Help! new pc is ***** Round 2

Associate
So I went to launch my first game, and after around 3 seconds of the game displaying, the display went dark and now the bios says it doesn't recognise any VGA cards - I tried with a gpu I know is working and it is still saying the same, it will only output with integrated display atm.

what rotten luck! any ideas?

Edit: 8600k, 1070Ti, Asus 370Z-A

Associate
So I went to launch my first game, and after around 3 seconds of the game displaying, the display went dark and now the bios says it doesn't recognise any VGA cards - I tried with a gpu I know is working and it is still saying the same, it will only output with integrated display atm.

what rotten luck! any ideas?

Edit: 8600k, 1070Ti, Asus 370Z-A
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

There could be so many things causing this, but:

Is your BIOS fully updated and Nvidia drivers updated? Have you tried the GPU in a different PCI-e slot?

Associate
OP
Is your BIOS fully updated and Nvidia drivers updated? Tried GPU in a different PCI-e slot?

Hi and thanks so much for the response, I have tried a different PCIE slot but not sure how to update a bios, does it not seem ominous how it crapped out after first game launch to seemingly break? how would bios version cause that? I'm guessing I'll need to look on the asus website.

Associate
Hi and thanks so much for the response, I have tried a different PCIE slot but not sure how to update a bios, does it not seem ominous how it crapped out after first game launch to seemingly break? how would bios version cause that? I'm guessing I'll need to look on the asus website.
When it crashed, was that the very first time the entire PC was under heavy load?

Associate
yeah it was the first time the gpu had been under proper load, launched Ark: Survival, it crashed on animated loading screen
And everything is all fully plugged in? The 24pin motherboard pins, the 8pin for CPU, GPU power etc? Are the GPU power cables plugged into the right part on the PSU (PCI-E)?

Seems that if it was the first time going under load that it crashed, it could be a power issue. If the GPU was properly DOA it probably wouldn't output video on the desktop. The PSU is a very high quality unit with more than enough wattage for that entire PC, so it isn't an overhead issue.

Associate
OP
And everything is all fully plugged in? The 24pin motherboard pins, the 8pin for CPU, GPU power etc? Are the GPU power cables plugged into the right part on the PSU?

yep I can confirm, literally the PC was running fine, gpu fans spinning away, installed a bunch of programs, installed Ark, Launched it and fade to black :( the PC still works, just not from PCIE at all, about to test the 1070Ti in my old rig but I'm guessing it's fine

Associate
OP
So freaking frustrated!! sorry to vent, was looking forward to this weekend so much, now I'm just dreading 2 days of fruitless troubleshooting and stress

Associate
yep I can confirm, literally the PC was running fine, gpu fans spinning away, installed a bunch of programs, installed Ark, Launched it and fade to black :( the PC still works, just not from PCIE at all, about to test the 1070Ti in my old rig but I'm guessing it's fine
With the GPU installed, but using on-board video, when you go to device manager does anything appear under 'display adapters'?

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? Do the fans of the GPU spin?

Associate
OP
With the GPU installed, but using on-board video, when you go to device manager does anything appear under 'display adapters'?

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? Do the fans of the GPU spin?

I reset the bios to default settings as that seemed like the first thing to try, The GPU fans do spin, I'll check for display adaptors in windows as you suggested, although is it possible for them to show if the bios won't see them even?

Thanks!

Associate
I reset the bios to default settings as that seemed like the first thing to try, The GPU fans do spin, I'll check for display adaptors in windows as you suggested, although is it possible for them to show if the bios won't see them even?

Thanks!
Ah missed that message. Yeah if the BIOS isn't detecting then I doubt device manager would. Could look anyway.

Do you have a spare PSU you could try?

Associate
OP
Ah missed that message. Yeah if the BIOS isn't detecting then I doubt device manager would. Could look anyway.

Do you have a spare PSU you could try?

I have the one in my old rig but that would be a nightmare to check, if the PSU had blown though how would I get it working fine from integrated gfx and have gpu fans spin?

Associate
Looked at upgrading bios, looks complicated as heck - do you think there's a chance it will help?
No way of knowing for sure really. It's just usually good practice to have everything fully updated. But if your PC crashed first time going under load, I think it could be power related.

Last edited:
Associate
On the PSU - It's possible the power to the graphics card has died for some reason. Not familiar with the card, does it take two plugs? If so, were they from separate cables or both one? If both one then try separate.

Soldato
Hi again,

There's a good chance Windows force-updated your graphics driver even whilst you were playing the game. It happened to others including myself last week and caused video BIOS issues in some cases. Could you check Windows' Reliability History and see if there are any informational events (i) for a driver update coinciding with the time of the crash?

Also, check Nvidia Control Panel (if you can open it) and tell us the exact driver version in use right now.

Man of Honour
Looked at upgrading bios, looks complicated as heck - do you think there's a chance it will help?

Flashing the bios is easy enough. Just download the latest version from your motherboards page on Asus website, extract it if zipped and put it on a USB stick. Leave the USB stick plugged in and reboot the pc. Enter the bios and under the tools tab you will find Ez-Flash which is the inbuilt bios update tool. Select it and point it to the USB stick and after it asks you if you are really really really sure you want to continue click on yes and let it do it's thing. Once complete it will either reboot the pc itself or you have to reboot it (it's been so long I can't remember now). Do not under any circumstances interrupt the bios flashing process. It will tell you when it's complete.

Soldato
One trick I do with my Asus motherboards, is to hit F5 to restore default settings then F10 as if I'm about to exit - then take a screenshot of all the changed settings. When you're done, finally commit the default settings before flashing the BIOS - this might help provide much needed stability to the system as it performs the risky task of flashing the BIOS.

Associate
Updating the bios is really simple, if you're able to download a driver from a manufacturer website you're able to update a bios.

The likes of Asus allow you to download the bios file and update through the internet while in the bios. That's how I tend to update the bios nowadays on motherboards.

Sorry to see that you're having more trouble, I remember your initial thread where you had no display at all.

With regards to your issues, perhaps try a cmos reset and see if the bios then recognises devices in the PCI-E slot. I would do that before anything else to be honest.

Associate
OP
update: I went to bed as I'd gone almost 48 hours with only 2 hours of sleep, tried it one last time and... now it just works, I have no explanation, I'll play some games and see how it goes!

Thanks guys for all the assistance

Back
Top Bottom