Google Home

Permabanned
OP
Looking forward to soon using Google Home for phone calling. Google has promised to launch it in the UK before year end. Calls from the UK to North America will be free too. I assume, like the US, calls to local to businesses will also be free.

Soldato
Might have been covered before and my google fu seems to be weak...

Is there a way to stop the home from telling me that Youtube music is not available and instead play the video I want? It's incredibly annoying.

Soldato
Quick question for those of you with several of these. If you're in range of two does it work out which is closest and just respond with that one, or do you get confusion where two are answering? Want to get a second for my living room with the current one going in the kitchen, but the rooms are fairly close together.

Associate
It's got 48hrs to get better, or its going back. I really wanted to stay with Google, all our tablets and phones are Google, but this thing is able to push my buttons.
I nearly bought an Echo instead, but being able to play my own music, and more importantly, my 4 year old being able to ask for her favourite songs was important.

1. Today, it refuses to play radio 2 at all, says it's not available.
2. Ask it to play uptown funk, get not available in your area.
3. Ask it to play Mark Ronson, and uptown funk plays. (The only mark ronson song I have uploaded)
Too many other instances of this to list here.

Really close to taking it back as not sure its fit for purpose.
I cannot remember a device that's infuriated me so much.

Soldato
I guess I only ever ask it to play a playlist rather than a specific song, but it's never failed for me I don't think. I also think it's got better at recognising me. (I may have posted this already?) When I swapped Echo to GH the one thing it wasn't as good at was recognising my commands with the lights. Now it hardly ever fails that.

Permabanned
OP
Quick question for those of you with several of these. If you're in range of two does it work out which is closest and just respond with that one, or do you get confusion where two are answering? Want to get a second for my living room with the current one going in the kitchen, but the rooms are fairly close together.

So GH microphones are very sensitive in picking up voices, even from a distance. This is a great advantage but an occasional disadvantage. Knowing this, and having a similar issue to yours, I keep my voice low when I am potentially in range of a second GH. I have three units at home: living room, kitchen and master bedroom. My kitchen and living room are relatively nearby. So to avoid the issue you hope to avoid, if I ask the kitchen Home to perform a task such as boiling the water in my smart kettle and I ask it when in the kitchen, I avoid shouting it and direct my voice towards the kitchen Home. After a while, this becomes quite natural. I must say that the reverse is never true: for some reason when in the Living room I never get interference from the kitchen Home no matter how loudly I issue a command or question.

Go figure.

Soldato
I'm a little lost? What is the problem you're looking to avoid? Just say it out loud, does it matter which one hears you and does the action?

Hmm, yeah I guess it's not an issue really. Just wanted to avoid getting answered by both in stereo and was hoping it would just reply with whichever is closest, but I guess it's not really a problem. I've ordered a second now anyway, so I'll soon find out.

Soldato
Hmm, yeah I guess it's not an issue really. Just wanted to avoid getting answered by both in stereo and was hoping it would just reply with whichever is closest, but I guess it's not really a problem. I've ordered a second now anyway, so I'll soon find out.

Only one will respond. This goes for your phone too. You will never get more than one device answering you back

Associate
It looks to answer the question to me? Can you set multiple alarms? Yes.

It was more along the lines of whether Google recognises different alarms for different people-like if I set my alarm, could my wife set her alarm at a different point in time as opposed to just loading up multiple alarms at the same time.

Nice to know that you can set up multiple alarms in general though.

Bought a Google Home and a Mini (Mini not set up yet) on Friday (rude not to given the discounts on them both) and I’ve been impressed so far. Definitely a lot more responsive than the Echo Dot we used previously.

Soldato
It was more along the lines of whether Google recognises different alarms for different people-like if I set my alarm, could my wife set her alarm at a different point in time as opposed to just loading up multiple alarms at the same time.

That's fair enough, but you had only really asked if it could do multiple alarms, then gave the example of you and the wife. I felt the question was answered was all :) Can I ask, does it matter that it knows who set it?

GH can recognise different voices, if you ask it to (I forget how now). So if you ask what your calendar looks like, if gives your info. If your wife asks, it gives hers. I don't see why it would need to know who set the alarm is all :)

Back
Top Bottom