Advises for my Upgrade

Permabanned
Hi everyone,

I'm writing to hear what the outcome of such a configuration will be. Any remarks from you will be highly appreciated.

I have the following parts:
Graphics: Sapphire R9 380 4GB Nitro;
Power supply: OCZ ProXStream 1000W;
CPU cooler: Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme Black Edition 6 (upgradable with AM4 kit);
Fans for the CPU cooler: 2 x Logisys Computer 120mm LED Green;
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus;
Hard drive: Seagate 1 TB ST1000VX000;
Optical: Optiarc DVD-RW;
Keyboard: Logitech Wave;
Mouse: Genius NetScroll 100X;
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64.

And wanna replace my old other parts with the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £752.42
(includes shipping: £10.50)

For a monitor I'd like something in the lines of a 24, max 27" 4K UHD with maxumim colours, 10-bit, etc.
Like Acer S7, BenQ, less likely Dell?

How do you think? Will it be a good machine with overall high performance?
TBH, I expect some gaming at 4K too, of course where appropriate with lowered settings.

Soldato
More costly and not as pretty as the MSI but ASRock Taichi, that and the Crosshair are the best Ryzen boards hands down for b350/x370 chip

Memory, 8 Packs 3600hz ram kit, you'll hit 3466 , maybe with slightly higher CL depending on how your cores Cashe and IMC is , luck of the draw.
I think those trident kits are Samsung d-bie, at least from 3400hz + so should stand a good chance to be honest maybe with small timing tweaks . They are doing a Ryzen kit only ! Worth a look on their website for the serial code , either a z or X at the end I think

Permabanned
OP
More costly and not as pretty as the MSI but ASRock Taichi, that and the Crosshair are the best Ryzen boards hands down for b350/x370 chip

Memory, 8 Packs 3600hz ram kit, you'll hit 3466 , maybe with slightly higher CL depending on how your cores Cashe and IMC is , luck of the draw.
I think those trident kits are Samsung d-bie, at least from 3400hz + so should stand a good chance to be honest maybe with small timing tweaks . They are doing a Ryzen kit only ! Worth a look on their website for the serial code , either a z or X at the end I think

Many thanks.
Will change to AsRock Taichi.
If those memory modules can't be OCed to 3600 like their specifications and rating states, can you please say which brand and modules will hit 3600 with the highest possible likelihood?
Thanks once more :)

Soldato
Many thanks.
Will change to AsRock Taichi.
If those memory modules can't be OCed to 3600 like their specifications and rating states, can you please say which brand and modules will hit 3600 with the highest possible likelihood?
Thanks once more :)

Have to ask @8 Pack on that one ! He's used and knows the Taichi board better then anyone - although he's not fond on RGB sticks haha .
As many have found sweet spot is 3000/3200 and then getting timings as tight as you can if you've got a lucky chip - but have found rendering over days on a friend's build, faster ram can help, we are talking few hours - but that's over days of rendering - couldn't say 100% hitting 3600hz would get you more drama then 3200.

Next micro code from AMD may improve
timings more- but no idea when any of that rolls in

OcUK Staff
None can consistently because for 3600Mhz you need good Imc.

Best buy is 8Pack 3200 sticks as they always do 3333Mhz and often higher. On ryzen it's not the stocks the limiting factor it's Imc. On Intel the 3200Mhz kit can hit 3866-4k always c18-19.

Permabanned
OP
Your replies are so precious. Thanks.
Since I love overclocking to squeeze as much as possible performance, I'd love to see where my Ryzen and memory modules would go.
Ryzen likes higher memory speeds to unleash its full potential.

