A little help with CPU Cooler and PSU is needed

Associate
Hi guys, My post basically consists of two separate questions which I will condense into one post instead of posting two threads.

1) I have recently purchased the new intel i7 8700k, and the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MoBo to go with it. I have also bought a new PC case, which is the GameMax Falcon. I am looking for a new cooler as my current one has now took its last breath.

I would probably prefer an air based cooler, though a water cooler within my budget may be possible? I just want something which I know will (a) keep my new powerful CPU cool when overclocking and (b) fit into my new case.

My budget, ideally, is up to £80. I can go above that at a stretch if the cooler is REALLY worth that extra bit of money. I have had my eye on the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Is this a good pick?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) When I finally install all my new upgrades, this will be my spec (excluding the new cooler mentioned above):

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU: intel i7 8700k
RAM: 16gb DDR4 vengeance LPX (2x8gb)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital WDC
Case: GameMax Falcon

My PSU is only three months old, it is an EVGA Supernova 750 G2L, 80+ Gold 750W. My question is basically, will this PSU be enough to handle my new rig with/without overclocking (again note my potential CPU cooler is not involved in the above yet)

Thanks for any help that comes!

Soldato
Hello mate and welcome to the forums.

To answer your first question due to the size limitations of your case I would recommend the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler which comes just under your budget. I'm a massive fan of Be Quiet! Products, I would recommend upgrading the stock fan to the silent wings 3 high speed fan or getting one and doing a push pull configuration.

To answer your second question your PSU is more than enough for what you're running, EVGA products are solid in my experience and with its gold rating will do you nicely for overclocking plus future upgrades etc.

I will also add that those stock fans with your case probably aren't up to much, cheap cases usually come with awful stock fans. Especially as you only get two, seriously consider swapping them out, again I'd go for Silent Wings 3 high speed, better air flow and much quieter.

Associate
Hi guys, My post basically consists of two separate questions which I will condense into one post instead of posting two threads.

1) I have recently purchased the new intel i7 8700k, and the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MoBo to go with it. I have also bought a new PC case, which is the GameMax Falcon. I am looking for a new cooler as my current one has now took its last breath.

I would probably prefer an air based cooler, though a water cooler within my budget may be possible? I just want something which I know will (a) keep my new powerful CPU cool when overclocking and (b) fit into my new case.

My budget, ideally, is up to £80. I can go above that at a stretch if the cooler is REALLY worth that extra bit of money. I have had my eye on the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Is this a good pick?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) When I finally install all my new upgrades, this will be my spec (excluding the new cooler mentioned above):

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU: intel i7 8700k
RAM: 16gb DDR4 vengeance LPX (2x8gb)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital WDC
Case: GameMax Falcon

My PSU is only three months old, it is an EVGA Supernova 750 G2L, 80+ Gold 750W. My question is basically, will this PSU be enough to handle my new rig with/without overclocking (again note my potential CPU cooler is not involved in the above yet)

Thanks for any help that comes!
Your case supports a max CPU cooler height of 161mm:
http://www.gamemax.uk/products_162_106.html

Unfortunately all the coolers I would have recommended; Noctua NH-D15, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and Cryorig R1 are all slightly too tall.

But, the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT just fits at 159mm:
http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/56/le-grand-macho-rt

Reviews indicate that this cooler performs similarly to the 3 previously mentioned. You just need to hope that both Thermalright and Gamemax are accurate with their measurements, as 2mm is not much at all.

Your EVGA PSU is absolutely fine - it's actually massively overkill with just that GTX 760 installed.

Last edited:
Associate
I assume that you will replace that 760 next, and even then the PSU will do anything you decide to buy, so yes, it's just fine. A 1070 is something like three times faster than that 760.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I will upgrade my GPU at some point yes, but my CPU was a higher priority for me, as most of the games I play are more CPU intensive. I play mainly grand strategy games, or simulation games that require a lot of AI processing (Stellaris from Paradox is one example). I don't really play many graphically intensive games.

