AOC Q3279VWF - FreeSync,VA,qHD 31.5 inch monitor for £249! (ONLY £199 AT OcUK FOR BLACK FRIDAY)!!

Associate
I changed my order from one of the mentioned competitors to Overclockers based on gibbos comments. The difference of 10 quid more from Oc if i can get it in time for Xmas doesn't bother me

Associate
done some searching around for reviews of this monitor. The closest I could find was AOC Q3279VWF8 which was available in Asia and Australia in early 2017. The reviews for that model are a bit mixed with people complaining of ghosting etc.

On the AOCmonitorap website it seems like both the Q3279VWF8 and the one on sale here (Q3279VWF) are different models but I am wondering whether or not this is the same model with some slight improvements or fixes for UK release? The one person on youtube who seems to have reviewed the Q3279VWF didn't really mention issues of ghosting so maybe AOC has put in some improvements? TBH, I am still keeping my pre order, as ghosting sounds like something I could live with when the monitor has other decent spec.

Associate
I suppose seeing ghosting will depend on what you are used to.

If you are coming from a TN panel, the VA panels are slower to respond, but the modern ones are as good as IPS nowadays.

The biggest thing for me is contrast. All the top end LCD TVs use VA panels due to their superior contrast. IPS and TN is typically 1000:1, VA is more like 3000:1.

Old VA panels did have considerable ghosting but I've not seen it on the modern ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure the ghosting can be managed by the overdrive setting on the monitor, I'm more concerned about the TN like behaviour with screen contrast/washout that the YouTube reviewer mentioned. Although I did ask him a few things in a message and he's a right ******, thinks he knows everything and failed to answer my questions.

Associate
Check tweakers.net user reviews (the Q3279VWF is on sale in the Netherlands already)
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1106209/aoc-q3279vwf-zwart/reviews/

It appears that there is noticeable ghosting with this monitor. Interesting that there is one report that FreeSync range can be extended to 30-75 Hz, which makes this monitor much more interesting.

This Monitor is sounding better
Would 30-75 freesync range make LFC work? Or is that some that has to be built into the monitor?

Associate
Would 30-75 freesync range make LFC work?
Yes. LFC only requires that 2*low < high limit (AMD's earlier implementation required 2.5 times).
So 37-75 Hz would enable LFC already, which is important as there is usually a couple frames variation in CRU achievable range between individual units.

For example with the HP OMEN 32 (officially 48-75 Hz), most reports that Google finds are around 30 Hz low limit and 79 Hz high limit, with one user reporting 28 Hz and another 32 Hz as low limit.

Associate
Yes. LFC only requires that 2*low < high limit (AMD's earlier implementation required 2.5 times).
So 37-75 Hz would enable LFC already, which is important as there is usually a couple frames variation in CRU achievable range between individual units.

For example with the HP OMEN 32 (officially 48-75 Hz), most reports that Google finds are around 30 Hz low limit and 79 Hz high limit, with one user reporting 28 Hz and another 32 Hz as low limit.

That's great news
So basically
Use CRU 1.31
Add freesync range of 30-75.
Save and Restart.
Done
Test!

I never had a freesync or G-sync monitor before, although I did have the freesync hack working on my current monitor at the start of the year. Every drive since then basically stopped it working.

Looking forward to the higher resolution & freesync.

Associate
Hi guys, in the market for a new monitor coming from a 24inch LG. Saw this deal and loved the screen real estate it would give me. Mainly being used for software development, general browsing and then maybe the odd game of tf2 or something.

I'd be powering this with either a macbook pro (i7,16gb,iris pro) for work, or surfacebook for anything personal. I'm not too into the hardware world so would these machines struggle with a monitor this large if it did come to light gaming (I'm not really into massive triple A games atm, just the odd tf2 game for an hour or so).

If there is a better place for this type of post, do let me know.

Thanks.

Associate
From a quick glance at specs, the most important differences are:

31.5" QHD (93 dpi) vs. 32" FHD (69 dpi)
75 Hz vs. 144 Hz
VA vs. IPS
No VESA mount vs. VESA mount

I guess the ElectriQ would be a good monitor for console gaming or as a public display? Using it on your desk for work would be sort of suboptimal unless you have really bad eyesight.

Soldato
done some searching around for reviews of this monitor. The closest I could find was AOC Q3279VWF8 which was available in Asia and Australia in early 2017. The reviews for that model are a bit mixed with people complaining of ghosting etc.

On the AOCmonitorap website it seems like both the Q3279VWF8 and the one on sale here (Q3279VWF) are different models but I am wondering whether or not this is the same model with some slight improvements or fixes for UK release? The one person on youtube who seems to have reviewed the Q3279VWF didn't really mention issues of ghosting so maybe AOC has put in some improvements? TBH, I am still keeping my pre order, as ghosting sounds like something I could live with when the monitor has other decent spec.

Wf8 has some gaming features like black enhancer afaik

Soldato
So does the VWF, and it is an awful feature. Very poorly implemented so if that is set to anything but the default (i.e. off) then it just destroys the image completely. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom