What watch do you wear?

Don
I do like the Hublot BB but would always be left with the thought that I wanted a AP ROO really, still very nice though :)

just me probably as it's a top notch piece of kit

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a half decent (eg Lorus, Seiko) watch suitable for a 12 year old boy as can't seem to find one thats got a metal or canvas strap of a suitable size.

He currently has this Lorus boys watch but the strap has now broken (superglue is holding it for now) and while its the ideal size for his still relativly small wrists its not tough enough and not fully waterproof. Mens watches are too big at present and while I found this Seiko that looked great on paper despite it being a "ladies" watch so I bought it but now its its arrived its a good bit smaller than my head+ruler+my mens watch thought it would be when I was trying to work out how big it would be.....at least the Mrs will get another watch.

So are there any £20-80 watches out there suitable for "boys" (inbetween men and ladies standard sort of sizes) that aren't plastic & decent make in my preferred price range?

btw he'd like Day/Date and ideally 3 smaller inner dials like my seiko but think he'll have to wait till he has bigger wrists for the extra dials unless anyone knows otherwise.
You can change the straps, and buy aftermarket bracelets for many watches, so don't limit yourself on what the watch comes with.

That Seiko you bought to replace the Lorus is, on paper, over 10mm smaller than the Lorus, so no wonder you think it's small! That's a big difference when we're talking about the size of these watches.

At this price range it'll need to be battery powered if you want some level of impact resistance etc. but day-date and chronograph...not sure you can, unless it's a piece of junk.

Try eBay and go for used.

Associate
No specific watch in mind, but something that takes regular springbars - and thus straps - to make those easy to change out would be good. A Nato would seem to be ideal if not too bulky, as then if one springbar comes out the watch is still held on by the other.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Gents, hoping someone here can offer some advice.

My dad has taken a liking to the following after seeing it in Costco:
http://www.watchshop.com/mens-raymond-weil-freelancer-automatic-watch-2730-sp5-20011-p99970841.html

Does anyone have any opinions? I know RW are well regarded as a brand, I was more looking for any possible alternatives from other brands to consider within a similar style and price range.

I'm not clued up on dress watches, and two tone is not my thing personally, so I wouldn't know where to start.

Soldato
I'm going to be looking for a dress watch in the next few weeks. I've pretty much decided I would like a Seiko Cocktail Time as I saw one a year or so and fell in love with it. However, I don't know which version I should get; the original SARB065 or the new SRPB43J1. Does anyone have any advice or tips?
Just read that there are some new versions hitting the shops 'soon', and blimey are the dials something else! So perhaps the previous versions will be reduced in price, or your prefer the look of the newer ones: https://monochrome-watches.com/introducing-seiko-presage-cocktail-ssa361-ssa363-srpc01-srpc03-price/

Associate
Soldato
Wow I love the dial on the srpc03. I may have to wait for that one to come out here as I cant find it for sale anywhere.
Yup! 'Soon' being whenever, frankly. But worth waiting for I think.

For a bit of eye candy, have a look at the Grand Seiko ********* - the dial on that is quite remarkable; I don't think I'd wear it, but I can't deny it would be lovely to see on wrist regularly.

Edit: Seriously? A flake of snow as one word is a banned word? Well in this instance, it actually refers to a flake of snow due to the texture of the dial.

Soldato
Wondering if someone can help...

I’ve been saving up for awhile now and I’ve been offered datejust for £3900 with papers and box. Is that a good deal or am I being ripped off? It’s 36mm from 1985.

https://ibb.co/ddxwZb

That seems pretty steep for a two tone of that era. It does have the diamond dial though, which can raise things for some. For me, it destroys the value!

Back
Top Bottom