My new basket is:

Total: £819.46

Soldato
Swap out the 3200 for the 3600 kit. Coming from the man himself it's the better kit and able to hit 4000hz on Intel setups . That will be your best shot, or give best timings if speed is slightly slower.
Both are Samsung B-die units which help massively

Permabanned
OP
Swap out the 3200 for the 3600 kit. Coming from the man himself it's the better kit and able to hit 4000hz on Intel setups . That will be your best shot, or give best timings if speed is slightly slower.
Both are Samsung B-die units which help massively

Ok :)

Total: £819.46

Can you please advise a silent case with noise reduction/isolation and a silent power supply unit?
beQuiet? https://www.bequiet.com/en/case

Soldato
@4K8KW10

Stunning case - now comes in limited white with 2000 units made, 50 to ocuk

Also, with their PSU they do underated their eff rating... But only their flagship has Jap caps which is surprising as their whole range isn't cheap .
Superflower , white, cable ports also have a white light, makes nicely but not sure on your power needs

Total: £530.55
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Ocuk don't stock corsairs white PSU range :(

Permabanned
OP
Can you please give other options with more modest and affordable prices? Limited budget up to £150 max total for both :)
I don't have so many bucks (£530 :eek: ) for a case and a power supply.

Can you also advise about the position of the fans over the CPU cooler. Should they be in push*-pull*, push-push, pull-pull, in what exactly position should I put them?

*push - I mean towards the cooler;
*pull - I mean from the cooler outward

Soldato
Can you please give other options with more modest and affordable prices? Limited budget up to £150 max total for both :)
I don't have so many bucks (£530 :eek: ) for a case and a power supply.

Can you also advise about the position of the fans over the CPU cooler. Should they be in push*-pull*, push-push, pull-pull, in what exactly position should I put them?

*push - I mean towards the cooler;
*pull - I mean from the cooler outward

haha sorry, couldnt resist-

again not sure on your total power need but p300 is cheapest (nicest budget case) Glass panel case and does a nice job- coolmaster do a series for £44 but the full window panel is acrylic :(

EVGA use superflower as the OEM but ask for a few extras :) also warranty is one of the best- check out evga website for their warranties

Total: £154.90
(includes shipping: £0.00)

also two others , slightly cheaper- bequiet for- quietness and believe its almost Gold rated but they understate it and superflower plat rating - got it in friends build- not modular

Total: £176.94

and for a silent case...bequiet lol. but might have to move around pricing with a psu to get it to £150

Total: £84.95

Last edited:
Associate
Permabanned
OP
@4K8KW10

Stunning case - now comes in limited white with 2000 units made, 50 to ocuk

Also, with their PSU they do underated their eff rating... But only their flagship has Jap caps which is surprising as their whole range isn't cheap .
Superflower , white, cable ports also have a white light, makes nicely but not sure on your power needs

Total: £530.55
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Ocuk don't stock corsairs white PSU range :(

I like this case, it's cheaper and as beautiful:

Total: £54.05
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Permabanned
OP
Since I am much too late into the life span of Ryzen First generation, the wise decision is to skip it and postpone the upgrade.

Waiting indefinitely for better times, perhaps with Ryzen Second generation and more human RAM prices.

Soldato
Since I am much too late into the life span of Ryzen First generation, the wise decision is to skip it and postpone the upgrade.

Waiting indefinitely for better times, perhaps with Ryzen Second generation and more human RAM prices.

Wouldn't say your late, last time I checked was q2 potential for zen+
Still a lot of market to capture with current ryzen which has barely any wastage from production.
If your going to wait, wait for Zen2 and patch up current rig :)

Permabanned
OP
I will defnitely wait for more human 4K monitors prices, more human RAM prices and future Ryzen at that time.
Until then, I'm forgetting about desktop PCs. Should be able to survive on an old notebook. :(

Thanks, PC industry! You make everything possible even people who like you, to escape from you...

Soldato
I will defnitely wait for more human 4K monitors prices, more human RAM prices and future Ryzen at that time.
Until then, I'm forgetting about desktop PCs. Should be able to survive on an old notebook. :(

Thanks, PC industry! You make everything possible even people who like you, to escape from you...

4K HDR 120hz monitors should be around the block. Don't care much for 4k or above 144hz but HDR, pc monitors missed a trick there and console gamers and TVs have been able to get stunning visuals :(
Rather have a 1440p 60hz with some nice HDR to soak it all in :)

The thing is, you wait and they'll always be more tech around the corner coming or on paper, just buy what you can afford at the time, upgrade when you can, then new build when it's more cost effective. Technically jumping Nvidia 50Ti or 60 series every year is more cost effective as you can sell old one for half return as well as pic up a good performance jump, going higher forces you to keep card longer

Back
Top Bottom