*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Lots of potential good news, if its real that is...

I would be quite happy for a lot of that. The news of Pokemon Stars being a tech demo only to ensure they can develop on Switch is actually good news to me. I'd much rather see a ground up game using the power of the Switch more effectively than a port of Pokemon Sun/Moon. Pokemon games could be so much more without being crippled incessantly by weak handheld hardware. The Switch should offer MUCH more capability, and room for an all round rethink and a much bigger game. Much, MUCH rather they do a proper job and we end up with something a substantial step forward than a year old game port; even if I do like the originals.

In a way, I'd also hope things like the Mother news is correct; best they pace releases than we get release droughts like previous recent Nintendo consoles; keeping the releases evenly paces ensures the momentum keeps going :)
My wife will be seriously psyched if we get a new Animal Crossing; although it may be the last I see of the Switch lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Rocket League, my review: The jaggies are real. :(

It looks very, very jarring when comparing it to the other platform experiences. Lower resolution, no anti-aliasing and reduced effects results in a really crude graphical experience. I'm quite disappointed by what they've delivered here. It almost looks like a game from the PS2 era.

Yes. It's very smooth and does look like 60fps handheld with minimal drops, which is more important than looks in this game. It's somewhat amazing to have this title handheld.. but... yeah, it's rather ugly.

Definitely the worst looking game I've yet to encounter on the Switch, which makes it even more surprising and disappointing to a degree, as everything else I've experienced on the Switch has been beautiful.

I guess beauty is only skin deep?! Hmm.. no. This surely has room for improvement.

Last edited:
Soldato
So pre-ordered Skyrim from the South African E Shop.

Downloaded and ready for the unlock on Friday.

Looking forward to it.

I am used to being mod heavy with the game, so it will be interesting to see how I feel about it in its vanilla form.

The prospect of playing Skyrim on the 'go' though was too much of a temptation to resist.

p.s : I already had the digital version of Mario Odyssey and after Skyrim was on it, I was left with just over 4gb of internal storage. Time to invest in a microSD card it seems!

Without pouring through the 500+ pages here, anyone have any recommendations?

Caporegime
Without pouring through the 500+ pages here, anyone have any recommendations?

Generally speaking, the cheapest class 10 you can find from a reputable brand.

I have a 128gb Toshiba. Does the job just fine! Others have Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar etc...all seem to work the same from what I can tell. I think the speed the card is accessed is limited so its pointless buying a super fast card or something silly expensive.

Soldato
Generally speaking, the cheapest class 10 you can find from a reputable brand.

I have a 128gb Toshiba. Does the job just fine! Others have Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar etc...all seem to work the same from what I can tell. I think the speed the card is accessed is limited so its pointless buying a super fast card or something silly expensive.

Thanks, I will take a look.

The problem in buying anything over in India is that so many stores sell knock off dodgy SD cards.

Soldato
I read about Rocket League being a bit fugly in handheld but users seem to be pretty pleased that the devs have got it running smoothly with little or no fps drops and they are enjoying the online experience. The game doesn't really appeal to me though. I tried it on the PS4 but only for a little while and was a bit 'meh' so I'm not sure. I'll keep an eye on it but it isn't on my must buy list.

Man of Honour
Stupid question here, but does the Switch run full speed when it's undocked but plugged into a charger, or only when it's docked? :)

Only when docked. The screen is only 720p so no need to run at full clocks anyway, plus it gets very hot at full speed which may hurt your hands. Running the screen would increase the heat generated too.

Man of Honour
I really like my green and pink splatoon set, and the deep red mario ones I have are very nice too.

I'm not a big fan of the neon red colour but a pair of the blue ones also looks nice.

The yellow ones aren't nice.

Back
Top Bottom