The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
I use a messenger bag and it’s 30cm long hence that’s my limit. It’s not about going into the hold (which it does), it’s just I carry it inside the messenger bag.

Agreed. For travel tripods should be inside a bag ideally. Less chance of them being seen and advertising your carrying expensive kit. Also a lot less chance of hooking up on plants and vines depending on what sort of trip your doing.

Not so much of an issue if you’re travelling around in western countries or less “jungle” environments, but still useful for the weight and size saving. It’s also one of the reasons muncamera bag is a relatively old Osprey backpack that looks a bit like its been dragged through mud, dumped in a sandpit and then lightly rinsed in the sea.

Last edited:
Associate
N5qahHw.jpg
[/IMG] N5qahHw.jpg
Something to try out to see if it is worth the extra over a D800.

Associate
Well after trying the camera out for a week I must admit it is better than my D800 but not over 3 times as good ( cost to replace) I like the screen and the faster focusing but even on a large print it is difficult to notice the difference. Still it has been worth trying it out to save me a lot of money. If I was getting paid to take pictures it would be worth changing.

Soldato
Raymond what's that Crumpler bag called? :) How big is it in litres? Looking for a new laptop rucksack down the line of something technical (I quite like the cycling ones like Mission Workshop but they're massive/expensive)

Caporegime
Raymond what's that Crumpler bag called? :) How big is it in litres? Looking for a new laptop rucksack down the line of something technical (I quite like the cycling ones like Mission Workshop but they're massive/expensive)

No idea on volume but it’s call The Base Park? It’s butt super useful for the trip, separated my camera stuff with daily general crap on day trips, even I can’t spot it as a camera bag and I have one, it’s that discrete.

Soldato
Picked up an XT2 and kit lens a couple of weeks ago, and already it's become part of my go-to kit. Added a 23mm f1.4 while the Black Friday double discount was available.

The camera has really impressed me, and carrying it with the Gitzo traveller tripod is really effortless.

Soldato
Picked up an XT2 and kit lens a couple of weeks ago, and already it's become part of my go-to kit. Added a 23mm f1.4 while the Black Friday double discount was available.

The camera has really impressed me, and carrying it with the Gitzo traveller tripod is really effortless.

Do you not find those leather loops that protect the rubber from the strap rings really annoying? I tried them for a bit but that just get in the way of your right hand when shooting. Oped for rubber o rings instead.

Soldato
Do you not find those leather loops that protect the rubber from the strap rings really annoying? I tried them for a bit but that just get in the way of your right hand when shooting. Oped for rubber o rings instead.

They haven't become annoying yet, but out of interest, how do you implement the o-rings? I would like to get a nicer strap at some point, but I noticed some do allow the metal loops to hit the camera.

Soldato
No idea on volume but it’s call The Base Park? It’s butt super useful for the trip, separated my camera stuff with daily general crap on day trips, even I can’t spot it as a camera bag and I have one, it’s that discrete.
Yeah it's got a nice Mission Workshop vibe to it. According to the website it's 20L which is smaller than my current TNF Borealis which I just don't like anymore. (I've taken to putting padding from another camera bag in the bottom of that). Do you think the bottom camera section would be overkill for a Fuji XT20 and two lenses? I'd really be buying it to be a laptop/overnight/day bag :o

EDIT: Does it have a key clip, or any additional pockets/sections inside?

Last edited:
Associate
Whats that like and how much was it ?

Not had a chance to use it yet, picked it up at B+H while I was in New York for around £200

got me one of those a few weeks ago. A bit over priced but i'm definitely seeing the benefits! I'm using it very much in conjunction the mouse and keyboard at the moment but getting more and more used to it :)

How are you finding the latency, what do you find missing on the interface that's on the keyboard?

I won't get a chance to use mine until after I've moved but I have a backlog of 60k to plough through so it'll get a trial by fire!...

Caporegime
Yeah it's got a nice Mission Workshop vibe to it. According to the website it's 20L which is smaller than my current TNF Borealis which I just don't like anymore. (I've taken to putting padding from another camera bag in the bottom of that). Do you think the bottom camera section would be overkill for a Fuji XT20 and two lenses? I'd really be buying it to be a laptop/overnight/day bag :o

EDIT: Does it have a key clip, or any additional pockets/sections inside?

It has 5 inner pockets.

On the inside, there are 2 either side, 1 on the back for the laptop and smaller compartment infant of it the size of and iPad. There is also a mesh zip pocket not he front inside.

Soldato
They haven't become annoying yet, but out of interest, how do you implement the o-rings? I would like to get a nicer strap at some point, but I noticed some do allow the metal loops to hit the camera.

You can order orings from eBay and you just stretch one over the metal loop ring so it sits literally on the mount against the rubber of the camera. It then stops scrapes but doesn't get in the way of your shooting.

Back
Top Bottom