Strange noise today

Associate
Wonder if anyone here can help me.

I have an A3 1.9TDI 2005 and today noticed a very strange noise. Used the car yesterday and didnt hear anything wrong. So weird. I recorded a short video. Any ideas?

Noticed when i drove to the gym today. We actually drove to IKEA and back which is a 15 miles journey in total. It drives fine (well, apart from the noise). So weird. Seems like the sound is coming from behind the engine where the air tube is. Wonder is the tube has cracked or has a hole in it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Noticed when i drove to the gym today. We actually drove to IKEA and back which is a 15 miles journey in total. It drives fine (well, apart from the noise). So weird. Seems like the sound is coming from behind the engine where the air tube is. Wonder is the tube has cracked or has a hole in it.

Soldato
I'd check all the boost hoses first, before saying the bottom end is dead, these engines sound dreadfully rattly and really loud if a boost hose pops off. That the noise seems to be coming from behind the engine where a boost pipe is likely to be, may point to these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvjT4PM56E

Although one would expect it to drive badly with no boost...! Any other symptoms...lack of power, warning lights, black smoke or similar?

Associate
OP
I'd check all the boost hoses first, before saying the bottom end is dead, these engines sound dreadfully rattly and really loud if a boost hose pops off. That the noise seems to be coming from behind the engine where a boost pipe is likely to be, may point to these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvjT4PM56E

Although one would expect it to drive badly with no boost...! Any other symptoms...lack of power, warning lights, black smoke or similar?

Thanks for the reply. No, no warning lights, oil level is fine. Didnt notice any lack of power (turbine once failed on me ages ago so i know how it feels with no turbo). Very strange

Soldato
Before declaring it dead, remove the undershield and check the vent holes in the gearbox bell housing for metallic debris. Dying DMF flywheels can make some pretty dramatic noises too.

Man of Honour
If you bring the engine speed up, just like that, but lightly slip the clutch (not enough to move the car, just enough to feel it tug) does the noise change (get louder, softer, go away etc) ?

If the noise is dramatically reduced by the clutch, it could be a seriously fried DMF. Otherwise it could be serious engine damage, although 15 miles sounding like that would have more than likley killed it off if that was the case.

PS. I suppose at a stretch it could also be exhaust related, but seems a bit loud, so double check if you can see or feel any exhaust escaping. If it was, and it sounded like that, it would only be from a single exhaust port.

Back
Top Bottom