be far simpler as there's none of the mechanical issues to worry about, just dash tooling really, yet they have to stagger it?

Soldato
Why is that funny? I can see these being like the new Mini when that came out and then some, someone will be willing to pay over the odds to have one of the first that land in the UK. There will be no real competitors for the Model 3 when it lands here and will be really rare. You may well be underestimating the brand pull of Tesla, they certainly have an 'Apple' factor about them. The main issue is the Model S will put a cap on what you would realistically get for it.

He's probably laughing at the fact that the guy is exploiting the system and people who genuinely wanted to buy the car to drive will either have to wait for longer for theirs, simply not get allocated one or have to pay over the odds for one. He could have at least pretended he was interested in driving it for a while.

Caporegime
So 18 months to two years realistically. That’s the (US) model year 2020 to compete with. I’m willing to bet there will be around half a dozen similar/direct competitors available at the same time (range, “premium” feel and semi autonomous tech). Hopefully that will destroy any profit by the speculators :p

Associate
wow, dont cry about it lol. anybody could have preordered - exploited the system lol. wish id done it on a few cars previously. You can buy my place in the queue for 2k :D lol.

I do worry that within the next 18 months one of the more mainstream brands may steal some of the thunder, but as time goes on that doesnt seem as likely. Anybody buying a tesla is the same demo as a german brand buyer, and I havent seen BMW, Audi or Mercedes make too much progress here.

Soldato
LOL what a joke. All other car manufacturers manage to make their RHD variants available at the same time as the LHD ones. EVs should be far simpler as there's none of the mechanical issues to worry about, just dash tooling really, yet they have to stagger it?

That's all well and good but you are comparing a company that produces 100k cars a year from a single factory and have been around for 10 years. In the car world they are tiny. They are also American and understandingly concentrate on the American market first. There a loads of American cars us Brits would love to own but without importing one we are out of luck. Just look how long it took us to get the Mustang over here.

On the other hand companies like BMW have been around 1916 and produce close 1 million cars a year.

In the EV market, you can not buy a UK spec Bolt or new leaf (yet) so no, not all cars are available in RHD right away. Some never will be like the Bolt even though it is a decent 'affordable' car and would do well in the UK like the Leaf. In Norway the wait list is so long they had to stop taking orders.

I do worry that within the next 18 months one of the more mainstream brands may steal some of the thunder, but as time goes on that doesnt seem as likely. Anybody buying a tesla is the same demo as a german brand buyer, and I havent seen BMW, Audi or Mercedes make too much progress here.

This has certainly been taken into account. No need to take on the big European brands on their own turf yet as they are not bringing anything to market that is similar for some time. Until those brands have their own supercharger networks that are easy to use they will always be at a disadvantage in the EV space.

The biggest issues those brands have to bring an EV to market is not the car or the software it is actually the supply of batteries. They will need to build their own factory to be able to produce enough volume to make it worthwhile. This is a big issue for Chevy and Nissan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
wow, dont cry about it lol. anybody could have preordered - exploited the system lol. wish id done it on a few cars previously. You can buy my place in the queue for 2k :D lol.

Volvo are planning on releasing a few electric vehicles in the next couple of years. An XC40 and an S/V40 for a start (the latter would be pretty much directly comparable). There’s also speculation of BMW releasing an i4 in the next year or so too. Audi have got a couple of SUVs likely to be electric so may well also release a saloon. Jaguar have the I Pace.

It seems most of the more premium manufacturers are looking at small/mid size SUVs first and the non premium brands looking at hatchbacks (presumably because saloons aren’t selling particulalry well at the moment, compared to those categories), so Tesla may get lucky with the small saloon market. At the same time people may migrate up/down to the SUV and Hatch market if there are legitimate alternatives there.

There’s also still the question of whether Tesla is a “premium” brand, and whether the difference is as major with electric vehicles at the moment. There’s not a huge difference in price with “like for like” vehicles at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom