THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

Caporegime
Interesting response, re the CSL and what they fetch these days do you ever wish you’d kept it from a financial perspective or would you say it served its purpose but no regrets? Iirc you sold the first Mustang (666) got the CSL and then sold the CSL to get the 666 back - bloody high testament to the 666 if ever there was! - still remember the CSL outside Imex, and a mate of mine saying “oh look, a CSL replica “ I took great pleasure in pointing out it wasn’t a rep... :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Interesting response, re the CSL and what they fetch these days do you ever wish you’d kept it from a financial perspective or would you say it served its purpose but no regrets? Iirc you sold the first Mustang (666) got the CSL and then sold the CSL to get the 666 back - bloody high testament to the 666 if ever there was! - still remember the CSL outside Imex, and a mate of mine saying “oh look, a CSL replica “ I took great pleasure in pointing out it wasn’t a rep... :D

All I miss about the CSL is the colour and its originality, really like silver grey. But I don't miss the car as such, I far prefer my M3, which I guess comes from a ride comfort and acceleration perspective, my M3 really is much much quicker than a CSL, more power, less weight, shorter diff ratio, it makes quite a difference and of course the smaller and lighter wheels help. I love mine to drive, I gave it my mate for a few hours as he had a CSL years ago too and regular E46 M3's and was interested in one as a track car and weekend toy. It is the guy with the yellow 800HP Mustang, anyway he took my M3 for a drive and now he owns two E46 M3's, yes the nutter purchased two.

One he is restoring to complete factory stock and the other he is turning into a track car like mine, but he was blown away by my car, could not believe how snappy and quick the SMG was compared to a regular M3 and simply how quick it accelerated. If I remember right a CSL is around 10.5s to 100mph and regular M3 around 12s. Mine is just over 9.5s, it was as quick as my Mustang that had 500HP, so its really quick, that also makes it fun as the new Focus RS boys and other fast hot hatches see an E46 M3 as a target these days, so when your 15yr old M3 just destroys them, well they probably stay well clear of E46 M3's after that. :D
It was also fun on my NC500 trip in it with Mustang guys to pull out and overtaking them even on the straights, which is testament to how well it accelerates.

I am so excited to get it back, to just look at it and admire it. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Got an SVR on the way to me. :D :D :D :D :D

Great that they bring the car to me haha, don't even need to leave the OcUK helm. :D :D :D

Must be desperate to sell it, OK I take it, 70k. ;)

Man of Honour
Got an SVR on the way to me. :D :D :D :D :D

Great that they bring the car to me haha, don't even need to leave the OcUK helm. :D :D :D

Must be desperate to sell it, OK I take it, 70k. ;)

As it should be. When they know you have money to spend, they will work for it.

OcUK Staff
OP
Ohhhhh. :p

I thought youd bitten the bullet!

Nope there is a few for sale and I know its going to depreciate harsher than some others, so if it is the car I want, I need to try to buy it as aggressive as I can to limit my losses, as such be the patient one, I have monies, they have a car they want to sell, I want to pay X and that is my offer, they either refuse and come back to me accepting in time or we just forget.

I was not planning on Mustang arrival until March/April or even May, the Golf was supposed to last the Winter and though it is exciting to jump now, better to think before leaping.

Soldato
If you’re putting 10,000 miles a year on a supercar you probably can’t rely on the residual values being banded around. If you’re looking at buying a car and driving it then residuals shouldn’t come into the equation as it’s not an investment. A GT3 to use as a road car daily driver just doesn’t make sense. If you’re going for that, then you would have 2 track cars and one wouldn’t get driven. Glad you’ve got a F Type SVR to play with! Let us know how you get on.

Don
Maybe, they are getting the car for me to test drive. The balloon payment I shall keep under 20k, so its not a huge amount of cash to stump up in a couple years time if I want to keep if I go ahead.

I am trying to not rush into anything as plenty about and I want to see if they continue falling in price, but as a good friend said, if you keep it then it does not matter so much.

Yes I change cars a lot but some I've kept for very long periods, 911 (nearly 5yr), original Mustang (4yr) and my M3 I've had now for quite some time, must be 4-5 years. :)

Also I think with my original Mustang if it had not had the two weaknesses it had, auto and wet handling I'd have kept it as I really did love the car, people diss Mustangs, but it generally comes from those who aint owned them and I remember when it was first announced all the naysayers saying it will fail, yet it succeeded and did so hugely.

But I won't lie I really like the Jag, it is shouty and loud like a Mustang, its got a fantastic auto and AWD (RWD biased) which really solves the issues I had with my Mustang, only real downside, double the price because someone here at work showed me SVR, I hate that person. :D

Don't get me wrong, I like the car and it would fit your bill, but I just don't think it will suit you. If I was in your shoes, knowing you have a love for GT3's, that'd be on my list and I'd keep the golf and M3 up until a point where one would be attainable.

Permabanned
Don't get me wrong, I like the car and it would fit your bill, but I just don't think it will suit you. If I was in your shoes, knowing you have a love for GT3's, that'd be on my list and I'd keep the golf and M3 up until a point where one would be attainable.

this ^^

OcUK Staff
OP
OK mind is blown, jesus christ it could not be further away from that V6S I drove and the sheer force and pin you in the seat was mind blowing. I need to calm down but what a car, really what a car it may be no faster than a 911 GT3, GTR but my god it feels vastly quicker, its savage, which I really like and any RPM, 1500, 3000, 4500 or 6000 and the thing just engages hyper drive.

Soldato
OK mind is blown, jesus christ it could not be further away from that V6S I drove and the sheer force and pin you in the seat was mind blowing. I need to calm down but what a car, really what a car it may be no faster than a 911 GT3, GTR but my god it feels vastly quicker, its savage, which I really like and any RPM, 1500, 3000, 4500 or 6000 and the thing just engages hyper drive.
Go and look at 'Show us your motors' and come back to us :p

Back
Top Bottom