Anyone got a pet rat?

Associate
No but I'd definitely have one, they're friendly and intelligent. Unlike most of the posters above.

manfaceaua.jpg

Caporegime
As above unfortunately. They live for about two years. :(

Some rats are just timid. When you got it you should have chosen it based on its personality. If they’re happy to come to you and walk over you then get that one. Get him a friend ASAP too.

Allow him out of his cage for as long as you can each day, play with it as much as possible, especially now. Get started on toilet training and getting used to coming when his name is called too.

Just let him run around on the floor and you as you’re going about your daily tasks is the best bet. We pretty much only had the door shut on their cage when we were out house. Just make sure there’s no gaps for them to get into. They’ll find it and squeeze through them, no matter how small you think it is.

Basically play with it as much as possible, then it’ll get used to you.

Soldato
I've had many over the years, they make great pets. They're incredibly smart, pretty much like little dogs.

You have to just constantly try to handle it as much as possible and it'll eventually warm to you.

Permabanned
I used to keep rats :)
They make great pets, far better than most other small rodents. Very intelligent and social.

They just don't live very long and suffer from health problems :(

I've had many over the years, they make great pets. They're incredibly smart, pretty much like little dogs.
You have to just constantly try to handle it as much as possible and it'll eventually warm to you.
So smart and intelligent, that at some moment, you may expect them to start talking with you?

What happens if you have a cat? Does the cat like rats? :confused: :eek:

Just make sure there’s no gaps for them to get into. They’ll find it and squeeze through them, no matter how small you think it is.
Thanks for all the advice, best start finding things to cover the holes up with :D
Yes ;)

Soldato
I used to keep rats :)

They make great pets, far better than most other small rodents. Very intelligent and social.

They just don't live very long and suffer from health problems :(

I had 3 female rats and they were fantastic pets.

They used to love sitting in my hoodie as I walked around the house doing other jobs. Really sociable and lovely pets.

One of mine got a tumour which I had removed, she lived for another year. Ended up having to have 2 of them put down because they stopped eating and started losing weight, heartbreaking.

The one with the tumour was the last to go, I woke up one morning and she had died overnight.

I'd love to have some more but they do take up a lot of time. They don't tend to smell if you clean the cage out a couple of times a week.

Soldato
I had 3 female rats and they were fantastic pets.

They used to love sitting in my hoodie as I walked around the house doing other jobs. Really sociable and lovely pets.

One of mine got a tumour which I had removed, she lived for another year. Ended up having to have 2 of them put down because they stopped eating and started losing weight, heartbreaking.

The one with the tumour was the last to go, I woke up one morning and she had died overnight.

I'd love to have some more but they do take up a lot of time. They don't tend to smell if you clean the cage out a couple of times a week.

You do get very attached to them, so it's sad when they go so soon :(

I'd get some more, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to them anymore.

Associate
Just got a pet baby rat of a breeder, he is 6 weeks old and currently on his own (not for long).

He seems really shy and timid, I know all the tricks with getting them to become more friendly but can anyone kind of shed a light on how long/old till they become more aware and friendly after food training and becoming used to your smell? another question is what is the best bedding that is cheaper than back2nature if there is any?

Some general tips be great :)

Thanks guys!

Most rats are timid when they don't have any rat friends. They need to live at least in pairs. talk to the rat in a sweet voice and try to make rat chattering noises and make sure the rat knows you're the food and water person. Rats appreciate social time with people so interact with him as much as possible.

Rats are great animals but their incontinent "I pee and poo everywhere constantly" vibe has turned me off having them as pets. I had 3 females in my 20s who died of old age and one of them used to come on walks to the park with me and when I called her she'd run up my leg onto my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom