Boris Johnson puts his foot in it again

Soldato
Please all remember as well, that Boris was very much pro-EU till soon before the referendum. A person who is willing to go against their very principles to further their own political career is one thing, but to do it with such a monumentally important vote is a disgusting thing to do.

Soldato
OP
Nazanin’s husband has just been on Today on Radio 4 asking for Boris to officially retract his comments in parliament.

He says it feels like she’s been used as a bargaining chip in some negotiation between Iran and the UK. If true, and Boris’ comments were deliberate, it begs the question what kind of negotiating strategy they are using at her expense…

Soldato
Indeed, way better than Sadiq "Haven't i mentioned i'm a Muslim today?" Khan

It was his Tory opponent who made the mayoral election all about his religion and people who don’t like him on OCuk are no different. He talks about his religion because he’s forced to do so.

who's done absolutely **** all and i just sat on his hands for the past few years

He’s only been mayor for 18 months!

Associate
Please all remember as well, that Boris was very much pro-EU till soon before the referendum. A person who is willing to go against their very principles to further their own political career is one thing, but to do it with such a monumentally important vote is a disgusting thing to do.
They all tell porkies just to get into the power or position, doesn't matter who or where. He's very calculated person and he may look like buffoon but he isnt't.

Man of Honour
He's very knowledgeable, but I don't think he's all that intelligent. I don't know quite how to put it, but he seems to be some sort of very clever idiot.

Trump is just an idiot. There's nothing intelligent about him. The two aren't comparable.

Possibly the word that you MAY be looking for about Johnson, is idiot-savant.

Soldato
Now,

Let me get this straight.

An Iranian Woman, Currently resident in London, who was born in Iran and lived in Iran until she was nearly 30, has traveled to Iran to visit her Iranian family and, while in Iran has done something that annoyed the Iranian authorities to such an extent that the Iranian Police arrested her, prosecuted her and sent her to an Iranian prison.

Now, I do not wish to seem unsympathetic, but, This is our problem because??

Caporegime
Now,

An Iranian Woman, Currently resident in London, who was born in Iran and lived in Iran until she was nearly 30, has traveled to Iran to visit her Iranian family and, while in Iran has done something that annoyed the Iranian authorities to such an extent that the Iranian Police arrested her, prosecuted her and sent her to an Iranian prison.

Come on, just take a wild guess. Surely you can work it out. It's really not rocket science. Have a wild stab in the dark at why it might be our problem.

Soldato
Now,

Because she's a British citizen afforded certain rights, isn't that enough? Think it about it for a minute.

Soldato
Ah well

Come on, just take a wild guess. Surely you can work it out. It's really not rocket science. Have a wild stab in the dark at why it might be our problem.

Because she's a British citizen afforded certain rights, isn't that enough? Think it about it for a minute.

I guess those go together so...

She is an Iranian citizen who has fallen foul of the Law in Iran...

ISTM that while "Dual Citizenship" might be seen as a benefit to some. The downside really is that the countries concerned really shouldn't get involved with each others policies regarding those dual citizens. Especially if one of them is Iran whose government doesn't even recognize the concept of dual citizenship in the first place and who regards Iranians who claim to have it somehow as questionable at best, Traitors and spies at worst...

People should pick their side and stick with it.

A better argument for why it might be our problem would be that her child (Who she had taken to Tehran to visit her family, and who IS a full UK citizen by birth with a British Father) is currently stuck in Tehran with no realistic possibility of being reunited with her father who has been advised not to travel to Iran.

She isn't white so for some people that means she isn't our problem.

You do realise that Iranians are Caucasien. around Tehran they can actually be quite fair and have the blue eyes to go with it. Do NOT call an Iranian an Arab. They really hate it

(It is also a good idea to keep your head down is your name is "Alexander" they have very long memories and you might get some funny looks... (Bit like you might visiting Tel-Aviv and introducing yourself as Adolf))

Caporegime
Indeed, way better than Sadiq "Haven't i mentioned i'm a Muslim today?" Khan who's done absolutely **** all and i just sat on his hands for the past few years
I’d really love to see u do any better.

Maybe in some respects he hasn’t quite lived up to peoples expectations but then he’s only been in the job less than 2 yrs.

As for Boris, he’s just a poor mans version of Trump.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Indeed, way better than Sadiq "Haven't i mentioned i'm a Muslim today?" Khan who's done absolutely **** all and i just sat on his hands for the past few years
Could you say what you think Johnson accomplished as Mayor? Or what power you think the Mayor actually has? The job is essentially a glorified transport commissioner and TfL will implement its major schemes (like the Overground under Livingstone and the bikes under Boris) regardless of who is holding the job, although you can give Johnson full credit for driving forward vanity projects that either serve no purpose or failed entirely. The boroughs are responsible for almost everything else of significance save policing (over which the Mayor has no operational control).

Back
Top Bottom