Minimizing plastic

Soldato
Replace plastic with glass wherever possible and ban excess use of plastic seems a basic step. I wouldn't have a problem with some additionally funded cleanup operations.

Man of Honour
we can do what we can, but the point is if you analyse the world critically you're going to make far higher improvement for less effort if you use those same resources to improve the worst offenders.
That doesn't work, even if you send money it's next to impossible to dictate. It is far more successfully to do what you can and persadue other countries do the same. Many countries all ready have fee on bottles and there recycling rate is extremely high. More countries to adopt the more pressure it puts on the remaining one.

On top of that it makes economic sense. All these raw material imports that are just going to landfill or worse.

Associate
It's the evening, I'm tired.

Could change to biodegradable then, they do that for home deliveries and potatoes etc

You can get reusable veg bags. They are basically a net bag, I assume so the checkout person can see what is in there. You might end up paying ever so slightly more per kg though. ;)

Soldato
I was reasonably impressed by my Crosshair board, no film wrap around the box, internal support is card, with a single clear polycarbonate cover. Metallised plastic bags, none. Could make you a bit insecure I suppose for unwanted access to the box before purchase.

Associate
I bought a dyson recently. In the box every diffierent attachment came in its own plastic bag as did every manual and piece of paperwork. Why does something designed to collect dust need dust protection in the box!

Man of Honour
It has always boggled my mind that we don't reuse stuff more - maybe not the most cost effective but why don't we for instance have reusable containers for things like shower gel that can be refilled at the store or by a delivery/round process?

Caporegime
It has always boggled my mind that we don't reuse stuff more - maybe not the most cost effective but why don't we for instance have reusable containers for things like shower gel that can be refilled at the store or by a delivery/round process?

This is actually something I've considered, as you can do it yourself

Associate

Logistics, cost and market access probably.

A plastic bottle can easily be stocked in any sized store. If you wanted a reusable system the store would need a dedicated space for your tank of stuff and refilling station. It would take up a lot more space in store (prohibitively in something like a Tesco metro) and thus limit your market.

Soldato

indeed, like the old milk bottles, or as the europeans have started doing glass bottles of almost all forms (seriously the german pfand does make you want to recycle more with minimum of hassle and you can still use the good ol' trash when you need to)

i think there's still a lot that legislation and manufacturers can do, there's a lot of unnessecary packaging.

take multipack crisps- why not 1 big bag with a re-usable ziplock bag for you to divvy out portions?

or bigger packs of common ingredients- like pasta or rice that aren't perishible to the same degree

and dont get me started on product packaging, like the example of the torx drivers earlier, there's really no need for protective packaging on some things

another example would be things like mobile phones- why bundle cables and chargers with the device? i have loads of unused phone chargers and cables because everything being microusb i just have one big charging brick that powers everything and a couple of standard cables

Man of Honour
another example would be things like mobile phones- why bundle cables and chargers with the device? i have loads of unused phone chargers and cables because everything being microusb i just have one big charging brick that powers everything and a couple of standard cables

What bothers me more about mobile phones - the last one I bought had way more plastic used for laying stuff out inside than needed, there was like 7x welcome mini leaflets all in their own individual shrink wrap in different languages - 3 copies of the main manual in different languages each individually wrapped then half a dozen offers/extra card things each also individually wrapped or sleeved in plastic, etc. etc. 2/3rds of the contents went in the bin :(

Not so bothered about the charger and cables as I use a fair few spares, etc.

Soldato
What bothers me more about mobile phones - the last one I bought had way more plastic used for laying stuff out inside than needed, there was like 7x welcome mini leaflets all in their own individual shrink wrap in different languages - 3 copies of the main manual in different languages each individually wrapped then half a dozen offers/extra card things each also individually wrapped or sleeved in plastic, etc. etc. 2/3rds of the contents went in the bin :(

Not so bothered about the charger and cables as I use a fair few spares, etc.

that too, whatever happened to just having 1 leaflet with all the languages on it?

Back
Top Bottom