Sportcontact 6's - do they wear out quickly?

Man of Honour
Hi guys

I need some tyres for my BMW 3 series on 19" wheels. I can get these 4 tyres fitted for £650, seems very good. I'd probably prefer not to have run flats over better ride comfort.

I've been told these tyres wear out quickly and do not represent good value. However my friend has these on his 300 bhp FWD Leon Cupra, has done 9k miles and said the fronts are still good.

The sizes are 225/40/19 and 255/35/19

Cheers

nas

nas

Associate
Hi guys

I need some tyres for my BMW 3 series on 19" wheels. I can get these 4 tyres fitted for £650, seems very good. I'd probably prefer not to have run flats over better ride comfort.

I've been told these tyres wear out quickly and do not represent good value. However my friend has these on his 300 bhp FWD Leon Cupra, has done 9k miles and said the fronts are still good.

The sizes are 225/40/19 and 255/35/19

Cheers
Really? or is that just anecdotal? I'd say for normal driving they'd be fine. Agree with the run flat point however.

Man of Honour
OP
I can actually get them for £618 delivered

My alloys could do with a refurb due to some lacquer peel on all wheels and tiny kerbing one 1 wheel. Makes sense to get wheels refurbed and new tyres put on at the same time

Say if Michellins lasted 30k and these lasted 25k that's fine with me

But how will the "soft compound" be in the next 3 winter months?

Am I likely to have less grip then my Pirelli P zeros that are on now during winter?? They are down to 2-3mm all round

Caporegime
My original conti 5’s (at least I think they were 5’s) wore down to the cords within 6000miles for me... they are woeful.

Exaggeration?

I'd hope you wouldn't wear a tyre down to the cords without noticing... Unless your tracking was out and it wore on the inner edges, in which case thats not a fair comparison. ;)

Soldato
My CS5's lasted 11'000 miles and then swapped to PS4S. Thats on a Leon Cupra 280.

I heard the CS6's dont last as long but havent tried them myself.

Soldato
Exaggeration?

I'd hope you wouldn't wear a tyre down to the cords without noticing... Unless your tracking was out and it wore on the inner edges, in which case thats not a fair comparison. ;)

Nope, I hadn't noticed and was planning on getting them rotated at around 6k but they had gone on the inside edges, which is within tolerance for an A45. To drive, the car still had unbreakable levels of grip so the situation was quite surprising.

Man of Honour
OP
Can get a set of Pirelli P Zero non-run flats for £575 delivered seems like a great option.

I have the run flat version of them now. In summer I loved them, I pushed them very hard and never lost control, hence why they are finished now. But now in cold/wet they are slide easy. Hope a fresh set isn't as bad over the next few months?

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli/pzero/225-40-r19-93y-632538
The rears are MO's. I don't see why this matters?
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli/pzero/255-35-zr19-96y-336238

Caporegime
Nope, I hadn't noticed and was planning on getting them rotated at around 6k but they had gone on the inside edges, which is within tolerance for an A45. To drive, the car still had unbreakable levels of grip so the situation was quite surprising.

Thought it would probably just be the inside edges if you didn't notice. Is that normal for an A45? :)

Can get a set of Pirelli P Zero non-run flats for £575 delivered seems like a great option.

Pirelli P-Zero's are pretty crap by all accounts. There might be some types which are good but I know some are definitely pretty poor compared to the likes of the F1A2/3 etc.

@Gibbo @[TW]Fox

Man of Honour
OP
I have this feeling I'm just going think **** it and buy a set of PS4S's

Getting so bored of looking for tyres, and they are the only perfect ones:mad::mad:

Permabanned
My original conti 5’s (at least I think they were 5’s) wore down to the cords within 6000miles for me... they are woeful.

How the heck did you manage that? The last few sets of mine have done 20-25k miles on the 320d and they're a good tire.

They last a good 15-20k on the E92 M3 and that puts 420bhp through the rears...

To the OP... if you're worried about it, why not buy the PS4s with their 30k mile warranty? I'm probably buying them next for my 530d.

I've had 3 sets of Conti SC5s and they've been good.

I haven't tried the 6 yet.

Back
Top Bottom