KTM 790 Duke

Man of Honour
It's too heavy, which is very unlike ktm. It doesn't compare well with the street triple (heavier, less power, lower quality brakes and suspension) and the 690 is more appealing to me at only 149kg.

I really wanted the 790 to be my next bike but it falls far too short for me.

Soldato
OP
It's too heavy, which is very unlike ktm. It doesn't compare well with the street triple (heavier, less power, lower quality brakes and suspension) and the 690 is more appealing to me at only 149kg.

Yeah maybe little heavy but this isn't stripped bare super moto. With a lithium battery and titanium system I'm sure you'd get it closer to 160Kg.

150Kg is heavy for that type of bike. If you want a proper balls to wall lightweight then Husaberg or Husquvana SMR are hard to beat. Those are around 100Kg.

Soldato
They sound AIDS m7

No worse than a v twin.

They've made it with a 270 degree crank, so it sounds just like a V-twin. :p

I know you like your light bikes, but it's only 4KG heavier (dry weight) than the Street triple RS? 77nm torue @ 10800rpm for the triumph, vs 86nm @ 8000rpm for the KTM. More low down torque and more of it overall, so what that it's down 20bhp!! :D I agree on the brakes and suspension, but then the KTM has better electronics, so there's that.

For me it'd be the KTM, looks nicer, has more torque, better sounding, up and down blipper, and so long as the suspension does the job well (should do being WP) then it's all good :D

Soldato
OP
They've made it with a 270 degree crank, so it sounds just like a V-twin. :p

I know you like your light bikes, but it's only 4KG heavier (dry weight) than the Street triple RS? 77nm torue @ 10800rpm for the triumph, vs 86nm @ 8000rpm for the KTM. More low down torque and more of it overall, so what that it's down 20bhp!! :D I agree on the brakes and suspension, but then the KTM has better electronics, so there's that.

For me it'd be the KTM, looks nicer, has more torque, better sounding, up and down blipper, and so long as the suspension does the job well (should do being WP) then it's all good :D

Should be nice with a 270 crank and 9000 RPM. Revy enough but with good spread of power. I bet 790R get bigger brakes, harder suspension and probably make a bit more at the top end.

Man of Honour

The order of importance for me is suspension, geometry, brakes, weight, sound, torque, power, tank range, aesthetics.

The 790 is just not good enough on paper for those top priorities. We'll see how it is when I can test ride one though.

Soldato

That’s an MT-09, new street triple, bmw s1000r and now the KTM 790 as your “next” bike :p

Man of Honour
That’s an MT-09, new street triple, bmw s1000r and now the KTM 790 as your “next” bike :p

and the 390, 690, MT-10 and an older Street Triple R.

They all are a disappointment in one way or another :p

Annoyingly loads of bike have changed a lot recently (Street Triple, MT09 SP, Duke 790) which makes them very expensive, and I don't want to envy the newer models with their LCD screens and auto blippers.

Soldato
OP
and the 390, 690, MT-10 and an older Street Triple R.

They all are a disappointment in one way or another :p

Annoyingly loads of bike have changed a lot recently (Street Triple, MT09 SP, Duke 790) which makes them very expensive, and I don't want to envy the newer models with their LCD screens and auto blippers.

You need an RD500. Candy blue goodness.

Back
Top Bottom