Web development - which language?

Man of Honour
Following on from another thread I am currently learning PHP. I am building a project and will be finishing it in PHP. The intention is to learn native PHP and then try something with a framework such as Laravel. So I'm not looking to switch yet but may do for the next project if there is a compelling reason. Ultimately I aim to learn PHP, Python and Javascript.

For those of you doing web development which language did you choose and more importantly, why?

No fighting please :)

Thanks.

Permabanned
Learnt php when I was a kid and wanted cheap hosting
Learnt Java at uni
Learnt Classic ASP in my first job
Learnt ASP.NET C# in my second job, still doing it
If I was to pick another now it would be ASP.NET Core.

Soldato
Javascript makes sense as a spring board for newer libraries such as React and Angular taking off. I learned solid HTML, CSS, javascript and jQuery. From there i've done Java and android just for app making, but once i'm able to make some decent apps i will go back to Udemy to refresh on javascript and then nail React and / or Angular.

Soldato
Well there only are a couple. Obvioulsy HTML/CSS and js(if you like). You can also go direct to say PS and design and splice up the page.

Associate
These days I'd go for ASP.Net core myself if I had that choice. Have developed in past jobs with other languages and frameworks, but it wasn't me choosing them, was the job :p.

Soldato
Personally I love the Python programming language so using Django is my go to framework. But if I couldn't use Python for some reason I'd probably use C# and ASP.NET Core and if I couldn't use that I'd probably look at a purely JavaScript based framework.

I wouldn't consider PHP unless I was trying to make an addon for software that already uses it (Wordpress, Xenforo, Mediawiki etc).

Caporegime
Not sure why you said that. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. All the people who mentioned ASP.NET Core also mentioned the language they would use with it.
These days I'd go for ASP.Net core myself if I had that choice. Have developed in past jobs with other languages and frameworks, but it wasn't me choosing them, was the job :p.

Associate
Time is moving on and there's a definite shift over to JS based solutions. I am from the old LAMP world (Linux / Apache / MySQL / PhP) but I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the MEAN-like (Mongo / Express / Angular / Node) world. With the newer stack (I prefer Mongo / Express / React / Node) it is a higher bar to entry than PhP but it's far more effective to make anything more than 'hello world' than PhP. ASP.NET core if you're in a very corporate environment , but in the majority of class leading applications something like the MEAN stack is where you really want to be.

Caporegime
Couldn't disagree more. .NET Core is anything but corporate, in fact it was specifically designed to target the typical "start up" market which node.js has taken off in. That and it's, ya know, free. The complete anti-thesis of corporate.

Javascript is losing favour with devs, too. Simply because it is terrible. 90%+ of devs using JS need to use a transpiler like babel or Typescript because it is just that bad.

Associate
Javascript, typescript and js-based frameworks are regularly at the top of stack overflow blogs relating to usage and feeling towards programming languages - where are you getting your information that is is losing favour with devs?

What's the problem with using a tool like typescript to enhance a programming language? One of the benefits of the js ecosystem is that there are so many tools like that around (although you could also argue there are too many and it becomes a barrier to learning).

Caporegime
javascript communities themselves. Reddit, SO, slack groups, google groups, etc.

It's becoming more and more prevalent that devs are using JS "just because" rather than they actually want to. I mean the biggest factor has always been because there is no alternative for web UI yet. WebAssembly may/will see that change.

node et al development is popular because it means you don't need to learn two languages, and it's possible to "seamlessly" develop client and server together. The fact it is JS is purely because of the above.

Associate
Couldn't disagree more. .NET Core is anything but corporate, in fact it was specifically designed to target the typical "start up" market which node.js has taken off in. That and it's, ya know, free. The complete anti-thesis of corporate.

Javascript is losing favour with devs, too. Simply because it is terrible. 90%+ of devs using JS need to use a transpiler like babel or Typescript because it is just that bad.

Sorry I'm with planty on this.

I know no one (literally no one at all) who uses .NET Core outside of a corporate environment.....

As Planty also says stackoverflow is a decent measure..... there's a magnitude more questions on Node or even express than .NET core.....

Back
Top Bottom