Regarding the CPU cooler, the two options (Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT / Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3) seem pretty well matched to me. If I am going to overclock the 8700k at some point in the future will these be able to handle it, or am I best sticking to stock speeds for now? I am a novice at overclocking and don't want to ruin my new CPU.

Associate
Thanks guys. I will upgrade my GPU at some point yes, but my CPU was a higher priority for me, as most of the games I play are more CPU intensive. I play mainly grand strategy games, or simulation games that require a lot of AI processing (Stellaris from Paradox is one example). I don't really play many graphically intensive games.

Regarding the CPU cooler, the two options (Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT / Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3) seem pretty well matched to me. If I am going to overclock the 8700k at some point in the future will these be able to handle it, or am I best sticking to stock speeds for now? I am a novice at overclocking and don't want to ruin my new CPU.

When did you get the case, is it returnable? I ask, as all the coolers we've recommended only have 1-2mm clearance in your case, so might not fit well.

Soldato
Either of those cpu coolers are good for overclocking, the Be Quiet is better quality though.

I'm not a massive fan of the case you've chosen either, I think its cheap tat and will probably be a pain to build in.

Associate
OP
The case is returnable. I bought it a couple of days ago, so I am happy to return the case and get a different one. It cost me £50.

In which case, my budget for a case is probably around the £80 mark, but similar to the cooler I am willing to go slightly above that if it means a massive step up in quality.

And I know this is possibly me being fussy, but I do like the case being white, and also with the ability to project LED lights. I like my cases to look aesthetically pleasing, if that is possible with my budget

Associate
The case is returnable. I bought it a couple of days ago, so I am happy to return the case and get a different one. It cost me £50.

In which case, my budget for a case is probably around the £80 mark, but similar to the cooler I am willing to go slightly above that if it means a massive step up in quality.

And I know this is possibly me being fussy, but I do like the case being white, and also with the ability to project LED lights. I like my cases to look aesthetically pleasing, if that is possible with my budget
You could just get the Thermalright and see if it fits. It should do by 2mm.

I can't find any other cases within your budget that have much bigger CPU cooler height allowances. The Corsair Carbide Series 400C has more clearance, but is slightly out of budget.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Although my case is cheap I do think I may try one of the two CPU coolers mentioned above and hope they fit .. I can always return them if not.

I have already spent a large amount of money on my CPU-MOBO-DDR4 combo so I can't really afford a big expensive case right now

Soldato
If you had a much larger budget I couldn't recommend the Dark Base Pro White by Be Quiet! I've recently bought this case and absolutely love it, best case I've ever built in bar none and it's everything you want including white and led's but at almost triple your budget!

What you have to remember is that at a lower price point you're going to have to make compromises however for £100 You have to consider the Phanteks Enthoo pro Mid tower with window in white. There's no LED's I don't think but it's that massive step up in quality for an additional £20 that you're after. LED strips can also be added later, and for a mid tower case it has an impressive 193mm cpu cooler clearance so can fit better coolers. I'd definitely go with the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU cooler. That's again personal preference but I prefer my fans the quieter the better and you don't lose out on temps either. With that case though you can pretty much fit any air cooler you want, noctua coolers would probably be my other choice for air.

Associate
OP
Just an update to everyone who helped, and I guess anyone who finds this thread through google,

I kept the case I have, and I did end up buying the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU. It does actually fit in the case. Granted, it is close, but it does fit nonetheless.
The PSU I have though, does not fit in the case properly. Well, it FITS in, but the screws don't like up with the holes correctly.

I will probably upgrade the case when I am able in the future, but this one works fornow.

Also, I've been monitoring my 8700k temperatures and all seems to be well. Even while gaming I haven't seen the CPU does above 45 degrees yet.

Thanks for the CPU cooler advice. It seems like listening to these helpful forums has paid off again :)

Back
Top Bottom