how far did you move away

Soldato
from your family? knowing it would likely be a permanent move
moving about 40miles and finding it hard to reconcile since i've lived in the same town my whole life
getting nostalgic for the place among other things :o

Soldato
haven't lived in my home town since I was 18. Been 100-200 miles away most of it. A lot of that without a car.

That said, the house I grew up in got sold at about the same time, and I went to university at the same time so I didn't really have much choice in the matter.

Soldato
I lived at home till about 22 and then moved about 25 miles away. I love where i grew up so we have talked about potentially moving back there and a lot of my friends are starting to gravitate back there now having lived in Manchester/Liverpool.

Not sure family counts though as my parents live in Spain ~10 months a year!

Soldato
About 4500 miles.....I moved country and continent.

For me, I don't miss places, its people, and as long as I have my very immediate family with me (wife, kids, dogs) all seems well with the world and I don't need much else wherever I am.

I do miss my mother, brother and my friends back home in Blighty, however fortunately with my business I get to travel back to the UK quite a bit and I make the effort when and where I can. Also whenever I vacation I always treat my mother to come with us so she can see the children.

Soldato
120 miles from a village in Cleveland to Nottingham. I had never been to Nottingham before I moved here but was compelled to come here for some reason. I've been here since 1998 and whilst I consider it home for me and my family, neither myself or my wife have any relatives down here and we do at times miss the support network that, that brings (although the wife's parents are thinking of moving up to Nottingham from the south).

I really miss the large group of friends that I had up there and its weird when I go back because they have all carried on and not many of us moved away. We will probably move back up north when we retire though

Man of Honour
120 miles on what was at the time intended as a permanent move (Somerset to London) - 4 years later I moved back.

EDIT: I've never been homesick and moved around a bit without anything like that bothering me but where I live now - which is where I spent about half my childhood - is where I feel most at home and I'm always glad to come back here for some reason even though it isn't the first place I lived in.

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato
500+ miles, Berkshire to Aberdeen. Never really had an issue moving away, yes it's nice to be near family but don't let it affect moving to other places for work/lifestyle benefit. Would happily move abroad as well.

Soldato
About 15 miles from where i grew up and around 25 miles for the wife.

I think it depends on your own circumstances for example if you have kids being close for childcare is useful or if there's any illness etc.

For us the main reason we moved to where we did was there just isn't much land for sale in our part of the world and we wanted to build our own house so we had to go with what was available.

Back
Top Bottom