Need a new case for a home server

Associate
Hi, my faithful little HP Microserver N54l is finally getting too old and so I'm going to replace it with a custom build server instead. I've got various internal bits already from other PC's that I can get it going with but I need a new case to put it all in.

Now I want the case to be suitable for a long time with some flexibility for upgrades in the future so the requirements are as follows: -

• Minimum of 4, ideally 6 3.5" x drive bays that are easily accessible.
  • At least 2 x 2.5" ssd mounting points or bays.
  • Plain and simple looking in black, no 'gamer' designs or LEDs all over it.
  • Quiet but with enough airflow to keep cool with 24x7 operation.
  • Not too large.
  • Budget around £75.
I was looking at the Fractal Design R4 but that's a bit on the large side really. Maybe the Antec One Gaming instead? a bit simpler but seems pretty decent?

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Associate
Fractal Design Node 804?

Recently moved my homeserver to this case, and was great to build. You can mount 2x ssd or 2.5" drives behind the front panel

Airflow is excellent, I have 7x 3.5" drives installed and drives temps are around 35 degrees. (1x ssd behind front panel for OS)

Also you can mount 2x 3.5" drives at the bottom of the case (mobo side) so effectively 10x3.5" drives + 2x2.5" drives all in.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/fractal-design-node-804-micro-atx-case-black-window-ca-022-fd.html

Associate
OP
Ah good call, that looks great, I'll have to wait until I get home to measure the space where it needs to go though to check it can fit a case that wide. If it does fit then that looks pretty much perfect. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yeah I was looking at that one along with the R4, does look very nice but again possibly just a bit too big, the One gaming seemed to offer similar capacity but at a smaller size and price although without all the silencing and a slightly cheaper look.
Does look very nice in black though....

Back
Top Bottom