Ram pricing

Permabanned
Or more likely would be time for competition authorities to start looking into memory makers with magnifying glass in one hand and big club in other.

They have opted to slow down their capacity expansions and technology migrations so that they can keep next year’s prices at the same high level as during this year’s second half. Doing so will also help them to sustain a strong profit margin.
http://press.trendforce.com/press/20170920-2972.html

I wonder whether these "strong profit margins" result in increased absolute profit or because of the (much) lower demand, they are doing an evil favour both to the cutomers and to themselves. :rolleyes:

Associate
Memory prices increase every week, being happening for months and will continue going up throughout next year. I remember doing a 32Gb kit at £79.99, now the cheapest are £300+ and most are £350+ the days of cheap memory seem to be gone and unlikely to return. One can keep fingers crossed that maybe next Summer they will come back down to at least normal levels as in £50 for 8G, £100 for 16G and £200 for 32G would be a huge improvement on the current market pricing.
This has got to be the first time I have bought computer parts and their value has more than doubled in a years time. My 4x4gb ddr4 kit I got for £60 June last year haha.

It is a niggle, as it is stopping me upgrading my home server from a Devil Canyon i5 to Ryzen

Permabanned
Memory prices increase every week, being happening for months and will continue going up throughout next year. I remember doing a 32Gb kit at £79.99, now the cheapest are £300+ and most are £350+ the days of cheap memory seem to be gone and unlikely to return. One can keep fingers crossed that maybe next Summer they will come back down to at least normal levels as in £50 for 8G, £100 for 16G and £200 for 32G would be a huge improvement on the current market pricing.

Going from £80 up to £300+ means 3.75x+, which isn't normal regardless of how much/many factors contribute for the price increase/ price gouging.

This type of increase means that this particular industry is sick :eek:

Soldato
Can't be discounted. Happened before and could be happening again.

In 2002, the United States Department of Justice, under the Sherman Antitrust Act, began a probe into the activities of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) manufacturers.[citation needed] US computer makers, including Dell and Gateway, claimed that inflated DRAM pricing was causing lost profits and hindering their effectiveness in the marketplace.[citation needed]

To date, five manufacturers have pleaded guilty to their involvement in an international price-fixing conspiracy including Hynix, Infineon, Micron Technology, Samsung, and Elpida.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing

While it's happening, they'll use supply and demand as an excuse. If they are selling loads to Apple, their profit margins will be very healthy, so it's not quite a lack of supply. On the retailer side, it is understood that supply and demand forces price to go up a bit, to cover for loss (perceived or actual) in the number of sales. But that's usually in the 25-50% region as there has to be a limit. This reeks of more than just a supply/demand issue, if that at all.

Soldato
Having said that, Apple has long been guilty of charging exorbitant prices for hardware they don't even make themselves and can be bought much cheaper elsewhere, or used to be, as most everyone in tech knows. Being allowed to do this as they have would eventually lead to something like this, such as memory manufacturers thinking: oh yeah? You're charging £200 for what we sold you for £25? Well we'll just have to raise our prices too.

Like they say, one bad Apple spoils the whole barrel.

Associate
I was thinking about adding another 16GB of memory but changed my mind. The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8GB) 3200mhz cost me £100 last year, now it is £220 for the same set =/

Associate
Increase in DRAM price? Enter PCRAM ;)

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...acebook-text&utm_campaign=ramgeneration-16390
Computer manufactures are always looking for the next best technology, and thanks to an impressive bit of materials science, a little-used form of random access memory (RAM) could soon be taking over the insides of your personal computer. That’s because materials scientists in China have recently found a way to speed up—by more than a factor of 10—so-called phase-change random access memory (PCRAM), which can hold onto information even when your computer’s power is off.

Man of Honour
Definitely a blocker for me upgrading at the moment, I need more cpu threads for Mafia 3 but despite cpus falling a bit in price (i.e. decent options available under £200) the overall cost of upgrade is still high. I’d like to spend £350 on 16GB RAM, mobo and a 6 core cpu with overclocking potential, but the numbers don’t stack up at the moment.

OcUK Staff
I shall have some BF deals, hopefully some 16G kits around £150 which in the current climate is very good pricing, still terrible compared to a year ago but in the current market the best.

Associate
OcUK Staff
Quick question @Gibbo I ordered this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/g.sk...hannel-kit-f4-4266c19d-16gtzkw-my-10b-gs.html and I was told by staff on your customer service line that the item had come out of a quad channel kit and was repackaged.

I'm a little bit ocd, I assume the items are new right? and will it come in manufacturer packaging still?

Any reason why quad channel kits were split to sell as dual channel?

Thanks in advance

I am confused, I am guessing you spoke to someone who probably does not 100% understand.

G.Skill make the kits, so our staff member probably just assumed they test single sticks and then make dual and quad kits from them. No one at OcUK would open a quad kit and then make two dual kits, something we'd never do and something we don't have the ability to do either as we don't just have spare packaging, barcodes from G.Skill.

What he probably meant to say was you can simply buy two dual channel kits and they will run happily in quad channel, of course you might need to optimise some of the sub timings for quad channel compared to dual channel and that is something 8 Pack could help you with if you gave him a shout on the forum. :)

Associate
I am confused, I am guessing you spoke to someone who probably does not 100% understand.

G.Skill make the kits, so our staff member probably just assumed they test single sticks and then make dual and quad kits from them. No one at OcUK would open a quad kit and then make two dual kits, something we'd never do and something we don't have the ability to do either as we don't just have spare packaging, barcodes from G.Skill.

What he probably meant to say was you can simply buy two dual channel kits and they will run happily in quad channel, of course you might need to optimise some of the sub timings for quad channel compared to dual channel and that is something 8 Pack could help you with if you gave him a shout on the forum. :)

Thanks a lot for the explanation. It’s much appreciated.

I did think it was unusual that you’d split quad channel kits and sell them as dual channel to be honest.

What made me call and query my order initially was to confirm that it was infact 2x8gb and not 4x4gb. As the listing states 2x8gb but quad channel, it was at that point that the staff member said “it’s 2x8gb but the listing states quad channel as we repackaged it”

Anyway it doesn’t matter now and as I’ve said I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom