Ireland to USA travel - odd question

Associate
I'm a pilot based in Dublin and I can confirm this is the case with Aer Lingus (not sure about Norwegian). Dublin is a relatively easy airport to catch a connecting flight.

Caporegime
I've never had an issue clearing US customs - the last time I went I was travelling on an ESTA and flying into Chicago I was through in about 30 minutes.

Caporegime
this is currently being negotiated for some UK airports too (Edinburgh and Manchester)... IIRC though the US may want their customs and immigration people to be armed (which seems a bit odd given the security already in place at airports - edit, this could be the usual UK newspaper scare story as the ones at Irish airports apparently aren't armed)

Soldato
Just FYI the US pre clearance at Dublin airport opens at 8am, its not a 24hr service so if you are getting an early morning flight it wont be any use to you as I found out recently.

It took all of 5 minutes for me to get through immigration at LAX on arrival though, which is quicker than the time it takes to walk to the pre clearance area... I'll be skipping it altogether next time.

Caporegime
Biggest advantage is if you have a connecting flight in the US. Passport control will typically take about 20 minutes or so but can be 90 minutes ore more if multiple large international planes end up landing at the same time.

Soldato
I've spent three hours in a immigration queue at LAX on Labor Day. They had one desk open for non-US passport holders and wouldn't let us use the queue for US passport holders. It wasn't pleasant and we would have missed our connecting flight if it hadn't been for other travellers allowing us to jump to the front.

Soldato
This is worth considering, especially if you travel alone. Those who are thinking of the timing are forgetting just how bad the homeland security officers are when they feel like it. I was threatened with deportation and held for 6 hours (missing my connecting flight) all because I was staying at a residential address for the duration of my visit.

Even if traveling with family, the queues in places like Sanford can be horrendous. Even the Americans complain about how bad their airports are.

We met a family in New York a couple of years ago and the mother was in tears of frustration at the way they were getting treated, and they were Americans.

Associate
I didn't know this was possible. Going through customs on departure sounds really good and convenient, to get over and done with the hassle beforehand. They should have this system at more airports.

Caporegime
Same thing in Toronto, Canada. US immigration pre clearance before boarding flight.

And Calgary.

There’s a few other places as well IIRC. It’s much nicer going through immigration outside the US as they seem to be a little friendlier and the wait is a lot shorter/non existent.

Last few times Ive been there is just an almighty queue at Customs which took about an hour and a half to get through.

If you ever have to wait for someone going through a non EU immigration line at places like Heathrow it’s no better.

I used to regularly have to wait 45 mins-1 hour for my gf to get through after breezing through the UK line.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does anyone have a list of the airlines that can use the US preclearance and what times it can be used? Been reading conflicting reports and really want to get it booked up this weekend so wont be able to call Dublin airport

Edit - Ive found a KLM flight which says it is operated by Delta for a good price. As its operated by Delta will it be in T2 and will I be able to use the preclearance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom