The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
I completed on my first buy about 3 weeks ago. Offer was made and accepted mid July. All things considered, it went smoothly but solicitors were the bane of my life for those few months.

I used a local firm but could never get hold of my actual solicitor in the first place. They'd want to know things from me but whenever I contacted them, they were in a meeting or unwell and I'd have to leave messages that never got acted on. Eventually the estate agents contacted me and said they were having the same problems and had been told my solicitor had apparently left the practice. So my case was assigned to another solicitor at the practice and all seemed well. I put my searches in but when I started to get paperwork sent, there would be stuff from other people's conveyances in there like random boiler certificates and at the same time be missing the actual paperwork that was meant to be in there that I would then have to ring up about. Best bit was I ended up getting billed for the extra paperwork and phone calls!

My conveyance ultimately was handed to one of the main partners in the firm. Great! Unfortunately he went on holiday quite a few times and being old skool, I'm not sure he wasn't still using oil lamps and telegraphs considering the speed it took him to send stuff. I ended up getting more done and finding more stuff out by talking to the estate agents. Case in point, on the day of completion, my solicitor was meant to be calling me to let me know when I could go and pick up the keys from the estate agents. I actually got the call from him when I was stood in my new kitchen as the estate agents called 2 hours before him.

Soldato
How do you guys pay the deposit? By bank transfer or cheque. I would be terrified transferring large amount of money when all those phishing stuff is going on.

Majority of people pay by bank transfer and its amazing how few clients are actually cautious about it :eek:. We aren't allowed to send bank details out by email as the only source of reliance anymore. Basically ask for a letter with the details on then phone them up to confirm the details using a number previously used or the one on the website. Only way to be 100% certain is cheque though.

Associate
Majority of people pay by bank transfer and its amazing how few clients are actually cautious about it :eek:. We aren't allowed to send bank details out by email as the only source of reliance anymore. Basically ask for a letter with the details on then phone them up to confirm the details using a number previously used or the one on the website. Only way to be 100% certain is cheque though.
I read some of the stories and it's scary world. Loosing thousands by stupid scammers.

Soldato
Offer was accepted two weeks ago on a 3 bed property but yesterday I found out through my broker that my solicitor is not on the panel for the mortgage company :(

Broker has recommended one in Oxford who they have worked with in the past who are good. Price wise they are charging £1,150 all in.

Survey on the property was done Monday gone and on coming Monday is the property valuation survey by the mortgage provider. So everything is moving fast...

Must admit my broker has been spot on in the whole process so far and keeps me updated every day by email and call.

Soldato
Looking to sell my place and buy a house near where I used to live, looks like it needs some work but I see a lot of potential in it.

Fortunately the kitchen and bathrooms are in reasonable condition, but the rest of the house needs a good re-decoration, and the windows look like they have seen better days. This is going to be new carpets everywhere, painting, possibly some plaster work.

Gearing up things, got the solicitor ready to start work once mine is sold.

@mrk snapped some pics of my house for me, cheers mate! :) Estate agent did offer to come over and do it but fitting them in around work is harder for me and I wanted to get onto the market as soon as I could.

Estate agent has been negotiated with to charge 0.7% + VAT instead of 1% + VAT on my lowest expected sale price.

To make it up to them I said if they get more I will give them more, so if they sell for the upper bracket of their valuation they will get more than the flat fee they offered me. If they sell for the lower end they will get less than the fixed price they quoted me.

Soldato
Depends, our total came to about £1300 (they had to do a few extras, get some indemnities) etc. Leasehold flat @ £420k. They did get us from offer to completion in a month though. So worth every penny.

In the end I kept my existing one as it turned out that they were on the panel of mortgage provider and they are charging me £849 all in.

Soldato
Not had any interest or viewings on mine yet, it's in a bit of an out of the way location, but it's certainly not been flooded with viewing requests!

Always said the right thing should sell at the right price within a couple of weeks. I think mine is competitively priced so hopefully get some interest in it.

Back
Top Bottom