Good WiFi adaptor

Soldato
hi all,

Can someone recommend me a good WiFi adaptor. Want the best I can get in terms of transfer speeds but it must be plug and play as I don’t have a CD drive on my PC.

Thanks!

Soldato
Want the best I can get in terms of transfer speeds...

Need to be more specific here. The "best" is matching whatever your hub has (if it's the HH5 it's 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac, if it's the newer "Smart Hub" it's got an extra antenna, 4x4).

Assuming you mean the Smart Hub then from ocuk's range you're looking at on of these

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

That'll give you the best chance of reaching the max 2167 Mbit/s.

However you probably don't actually want that ;) unless you want extreme LAN performance.

So probably a good idea to mention now your broadband speed as that's probably more important.

Also a budget, and USB or PCIe?

Associate
Sorry to hijack, but I'm also looking at a good wifi adaptor. The one that came with my Virgin router (dual band) is USB2, so I see this as the bottle neck. Whether I'd simply benefit from a high-end adaptor like this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-usb-ac68-dual-band-ac1900-usb-wi-fi-adapter-nw-106-as.html

or whether any simple USB 3 adaptor would be enough? My broadband speed is 200Mbps, of which when running speedtest I get about 150Mbps at worst and around 198Mbps (around 12-15Mbps U/L) at best on the laptop and phone. However, on my desktop up stairs at the back of the house I'm getting a measly 30Mbps, sometimes only 12Mbps. Aside from streaming media and online gaming, I tend to share media across my laptop and desktop, and to my TV now and then.

I've thought about Powerline adaptors like the Netgear PLP1200, but I've read that 5Ghz wifi is much faster anyway.

Any help appreciated.

Soldato
OP
What sort of walls. Different materials and construction will have different amount of blocking of wireless signal.

One is brick, other stud.

I got the Linksys WUSB6300-EJ a while back for £25. It's a USB 3.0 adapter and dual band. Works a charm.

I’ll have a look, thanks :)

Edit: it needs a cd setup, I need just a plug and play. Haven’t bothered with a CD drive on my new build.

Soldato
OP
Need to be more specific here. The "best" is matching whatever your hub has (if it's the HH5 it's 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac, if it's the newer "Smart Hub" it's got an extra antenna, 4x4).

Assuming you mean the Smart Hub then from ocuk's range you're looking at on of these

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

That'll give you the best chance of reaching the max 2167 Mbit/s.

However you probably don't actually want that ;) unless you want extreme LAN performance.

So probably a good idea to mention now your broadband speed as that's probably more important.

Also a budget, and USB or PCIe?

I’m easy on budget, Ive been looking at;

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3389...hthG1fhSYomBPV8NPtqj8G8Zvp95A2zxoC3IcQAvD_BwE

But I’m easy and not just after a cheap option.

The one above looks cool but I’m not necessarily after overkill either :p

Soldato
One is brick, other stud.
You may be at the limit at which the router can transmit through then especially at that distance. No matter what WiFi card you have in the client.

Are you using 2.4 or 5 Ghz? Try connecting on 2.4 as this has better ability to transmit though walls etc. Albeit having a lower throughput.

Soldato
OP
What about using a repeater?

I could put a repeater in which could have an (almost) direct LoS on the WiFi receptor from about 10 foot away. Or would this murder speed?

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom