The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
I think the only ties they have are that Amazon are probably their single biggest retail outlet, I suspect the reason for the link is because they know people are likely to buy from Amazon anyway (either due to price, or the assurance of buying from a more well known retailer).
When I looked at the link it also appeared to be a referrer one, so ATA are probably getting a bit of commission for sales made via that link.

Often distributors won't be the cheapest for their discs as it tends to upset the retailers, so it's not uncommon for Amazon or other retailers to be cheaper much of the time than the distributor/publisher.

Talking of CEX wanting more second hand than Amazon etc want new, a friend wanted Voices of a Distant Star on Blu-ray the other day, we finally found him a copy from CEX for £35!
i must admit I have had a chuckle at CEX when I went in and found their anime was all more than even HMV.

Associate
today deal on alltheanime.com is "Assassination Classroom Season 1 Blu-ray bundle" for £24.99 which is includes the part 1 blu-ray limited edited with cardboard slip-cover and part 2 blu ray edition or Assassination Classroom Season 1 Part 1 Ltd Ed Blu-ray for £14.99, Assassination Classroom Season 1 Part 2 Blu-ray for £14.99 so for those that don't have either the bundle package workout cheaper that buying them individual, but they also added the option for those who have part 1 or part 2 already.

Soldato
Another help me find this anime request :o
Storyline:- a high school guy moves to a school in the mountains/countryside with his sickly younger brother and stays at an inn he stayed at when a child
typical school/slice of life anime about his interaction with his school friends and school activities
Think this is a bit old...maybe 5-10 years?

Think a monkey steals the younger boys hat at the beginning of the first episode

Commissario
OP
Today's offers are.

Alltheanime.com
Erased. Part 1 Limited edition BD/DVD combo £15
Fullmetal Alchemist part 1 (episodes 1-27) Limited edition BD £15
Tokyo Ghoul √A Blu-ray Ltd Collector's Edition £10
Gankutsuou Blu-ray Ltd Ed Steel Box £10
Harmony Blu-ray+DVD (Ltd Ed Steel Box) £10

Rage of Bahamut Blu-ray Ltd Ed £15
Psycho-Pass 2 Blu-ray Ltd. Ed. £15

Empire of Corpses Blu-ray £10

Whilst anime-on-line.com has

A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Collector's Edition (12) Blu-Ray £47 (was 119)
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Collector's Edition Combi Collection (12) BD/DVD £20
Tenchi Muyo OVA Collector's Edition Combi (15) BD/DVD £20
The Eccentric Family Series Collector's Edition Collection (12) Blu-Ray £20

A few good offers in there if you haven't already got them.

I'll confess to going Tenchi, it's an old, old, favourite and the discs I've got are the old Pioneer ones (that had white cases and came with the coins).

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Has anyone been watching Inuyashiki? Pretty good but very graphic.

Not heard of Claymore or Ray=out so will check it out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I bought Your Name in HMV today purely because I want one with an English Dub, I got to say, the movie works best in Japanese, even though i don't understand the language, the voice acting is just that bit better, you can hear the feelings and emotion in the voices more.

The other thing, about the movie itself, the more time I watch this the more I appreciate just how detailed the animations are, the attention to detail to this is just staggering, if you have been to Japan you will appreciate it even more, the attention to detail is amazing.

The buildings, the skyline is very accurate, I can identify the buildings, I know the director does this in his movies, take real world location and translate them into anime but it is still very impressive. They seem to have all the branding, from BOSS coffee, to JR line to the bottled water. The shape and size of the leave which is on a common tree that turns yellow in Japan. On the pavement, there are a lot of yellow colour raised state for blind people to follow for directions/exits, they have drawn them in here. Even the little noise when the train door opens is the same!

Also, anyone notice that Mitsuha uses am iPhone 4 whereas Taki is using iPhone 6 onwards. Big hint to the time element and again, attention to detail.

