PSU recommendation

Associate
Evening!

I've just purchased all the components for my new build. However i noticed my current PSU is 9 years old, it's probably due a refresh.

Setup will be:
Gigabyte z370 hd3 ATX
I3 8100
2x8gb ddr4
Gtx 1070
Samsung evo 500gb ssd

I've purchased the fractal 2500 mid case (I believe everything fits in that case and all the components work together too :p).

So with the above, what is a good PSU. I assume I need nothing more than 500/550W? I've been looking at the EVGA bq 500, would that be OK? Looking at the specs I think it will fit in the case?

Thanks

Associate
Hi Nex20,

A 550w will be more than enough. I'm in the same boat as you, on about upgrading to a coffee lake i5 or i7 (non k) with g skill RGB ram or Corsair with a x52 kraken and 6 Corsair ll120 fans.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following three PSU's:

Superflower 550w platinum king or leader (leader seems to be top of the range and on offer at £69.99, but only 80+ gold not platinum).

Corsair rm550x or an evga 550w G3 (around £80 if you look around)

The evga G3 is better than the bq, but costs £30 more. From my research evga use superflower as their supplier (one of the best) so the superflower/evga psu I've listed shouldn't be to different. If you want braided cables then the evga/Corsair work out at the same price, however superflower ones work out more.

500w would be fine, but don't get something to cheap. I've read good things about the superflower leader 2 PSUs can handle higher than rated wattage for long times (not sure if it's true/safe).

I've currently got a Corsair 650tx (sandy bridge build), so due an upgrade.

If you've got Corsair fans you can use the Corsair link software for the RM psu as well has the fans. So that's something worth considering.

The case you've got supports up to 155mm deep (height I assume) PSU. Hexus.net (https://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/80882-fractal-design-core-2500/) ran a review with this case with an Corsair hx1050w psu, which is bigger than the ones I've stated.

Last edited:
Associate
Evening!

I've just purchased all the components for my new build. However i noticed my current PSU is 9 years old, it's probably due a refresh.

Setup will be:
Gigabyte z370 hd3 ATX
I3 8100
2x8gb ddr4
Gtx 1070
Samsung evo 500gb ssd

I've purchased the fractal 2500 mid case (I believe everything fits in that case and all the components work together too :p).

So with the above, what is a good PSU. I assume I need nothing more than 500/550W? I've been looking at the EVGA bq 500, would that be OK? Looking at the specs I think it will fit in the case?

Thanks
What's your PSU budget?

Associate
OP
Hi Nex20,

A 550w will be more than enough. I'm in the same boat as you, on about upgrading to a coffee lake i5 or i7 (non k) with g skill RGB ram or Corsair with a x52 kraken and 6 Corsair ll120 fans.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following three PSU's:

Superflower 550w platinum king or leader (leader seems to be top of the range and on offer at £69.99, but only 80+ gold not platinum).

Corsair rm550x or an evga 550w G3 (around £80 if you look around)

The evga G3 is better than the bq, but costs £30 more. From my research evga use superflower as their supplier (one of the best) so the superflower/evga psu I've listed shouldn't be to different. If you want braided cables then the evga/Corsair work out at the same price, however superflower ones work out more.

500w would be fine, but don't get something to cheap. I've read good things about the superflower leader 2 PSUs can handle higher than rated wattage for long times (not sure if it's true/safe).

I've currently got a Corsair 650tx (sandy bridge build), so due an upgrade.

If you've got Corsair fans you can use the Corsair link software for the RM psu as well has the fans. So that's something worth considering.

The case you've got supports up to 155mm deep (height I assume) PSU. Hexus.net (https://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/80882-fractal-design-core-2500/) ran a review with this case with an Corsair hx1050w psu, which is bigger than the ones I've stated.

I think we shave come to similar conclusions. I feel like I am leaning towards to EVGA range though... Also how uses deep as a dimension measurement ???

Associate
I think we shave come to similar conclusions. I feel like I am leaning towards to EVGA range though... Also how uses deep as a dimension measurement ???
I was confused about the deep part, but that's what the manufacturer says (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/core-series/core-2500). Apparently deep means depth in measurement terms (http://thinkmath.edc.org/resource/measurement-length-width-height-depth). If you want EVGA then I'd consider the g3 (just over £70). Longer warranty, better build quality and more efficient under loads (the G2 gets Johnnyguru approved, so G3 should be the same). Most Evga PSU are made by Superflower (as stated earlier), the cheaper ones made by different manufacturers. If you don't mind not getting a EVGA then have a look at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...0-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-038-sf.html

Same build quality has EVGA g/p series, but more efficient under load than the bq series. Also the bq series are semi modular. Only downside is of you wanted braided cables, you'd end up with the ATX 24pin being standard.

All in all with the specification you've have the bq series would be alright, however I'd consider paying a higher series (better upgradability).

Edit: took out a link, sorry about the external competitor linking

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You need to remove the links to competitors as it is against forum rules and are not allowed on here.

A depth measurement with regards to psu's means the length. Width and height should be the same across all full size psu's at 150mm wide and 86mm high or they would fall outside of the ATX specification. Length however varies from one manufacturer to another and in a lot of cases with wattage as well.

One of the best psu ranges at the moment are the Seasonic Focus Plus series. I know it's a bit over budget but they are quality psu's and well worth the money. They are gold rated, fully modular and very compact at only 140mm long. They also have a 10 year warranty. Review of the 550w version here. That's where my money would be going if I was looking for a new psu right now.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £95.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

If the budget is firmly set at £70 then the new Bitfenix Formula series have finally come into stock. These have fixed cables but are gold rated and compact at 140mm long and have a 5 year warranty. For £67 you can't really go wrong with it and there is not any cheaper 550w psu on here that I would be happy to use myself. No reviews for the 550w version yet but there is one for the 750w version here. CWT is the oem for all versions.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £77.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom