Ford Edge Titanium - anyone got one? What do you think of the ride?

Associate
Ok so as title really. I am interested in getting one, maybe not straight away but I am 99% sure I want one for my next car. Considering the manual 180ps and getting thing mapped. But I took one out for a test drive over the weekend, standard spec Titanium no extra's. I found on corners I moved/slid in the seat... I found the seats very flat, no curved edges to keep you nice and snug. Any one else found this? Is it just how new cars are now? I did wonder if it is because of my size... I am not that small, current weigh in at 107kg and wondering if thats why I felt like I was sliding around.

It was nice sitting up higher, felt very solid, safe. VERY quiet at 70mph compared to my 6 year old insignia. But the chair thing does put me off. I drive 2 - 3 hours a day on my commute and collecting the family etc so I want to to feel right!

Sadly there are no Sport/ST Line models near to where I live to take a quick look/test drive.

Anyone got one of these? Liking it?

Cheers all

Associate
OP
The sales guy did say get an auto..... but I dunno, always had manuals. He said to take an auto out when he gets one in. My drive is 95% 50 - 70mph single and dual carriage and 5% smaller roads for work. But during other times there are a lot of smaller roads, we have started to go camping a lot. 3 or 4 times this year already and think we will do more.

The other bonus is the auto edge is faster, more powerful, twin turbo 210bhp instead of 180bhp.

Soldato
Is a big car. Stick with the auto. no point having a big fat lazy cruiser and then doing some of the work.

Save manuals for sports cars

Don
As the owner or a manual Honda CR-V, get the auto.
A manual is great for enjoying the drive and having full control over the car when really pressing on. A 4x4 is not a drivers' car so you might as well make it as lazy and comfortable as you can.
Unless you're like my Mrs who cannot drive an auto for some unfathomable reason.

Associate
OP
She can not drive an auto? Why what does she do? Its put your foot on the brake move to the stick to D and release brake? I will try and auto, not in a rush to change so got time to shop around! I just love how they look! I did just google what power I would get from a remapped Edge auto. 240 - 250. Bit better on the fuel too etc.

Caporegime
Unless you're like my Mrs who cannot drive an auto for some unfathomable reason.

My missus was the same. When we were in Oz I rented an auto Ford XR6 for our road trip. Found an old industrial estate, plopped her in the driver's seat and told her to crack on.

The drawback is that now I keep getting asked when we're getting an auto :/

Don
She can not drive an auto? Why what does she do? Its put your foot on the brake move to the stick to D and release brake?

Indeed. I have pointed out that there's two pedals - stop and go - but she always tries to put both feet on the brake when pulling up, mashing the pedal to the floor with her left foot and causing the car to do an emergency stop!
I've tried getting her to tuck her left leg under the seat but it's no good and believe me, we've tried many, many times in my XJ.

It's odd because I can jump straight out of the XJ and in to the manual CR-V and drive without even thinking "this is a manual". I don't get it because she can switch between LHD and RHD without a thought when she's in Poland.

Indeed. I have pointed out that there's two pedals - stop and go - but she always tries to put both feet on the brake when pulling up, mashing the pedal to the floor with her left foot and causing the car to do an emergency stop!
I've tried getting her to tuck her left leg under the seat but it's no good and believe me, we've tried many, many times in my XJ.

It's odd because I can jump straight out of the XJ and in to the manual CR-V and drive without even thinking "this is a manual". I don't get it because she can switch between LHD and RHD without a thought when she's in Poland.

Sellotape a drawing pin to the underside of her foot, she will only get it wrong once ;)

Soldato

My mum was exactly the same: she even got the accelerator and brake mixed up despite them being in the same place in an auto as in a manual. Can't understand it at all personally.

Man of Honour
My mum was exactly the same: she even got the accelerator and brake mixed up despite them being in the same place in an auto as in a manual. Can't understand it at all personally.

Muscle memory and getting used to doing it one way. It can take a lot to get past the initial mental hump if you don't have a good picture of the end result.

