7900X - Stability Benchmarks

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Hi,

I've been playing around with the O/C on my new setup which on the whole seems to be going well. However, when use a x47 multiplier (or more and cooling seems manageable) on the MB and then run Intel XTU benchmark the system powers off and reboots. Some times its straight away or sometime its after 10/15 seconds or so. Most other benchmarks / stability tools seems to run fine so I've been trying to isolate the cause of the reboots.

I'm guessing its ether thermals or its something to do with the cache?

Here is what I have tried already:

I've changed the following settings as I thought I was bumping into power limits:

BIOS Settings:

CPU SVID Support [Disabled]
CPU Current Capability [140%]
Long Duration Package Power Limit [4095]
Short Duration Package Power Limit [4095]

So next I thought it would be a LLC based problem, so I have changed that to LLC6 which seems a little more stable but the difference isnt much between Auto and LLC6.

I've also set the following volts from Auto to manual on the MB:

vCore: 1.200 to 1.250
Cache CPU Cache Voltage Offset [0.050]
VICCN: 1.9

Running the Mesh at the follow:

Min. CPU Cache Ratio [24]
Max. CPU Cache Ratio [24]

It some times plays ball but its been hit and miss.

My other system specs are:

CPU: i9-7900X
MB: Asus Rampage VI Extreme
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 C16
PSU: Seasonic Prime Platinium 1200W

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I think I've cracked it.

Looks like it was the AVX/AVX 512 offsets, I assume these draw crazy amount of power which the board can't supply hence the reboot.

Associate
What settings are you running at the moment? I'll hopefully receive the exact setup you got here so would like to have a play :). I'll have a learning curve as the last CPU I overclocked was my X5690 and there's been a few changes since then!

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
What settings are you running at the moment? I'll hopefully receive the exact setup you got here so would like to have a play :). I'll have a learning curve as the last CPU I overclocked was my X5690 and there's been a few changes since then!

I'm currently running the following settings as they have been working well, I'm just running the RAM at the XMP profile speeds for the moment as i've not had time to sit down and properly tune it to where its stable.

I've changed the following settings in the BIOS/UEFI but your settings may vary.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP]
XMP [XMP DDR4-3603 16-16-16-36-1.350V]
CPU Strap [100]
BCLK Frequency [100.0000]
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [3]
AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [5]
CPU Core Ratio [Sync All Cores]
ALL-Core Ratio Limit [47]
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [32]
Max. CPU Cache Ratio [32]
DRAM Frequency [DDR4-3600MHz]
CPU Core Voltage [Manual Mode]
CPU Core Voltage Override [1.178]
DRAM Voltage(CHA, CHB) [1.3500]
DRAM Voltage(CHC, CHD) [1.3500]
CPU Load-line Calibration [Level 6]

I'd recommend running the 0802 or 1002 BIOS on these boards at the moment. There is a 1003 available but i'd give it a little while yet. I know the CPU will push 5Ghz with ease but when I have time ill create a few profiles for it one for benching and the other for daily use.

Associate
I'm currently running the following settings as they have been working well, I'm just running the RAM at the XMP profile speeds for the moment as i've not had time to sit down and properly tune it to where its stable.

I've changed the following settings in the BIOS/UEFI but your settings may vary.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP]
XMP [XMP DDR4-3603 16-16-16-36-1.350V]
CPU Strap [100]
BCLK Frequency [100.0000]
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [3]
AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [5]
CPU Core Ratio [Sync All Cores]
ALL-Core Ratio Limit [47]
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [32]
Max. CPU Cache Ratio [32]
DRAM Frequency [DDR4-3600MHz]
CPU Core Voltage [Manual Mode]
CPU Core Voltage Override [1.178]
DRAM Voltage(CHA, CHB) [1.3500]
DRAM Voltage(CHC, CHD) [1.3500]
CPU Load-line Calibration [Level 6]

I'd recommend running the 0802 or 1002 BIOS on these boards at the moment. There is a 1003 available but i'd give it a little while yet. I know the CPU will push 5Ghz with ease but when I have time ill create a few profiles for it one for benching and the other for daily use.

Cheers. I received my pre-binned 7900x but I didn't get any settings or anything on it like I thought I would.

Soldato
You can use the following to test:

Realbench
Prime95 (You can disable the avx in the config)
Aida64 (If you have CPUZ open while running this you will see your cpu multi to drop to the AVX Value)
Passmark Burn In Tests
CPUZ now has a stress test

Also a couple of rendering related benchmarks/stress tests can flag up problems:

Blender
Cinebench R15

The issue I find is that quite a few stress tests will just blast the cpu usage to 100% and that's where it will stay till it finishes. Where to test stability in a real use scenario it need to be constantly changing workloads and maximum stress levels. This is where Cinebench, Blender and Realbench come into play.

Associate
Oh really? So not even any vCore settings etc..?
Nope, just says 4.8ghz and that it was 69 degrees. No voltage nor multi, although that's easy to work out. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out but I guess I just wanted to fire it up as soon as I got it all. I thought you got a piece of paper that tells you but I checked the box.

Maybe @8 Pack can shed some light.

Associate
You can use the following to test:

Realbench
Prime95 (You can disable the avx in the config)
Aida64 (If you have CPUZ open while running this you will see your cpu multi to drop to the AVX Value)
Passmark Burn In Tests
CPUZ now has a stress test

Also a couple of rendering related benchmarks/stress tests can flag up problems:

Blender
Cinebench R15

The issue I find is that quite a few stress tests will just blast the cpu usage to 100% and that's where it will stay till it finishes. Where to test stability in a real use scenario it need to be constantly changing workloads and maximum stress levels. This is where Cinebench, Blender and Realbench come into play.

Is Intel Burn Test still a good stress test? I've been using that for a long time

Soldato
not really as it REALLY hammers the AVX to the level of unrealistic workloads and causes it to pull silly voltage. Even Intel don't advocate the use of this util anymore.

Back
Top Bottom