• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX VEGA AIB Cards Information Needed?

Soldato
As above that's just the end of reference Vega supply.

On the plus side it will see the value price of existing Vega reference cards rise as supply can't keep up with the increasing mining demand. Always nice to be able to trade up more favourably at a later date.
That will however worsen the situation for gamers as they’ll get even less performance for the price.

Associate
I decided not to wait for Vega AIB once i saw the price of the Powercolor one. No chance. Got myself a reference Vega64 in the ongoing Black Friday sale. Happy days!

Soldato
I think AMD has more profitable uses for the Vega components then supplying via this route, it'll be upto the AIB to make the sales I guess. I'm thinking this means its more likely AMD will release a 2nd phase to Vega and probably cheaper for them to make.
There just really isn't anything to cut away to decrease price without also cutting away actual hardware.
And 14nm+/12nm node (what ever its now called) should apparently go to risk production (not good idea to start with big chip) only in next quarter.

Well, guess they could cut VRM but that would risk burned VRMs with overclockers...

Absolutely, that's why I love AMD reference boards. BEEFY components, cheapish prices and you strip them and slap an AIO on that puppy. Get the heat out of the case.
VRM of undervolted to optimum efficiency/Power Save profile Vega should last ridiculously long time.

True, but you have to move a significant amount of air to maintain that, whereas an AIO done right doesn't blow into the case. one to 2 fans if you want to push/pull vs. more at higher RPM to shift the air and all the other components suffering as a consequence.

I wish OEM's would just sell a bare board without shroud or HSF and let me spend the money cooling it. I'd even cop a shorter warranty or some sort of online "connect to my PC and stress test it" validation for a reduction in purchase price.
Making blower HSF with three slots high heatsink would be good way to improve cooling/noise performance without dumping heat to case.
Blower design itself isn't really bad, question is just about scaling of heatsink.
If non-reference coolers were small enough to actually fit into two slots space and not need third slot free also they would struggle under higher heat load.

Soldato
Making blower HSF with three slots high heatsink would be good way to improve cooling/noise performance without dumping heat to case.
Blower design itself isn't really bad, question is just about scaling of heatsink.
Agreed. I would choose "premium blower" every time if the concept caught on. It simply makes sense to expel the air out of the case.

Soldato
ASUS Radeon RX VEGA 64 ROG Strix OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41v-as.html

Pre-order price......£649.99!!!

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom