Storage frustration

Associate
Hi guys. I'm having a problem with online storage... I currently have 2x 256GB SSD's and 2x 2TB HDD and also a NAS drive. I'm a photographer so I need the space. So my problem is this... With me being an Amazon Prime customer I get Amazon Photos for free, which comes with unlimited space. I want my photos in the cloud incase my drives fail. I downloaded the amazon windows app and it installed on the C drive (an SSD), I uploaded ALL of my photos to the cloud. It worked brilliantly, super easy to use, but.... I got a warning that the C drive was almost full, which I thought was strange. I looked at it and found that ALL of my photos had been copied to the C drive, taking up masses of space. So I deleted the Amazon folder and disconnected the cloud storage. So... Is it possible to have an app, whether its Amazon, onedrive or Gdrive, installed and not have it take up space on the drive its installed on? Thanks for reading this essay. Have a nice day

Last edited:
Soldato
You can upload via the Amazon website and not require the app which would save space though when I last used the Amazon app it didn't download a copy of what I already had uploaded and it enabled me to dump photos there for the upload queue.

Soldato
I'm on a Mac, not PC but with the Mac-based desktop app, you don't have to sync your drive folder, you can just upload directly from the app.

Don
What NAS do you have?

Synology Cloud Sync app is great. You can pick which direction(s) the data moves.

IE,
>Keep both the same
>Only send from NAS to Amazon
>Only retrieve from Amazon to NAS

Soldato
Most cloud storage applications work on a sync basis, which means you keep a copy locally and a copy in the cloud - the idea isn't to free up space, but to give you a protected copy of the file that is stored elsewhere.

Most i've used do offer the ability to upload the file, which means you don't need to keep the file locally. However these require a much more manual process to uploading than what the sync feature offers.

Back
Top Bottom