Soldato
It's a Japanese film ... of course it's left very ambiguous, having watched a lot of live action, as well as animated, Japanese films having an ambiguous ending is almost a pre-requisite (as well in a lot of cases of not really having a coherent story line) .... :)

edit: well that'll be next years Japan trip booked :)

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Todays offers on alltheanime are pretty awesome.
Fullmetal Panic BD set (all 3 series) £18
Outlaw Star BD collectors set £13
Noein BD set £5
Wings of Honneamise BD limited edtion £8
Evangelion 1.11 limited edition BD/DVD with tea towel £20
Expelled from Paradise limited edition BD/DVD £13
Hal BD limited edition set £5
Re:Cyborg 009 limited edition BD set £5
Aldnoah.Zero Season 1 Blu-ray Ltd Ed £18
Escaflowne the movie £6
Escaflone TV series DVD £13

If I didn't have them already the FMP, Wings, and Expelled from Paradise sets would be in my basket, With Hal not far behind.

As it is I'm going with Noein as I remember that being interesting.

Last edited:
Associate
Todays offers on alltheanime are pretty awesome.
Fullmetal Panic BD set (all 3 series) £18
Outlaw Star BD collectors set £13
Noein BD set £5
Wings of Honneamise BD limited edtion £8
Evangelion 1.11 limited edition BD/DVD with tea towel £20
Expelled from Paradise limited edition BD/DVD £13
Hal BD limited edition set £5
Re:Cyborg 009 limited edition BD set £5
Aldnoah.Zero Season 1 Blu-ray Ltd Ed £18
Escaflowne the movie £6
Escaflone TV series DVD £13

If I didn't have them already the FMP, Wings, and Expelled from Paradise sets would be in my basket, With Hal not far behind.

As it is I'm going with Noein as I remember that being interesting.

well for me as I've already bought Aldnoah.Zero, Escaflowne (ultimate edition), Noein, Fullmetal Panic(ultimate), wing of honneamise and re:cyborg 009, so I put Expelled from Paradise and outlaw star into my basket.

Commissario
OP
Outlaw Star is an older one, but still fun (I watched it again when I got the set a while back) and what I still contend is one of the most soothing ending songs of any anime.
It also has some lovely art during the end credits by a guy who also did classic Science Fiction covers for the Japanese (and some made it to the UK/US*), apparently the end art is meant to be from other stories by the writer behind the original Outlaw Star stories set in the same universe (of which the only other one to be made into an anime was Angel Links).

*I was surprised when I looked up his work to find several bits I recognised from books on my shelves (one of my favourite Isaac Asimov book covers included).

Soldato
Yesterdays MVM Christmas deal was Log Horizon, seasons 1 & 2 bundle on BD or DVD ... not bad for £40 for both seasons on BD.
Todays offer is "Rozen Maiden & Traumend Bundle [Contains Series, Ouverture & Zuruckspulen]" on DVD ... think I've got too much Rozen Maiden already to justify this on DVD.

AlltheAnime is of course at the blind box stage ...

The Blu-ray Collector's Edition Mystery Box
You get 7 mystery Blu-ray Ltd Collector's Edition sets
(plus some bonus goodies) for only £39.99

Limited to 500 pieces. Contains items "worth over £360"

And an equivalent item for DVD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to Akihabara last week…I think everyone in this thread need to visit, I didn't know where to start, it feels like I know nothing about Anime walking around.

I remember the first time I went, it was back in 2008 and was before i figured out how to use the rail system in Tokyo so ended up getting a taxi there and back from my hotel in Shinjuku (which wasn't cheap). Since then I've been back many times and have favourite shops which I always go to (mainly to pick up second hand concert DVDs(*) at a discount rather than anime), restaurants I like (normally go to the sashimi don place in the UDX building at least once per trip (well normally way more than that)) and of course to the PARMS building to see a Kamen Joshi concert.

(*) Concert boxsets are expensive like all Japanese media, hell a CD _single_ is >£10, ... fortunately there are many outlets which sell second hand media (which may just not include bundled photos as they can be sold separately) for a good discount. New you could be talking £150-£200 for a boxset for a single concert series ... second hand you can normally halve that and thanks to shops like Book Off, who have strict criteria on the condition of items they resell, everything tends to be in pristine condition.

I remember a few years ago the Japanese Film Festival showed the anime film Anthem of the Heart as part of it's UK program but I missed out on watching it due to it selling out. but fortunately the Japanese BD release was coming out the following week (with English subtitles) and I was going to Japan the week after. Managed to get the film second hand from a shop in Akihabara, in perfect condition for less than the UK collectors edition eventually went for and less than half the Japanese retail price.

What is very dangerous is that Book Off also move stock via Yahoo JP auctions (bigger than Ebay out there) and you can proxy bid on them via FromJapan easily and in English ... that can get expensive ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom