My Peugeot 208 GTI is at the dealership for repairs

Soldato
Okay so lately I've been trying to get my car fixed. I've two problems, my seat back rest won't lock in place and the EML is on (P0235 and P0238) which points to turbocharger sensors. The first garage thought it needed a new sensor valve and couldn't do the seat.

So I'm left to try Peugeot! They said my locking mechanism is broke and it'll need a new back rest. That's £895 for the backrest but lucky I have a third party warranty to use. So I call them to get things rolling and they won't pay out for my EML light because it's electrics but they need to see the seats locking mechanism which is inside the seat and you cannot get to it. The only way is to saw the seat open and now Peugeot want £170 just to do that. If the warranty declines then I have half a seat! Ideally I would like to push for these people to pay £170+£895 and the seat diagnosis charge.

Over a grand to repair a seat. If it was me paying I would just buy two GTI seats off eBay or a decent aftermarket one.

Second is the EML light. Peugeot say it needs a whole new wiring harness!! £800, I do need to have this fixed as the car is losing a lot of power and mpg.

Ive been talking to a guy who races Peugeot cars, has the same car as me and owns a garage. These looms aren't easy to find but I've been on eBay and a used one goes for £125. Do you think I should just take back my car, head south and pay someone else?

Soldato
With those prices you're getting the full Peugeot experience sadly.

Depending how long you have had this, the supplying dealer may still be liable to cover the repairs regardless of warranty. Otherwise if you want to progress this with any expedience, pay the inspection costs but again your supplying dealer (assuming not private sale) may be willing to contribute.

Up to you really. You have loads of options on recourse from the dealer and warranty companies through to your credit card and finance if part of the purchase chain. It all takes time though.

Sadly costs seem normal, joys of modern cars.

Associate
A full wiring harness? Surely there's damaged wiring which can be repaired instead of replaced. Seems a bit nuclear to change a full harness.

Yeah sure you might be able to pick the right wire out of a harness if you're a home mechanic and somehow have a very detailed loom diagram and about 50 hours to find it and repair it. But it's a modern car with hundreds of wires inside a sealed loom. They're not going to fix it like that, they will replace it and quite rightly so I'm afraid.

Soldato
Moral of the story don’t buy ****** Peugeot’s :p granted we all have different tastes but why does anyone in the UK still buy anything from Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat or Renault? Different if it’s a 2k runaround but to chuck serious money like anything above 6k at one without a warranty is crazy given some of the ridiculous things you here Breaking on French cars.

Soldato
OP
Moral of the story don’t buy ****** Peugeot’s :p granted we all have different tastes but why does anyone in the UK still buy anything from Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat or Renault? Different if it’s a 2k runaround but to chuck serious money like anything above 6k at one without a warranty is crazy given some of the ridiculous things you here Breaking on French cars.

Aye. Was really careful with the 208 GTI, read loads of good reports online and little problems, did a fair bit of research. Was tempted for an BMW M3 originally but the miles I do, it would cost too much so it was ST or GTI.

It sucks that the electrics still break on these French cars becaise they'd be brilliant.

Soldato
Yeah sure you might be able to pick the right wire out of a harness if you're a home mechanic and somehow have a very detailed loom diagram and about 50 hours to find it and repair it. But it's a modern car with hundreds of wires inside a sealed loom. They're not going to fix it like that, they will replace it and quite rightly so I'm afraid.
He has had the car into Peugeot so what you talking about. I'm a tech and reading a wiring diagram and testing wiring to and from a component is a mandatory skill of the job. You test the wiring from ecu to component then check for any other plugs it goes through and go from there. I've only ever seen full engine harnesses being changed in an accident damage situation.

The guy that said about garages throwing parts at a fault are the worst and should be avoided at all costs. Usually independent places who lack any skill to diagnose. People go there as the bails at the diagnostic charge at the dealer.

Op, I would be trying another Peugeot garage to properly diagnose the fault.

Soldato
OP
I think they might have it right. The error, etc is due to bad wire harness but I doubt they really need to switch the whole thing out. Probably make more money off it.

I might have my seat repaired and leave it at that. I'll give this guy a go.

Soldato

Just remember who bought Vauxhall from GM..... PSA.

Associate

Definitely not.

The dealer will have their specific wiring info. The code will give an idea of what area to check and you can just bell out the wires between connectors to find the fault. Much easier and quicker than a harness swap.

Back
Top Bottom