How far is your commute to work?

Soldato
I do about 75 miles each way and it takes 1hr 40 to 2hr. That's car >> local train >> high speed train >> bus >> walk.

I've commuted for 20 years (car and public transport) and have the following advice:

• The quality of the journey is important, more so than the length of the commute up to a point. In a car is it relaxing and congestion free? On a train will you be standing elbows in each other's faces or always get a seat
  • Be clear on the door-to-door time. Parking at a train station for example in Woking, Surrey adds 15 minutes to your journey. At Wye in Kent it's next to the platform and so adds 60 seconds.
  • On your way to work you generally have more certainty than on the way back. You tend to set off at a specific time or catch a certain train. Look at the journey from the way back perspective as worst case and make sure you are comfortable.
Despite my current commute being my longest ever it is my most enjoyable. The bulk of the journey is on HS1 where I get a seat, table and power and the 40 minute is precisely the right amount of time to watch an episode of an 'hour' long American TV show so I boxset binge. the train only shares the track with the Eurostar so nothing breaks down and the line is underground a lot meaning leaves on the line isn't an issue. The local station I get on is surrounded by fields and watching the sheep and birds waiting for a train in the morning isn't so bad. When I get to St Pancras if London public transport is fubared then I can walk to the office in an emergency. All these little things matter.
You must pretty much commute from the midlands to London every day, where about do you live?

Soldato
I'm a mobile worker so I don't have a base but I work nationally so it could be anything really, today was 2 hours there, do a day's graft and then 2 hours home.

It grates sometimes, especially if I'm already really tired before I even set off for home, I do get a lot of eye strain headaches from all the driving, especially at this time of year with all the glare from driving in the dark most of the time.

Soldato
I started a job with an 80 mile round trip across the Forth Bridge everyday. Sitting in massive queues everyday and only seeing my kids for an hour each night before bed was really tiring, and I hated it a lot. I did it for 10 months until I was offered my current job which is only a 1 mile round trip! I erm...still drive there though, but I have asked Santa to get me a bike for Christmas!

Soldato
I'm a mobile worker so I don't have a base but I work nationally so it could be anything really, today was 2 hours there, do a day's graft and then 2 hours home.

It grates sometimes, especially if I'm already really tired before I even set off for home, I do get a lot of eye strain headaches from all the driving, especially at this time of year with all the glare from driving in the dark most of the time.

yeah it's harsh driving this time of year, constant glare from brake and headlights especially in heavy traffic and rain makes it worse when reflecting off all the droplets

Soldato
About 7 steps. But then if I get called out it could be a 900 mile round trip. Or like this summer got called out for 1 night which turned into 7 weeks in Guildford.

Caporegime
13 miles. Takes 15-20 minutes. Pretty much a straight piece of road on the A16. I did it in 10 once when I worked night shift although looking back it was a silly thing to do as if I had been caught it wouldn't have been a good outcome.

Last edited:
Associate
19 miles - 30 mins max. I can't complain as there's hardly any traffic and although I have tractors to deal with 9 months of the year, there's plenty of places to overtake. I used to deal with M6 Birmingham centre everyday, where I could feel the anxiety building before I even got in the car.

Associate
I recently started a job which is a one and a half hour drive from my house, 40 minutes of which is M25.
I have been doing it 2 months and I am already sick of it but I will have to cope for at least another 10 months. Not ideal, but the job is worth it...

Back
Top Bottom