Is Merkel on the Way Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Funny you should say that, being Dutch I still speak to many folks in Holland (family and friends) and most of them seem to think that we're doing the right thing and that for Holland it's a matter of when, not if. Hearsay really, but still interesting food for thought.

Not the first time I've heard that. Many people I talk to from around Europe think leaving was a good move. It's the press and certain politicians that make it look like all of Europe disagrees with us, it's very split.

Man of Honour
Yep, heard the same from friends in Europe.

Most Europeans I've talked to seem more bemused by it than anything. Certainly doesn't seem to be much disagreement other than from those that it will make their lives complicated, at least in the transformational period but not a lot of outright agreement with it as such either.

HaX

HaX

Associate
First world birth rates are down across the whole range of nations. People would rather have consumerism than larger families and you're not likely to change that anytime soon.

I don't think that consumerism is wholly to blame. We live in an economy which in general requires dual incomes to support a household/family. Everyone is encouraged to have a "career", commute to work, and pay someone else to look after their children. Complete and utter madness. This works in favour of the government's economic statistics ; it creates a positive feedback loop from a monetary / GDP perspective.

House / rental prices also have an impact ; house prices almost trebled during the 1997 - 2007 boom years.

Soldato

LOL. Have you seen the state of Brexit lately? It's worse than shambolic. The only thing stopping the UK from being the laughingstock of the world right now is the fact that the Yanks already beat us to it by electing a second-hand orange with a bad toupée.

Yes. British Politicians offered a **** deal and refuse to sign. Then another **** deal and refuse to sign. Would you sign a **** deal?

In addition they are set to demand £40-£100bn for a severance. Lol. The UK being a shareholder in Brussels means of the £500,000,000,000+ we have paid in contributions already to the EU should mean we get a severance package. It occurs in every other situation both on a private individual level right the way up to international. The EU once again flexes its anti-democratic authoritarian muscles.

Remainers who clearly have no brain cells left* (cheers Yas) think if they pay for a house when its sold they should have to pay the other party for their investment and lose-lose.

The UK should just walk away. Leave this bent system to sort itself. The EU is going to have some troubles in the next decade anyway without our exit.

Edit: And just to add both Brexit and Trump won. You may not like it but that's democracy sweet cheeks* (thanks Robocod)

Note to mods: Both remarks (*) have been used by other posters against me with total impunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom