KTM 790 Duke

Soldato
OP
I think it might be a little sharper than the big Duke. 30Kg lighter and it seems KTM have done a lot to get the weight in the best places.

Soldato
I think it might be a little sharper than the big Duke. 30Kg lighter and it seems KTM have done a lot to get the weight in the best places.
I must say KTM are pretty good at that. The Superduke 1290 R isn't exactly the lightest bike in the world but when you're on it it feels like a small 600.

Soldato
OP
£8500 or £8200 restricted. I'm sure you could talk a salesman into £8200 unrestricted. Last time I was looking at a KTM they offered 0% finance and £500 worth of vouchers to spend in the shop.

Man of Honour
Was hoping they'd announce an R version with decent brakes like Brembos. The Brembos on the Street are great!

The 790's brakes are made by Brembo (that's what ByBre[mbo] stands for): http://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/the-group-brands), with custom specifications by KTM. We'll have to wait until the reviews to see how they stand up to the competition though.

My non-R Street Triple had far better brakes than the Brembos on my Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory so the brand name isn't everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Nissin in particular vary a lot as they make the brakes to the budget of the manufacturer.
Sounds about right. Nissin on my Bonneville is probably the worst brakes I've ever used yet the Nissin on the rear of the Speed is spot on.
I've always found the Brembos to be good though, consistently. I'll never forget that feeling coming down from 90 to pretty much a stop on a 2016 Street R, felt great!

Man of Honour
The By Brembo brakes on the 790 have the same variability, which is why we need to wait for the reviews/test rides before we find out if they're decent or budget.

Soldato
A lot of brake feel can be down to the ABS system, it's very hard for something with 10ft of brake pipe and several abs pumps to feel as good as a non abs system.

My Tuono 4 pad/4 piston brakes are still the best feeling brakes I've ever had, no abs, masses of power, great initial bite and loads of feel.

Caporegime
I'm hardly an advanced rider or knowledgeable on ABS systems but I've never felt a difference between ABS brakes and non ABS brakes (and actually on a motorbike never set off ABS, only the traction control). Do the ABS pumps change the feel under normal use? I don't think I've ever been able to compare the two side by side on the same calipers but I never thought there would be a difference under normal use?

This vid explains it pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom