What was the first computer you owned ?

Man of Honour
Oh I had an A3000 nice machine, only a floppy drive though which was getting too small even then. I upgraded the ram from 0.5mb to 1.0mb I think it was the memory "stick" was larger than a brick lol

The A3010 was a nice upgrade from the 3000 despite the small version difference - the ARM250 graphics performance especially was a nice jump. RAM upgrades were um interesting but putting a HDD in another matter again - IIRC a company called Castle Technology or something did the upgrade on mine which was almost a mod - it was like a riser with two PCBs and a cage on it to support a HDD (all internal).

Associate
zx81 ... the joy of typing in programs from magazines, then searching for the errors in the code that stopped it from working.

Associate
Had a ZX Spectrum to start with and then following that we had a:

This multimedia computer features an Intel Pentium 75 processor; 8MB RAM expandable to 72MB; 1.2GB hard drive; 3.5" floppy drive; 4 bays; 4 slots; quad-speed CD-ROM; desktop; 1MB VRAM; PCI local bus; 16-bit stereo sound card; stereo speakers with microphone; 14.4 data/14.4 fax modem; voice mail answering system; full duplex speakerphone; security controls; Midi capable. It comes with Prodigy starter kit; MS Windows 3.11, MS DOS 6.22; MS Works 3.0b; Encarta Encyclopedia; MS Money; system backup; .28 monitor; Windows '95 upgrade coupon. 1 yr LMW.

Or something similar, looked like this: http://www.qvc.com/Packard-Bell-Pentium-75-Multimedia-Computer.product.E12446.html

bru

bru

Soldato
Good thread.

Started way back when with a Sinclair zx 80( yes an 80 not 81).
Moved to a spectrum then on an Atari ST (non of that Amiga rubbish, my god the ST vs Amiga wars were just as bad as the NVIDIA vs ATI/AMD are now.) Just goes to show that some of us never really grew up.:p

Moved on to a 286 which was just so fast at the time, but so quickly the 386 and then 456 came and went. I did have a 486 dx4 100 I seem to recall it was better than the cyrix 486 that replaced it.
First chip that I actually had to pay for myself was a Pentium 200 MMX, still got the chip somewhere I believe :p.
The celery 266 overclocked to 400 with its sloket design was in there somewhere and there was Pentium 4 but I cannot remember which model, I do know it wouldn't do the magical 1 GHz that was all the rage at the time.:(

Unfortunately there are a few gaps in my memory from then on because I have been ill, but I know I had a i7 920 on socket 1366, the board I still use now in my own rig, but now with a xenon 5650 at 4.4 GHZ. This was my fist step into water cooling as well, my GTX 970 will be the next upgrade, possibly when Ampere arrives.
hopefully we will see something at GTC in march next year.

sorry for the long post, but it was nice to remember the early days.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Technically a C64.

But actual proper PC, it was an AST Advantage!

Packed full of the following beige fury:

Intel DX2 50MHz
4MB RAM
1MB Cirrus Logic
SoundBlaster 16
270MB HDD
2x CD-ROM
14" CRT

Soldato
Amstrad CPC464 with green screen monitor.
Had long break between using Amstrad and getting back into computing again with the P100.
FIrst PC was a P100 from Time computers (ran loads of full page ads at the time).

Associate
Used mates fathers homemade basic PC in an aluminum box. He was a university lecturer and right in there at the beginning and when he was not using it to tot up his accounts we played games with cursours going around a maze. In black and white.

Tape decks.....floppy disks.....took bloody ages and I am impatient and half the time it did not work.

I guess some of the earlier ones would have been Intel 386? 486 I don't recall.

Then they became home PCs. Atari's, Apple, basic. Some had Pacman we were amazeballs at it. In the meantime when given the choice between an Oric 1 and a guitar and amp rock and roll won early 1980's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oric#Oric-1

Used an Apple at Uni mid 1980's. Bought an Amiga for gaming. Then a second-hand laptop. New laptop. Made several desktops with uber PC overlord tech guru mates and then after two builds started to build them myself self (always with your ongoing help and advice I might add).

I had to learn some IT skills because I could not bombard said PC uber gurus everytime something didn't work...had to learn to keep them running.

Still terrible at the guitar. But I am delighted I missed out on the tapes, floppy, BBC, Sinclair slow stuff and I can tinker with the stuff around the turn of the century!

Decent two and quad cores was where I jumped on to desktops! It has all become a bit more user friendly which suits a novice like me.

Back
Top Bottom