*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Soldato
Finally back to doing legs after a month out from an ankle injury. I feel like I've lost all my hard work so far this year, I was almost at my target of 150 squat ( i did 145 reasonably comfortably) now I can't even see myself doing 125. :(

Soldato
had interesting session with a level2 phys - he is saying my body is not damaged but its compensating badly with movement. He gave me example about lifting hands above head - which was painful and limited with both feet on floor. Lifting my right leg up - the pain greatly reduced and movement was better.... Ive got a few weird excercises to do

e.g. lay on back , foot on bed, knee bent and push into my foot and raise bum
lay on side with both arms outstretched and reach over without straining - do it relaxed
step forward slightly on left foot and put weight on it and raise both hands over head

Hopefully will reconfigure my body and fix my shoulder....

Man of Honour
OP
had interesting session with a level2 phys - he is saying my body is not damaged but its compensating badly with movement. He gave me example about lifting hands above head - which was painful and limited with both feet on floor. Lifting my right leg up - the pain greatly reduced and movement was better.... Ive got a few weird excercises to do

e.g. lay on back , foot on bed, knee bent and push into my foot and raise bum
lay on side with both arms outstretched and reach over without straining - do it relaxed
step forward slightly on left foot and put weight on it and raise both hands over head

Hopefully will reconfigure my body and fix my shoulder....

Do you do deficit Bulgarian split squats?

Man of Honour
OP
no never done that? what are they and would they help my shoulder?

Unilateral leg work, designed to:

a) Cause untold misery for the week after;
b) Quite possibly the best way to test for, remediate and prevent imbalances in most of your kinetic chain. Ever.

If you're doing the glute bridge stuff, that's the nice and gentle work to ease you in, but Bulgarian split squats will - once you've got some semblance of recovery going on - really show up what your kinetic chains are (not) doing.

Soldato
OK cool mrthingyx

What glute bridge stuff? :)

He showed me in mirror how my pecs lats fire differently left and right when raising arm above head and this also is causing an imbalance...

Was really interesting and hopefully will help long term :)

He said I was really poor flexibility everywhere and will be very hard after all these years to fix...

Associate
had about 4/5 weeks off training because started uni and didnt want to join the crappy on site one but did anyway :o after my 2 hour push workout i fell asleep as soon as I got back, which was about 10am. lost a lot of strength again

Soldato
Training with RPE - it makes a lot of sense to me. I ride 8+ hours a week on my bike and so I have finally realised why some days weights fly up and other days just suck and therefore why following strict % workouts seems to break me. Does anyone use such a system?

Man of Honour
OP
I still lift :)

Orly? Pics or it didn't happen.

One more session of smolov jr left. My legs no longer fit into my good pair of jeans and I keep popping the pockets of my work trousers off.

Nice. Pics or it didn't happen.

Well it has been awhile since I've been back here! Finally after 6 months of not lifting, I'm finally getting back in to it and one thing I will never miss.. DOMS!

Yesssssss... Warmups of 70kg strict press?

Training with RPE - it makes a lot of sense to me. I ride 8+ hours a week on my bike and so I have finally realised why some days weights fly up and other days just suck and therefore why following strict % workouts seems to break me. Does anyone use such a system?

Occasionally toyed with a Bulgarian scheme of working up to a daily training max and then working at a percentage of that weight. With Olympic lifts it was just about bearable; with squats it was absolute murder... Even my ears had DOMS.

Soldato

I try and take RPE/RIR into consideration although I don't find I typically need to adjust the load much on any given workout.

Associate
Left it late in the year...
Have been trying to get stronger and decided to join a gym and commence 5x5 program.
Have been watching hours and hours of videos to understand form and mobility - loving the guys on JTS.
Age and height are not on my side for progress 50 and 6 ft 3" :eek:
Will add my lifts as I gain an understanding of them.

Wishe me luck

Man of Honour
OP
Left it late in the year...
Have been trying to get stronger and decided to join a gym and commence 5x5 program.
Have been watching hours and hours of videos to understand form and mobility - loving the guys on JTS.
Age and height are not on my side for progress 50 and 6 ft 3" :eek:
Will add my lifts as I gain an understanding of them.

Wishe me luck

Awesome stuff - Freefaller is a similarly aged lifter and he is pretty immense. ;)

Back
Top Bottom