Where to find Chroma values for a monitor/TV?

Associate
Hi All,
If I am interested in purchasing a tv or monitor where do I find the chroma values? The manuals for most TVs don't seem to have them.
Thanks,
iq

Associate
You mean like chroma subsampling? Practically all monitors use 4:4:4. Whereas most TVs use 4:2:0, but some have 4:4:4. This is because most input/signal sources used with TVs use 4:2:0, as well. So no benefit to provide 4:4:4.

Or at least ~5 years ago this was the case. Not sure whether 4:4:4 has gained more popularity since then.

As to where to find them, you indeed need to look upon third-party reviews. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ used to do great reviews, but for a few years now, they've focused on £2000-£5000 sets, so they're not of much use, anymore.

Associate
I wouldn't give that much credit on them, to be honest. It's a very niche detail, so you would have to get a hold of someone who is very clued-in about their products. I would think their basic pre-sales support personnel have a list of features that are most commonly asked about, and chroma subsampling most certainly ain't one of them.

But yes, if they DO happen to have that information at hand, I don't see any reason why they would try to hide it. "4:2:0" is not by any means a flaw in a TV, it is perfectly acceptable for what a TV is designed to do, so there is no shame in telling it.

Back
Top Bottom