Soldato
Reminds me of one of our group last time we went to the states, kept insisting there was something seriously odd with his car......discovered a week later he thought you should left foot brake in an auto

Associate
I’ve had the Titantium Auto for just over a year now, still love it. I’m not a big guy - tall at 6-1 but very slim. Not really noticed sliding on the seats in the corners, maybe occasionally but I’ve not found it an issue. Mine is the Lux pack with full leather and also has LED headlamps. It is a big car and a bit wallowy, turning circle is a bit barge like. Shifts nicely though, better than my 2011 Kuga powershift AWD that it replaced, nice on long drives, doesn’t feel like I’ve been sat in it for hours and hours. Good sound proofing helps I think too. Long bonnet, I’ve had focus / Kuga combos before so moving to a large monedo length bonnet instead of something quite short is a bit disconcerting at first.

Few niggles, torn passenger door seal and it’s subject to curtain airbag recall both of which are being addressed next week (it’s taken aaaaaages to get the parts). Sync 2 is ok, would have preferred it being sync 3 but it wasn’t out at the point of order. Boot auto close seems to like bouncing back intermittently which appears to be a “thing” as does the sound of fuel sloshing in the tank (though not all the time)
Biggest niggle by far over everything else is the pants design of the wing mirrors, when it rains and you’re doing any kind of speed (40+) the water drifts up the gap between the mirror and the door and obscures the view of the mirror. Not noticed this behaviour on other cars, so it’s a bit of a poor show on the design there.

Associate
OP
I’ve had the Titantium Auto for just over a year now, still love it. I’m not a big guy - tall at 6-1 but very slim. Not really noticed sliding on the seats in the corners, maybe occasionally but I’ve not found it an issue. Mine is the Lux pack with full leather and also has LED headlamps. It is a big car and a bit wallowy, turning circle is a bit barge like. Shifts nicely though, better than my 2011 Kuga powershift AWD that it replaced, nice on long drives, doesn’t feel like I’ve been sat in it for hours and hours. Good sound proofing helps I think too. Long bonnet, I’ve had focus / Kuga combos before so moving to a large monedo length bonnet instead of something quite short is a bit disconcerting at first.

Few niggles, torn passenger door seal and it’s subject to curtain airbag recall both of which are being addressed next week (it’s taken aaaaaages to get the parts). Sync 2 is ok, would have preferred it being sync 3 but it wasn’t out at the point of order. Boot auto close seems to like bouncing back intermittently which appears to be a “thing” as does the sound of fuel sloshing in the tank (though not all the time)
Biggest niggle by far over everything else is the pants design of the wing mirrors, when it rains and you’re doing any kind of speed (40+) the water drifts up the gap between the mirror and the door and obscures the view of the mirror. Not noticed this behaviour on other cars, so it’s a bit of a poor show on the design there.

Cheers for this. Really helpful real user review. Mine wont be brand new, I will be aiming for the lower end of secondhand. Though I am seeing some Sport versions or Titanium with Lux packs for sub £24k now.

Soldato
Reminds me of one of our group last time we went to the states, kept insisting there was something seriously odd with his car......discovered a week later he thought you should left foot brake in an auto

I would laugh but first time I drove an auto I did an unexpected emergency stop when my left foot went for the imaginary clutch and hit the brakes very hard :o
Damn that heavy left foot, lucky no one else was around.

Soldato

I got this through to my other half by telling her to put her left foot on the footrest and imagine its stuck there and must never move. When she wanted to get out of the car after the first drive doing this she was unable to move her left leg - it must have had some sort of hypnotic effect! However, she immediately acknowledged an automatic was better and drove it regularly thereafter.

We're back to square one since I changed to a Mercedes C350e and is baffled by the lack of drive selector in the centre of the car!

Associate

The mk4 Mondeo did this, I waxed\polished the window and this helped.

Soldato

I was the same when I got my 911 Tiptronic. Had never owned or driven an auto.

I was advised to use my right foot as normal but fold my left leg under my right leg until I'm used to it to stop pressing on the brake.

It worked and I had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom