Cash in the attic? Any idea what this is?

Associate
Hey everyone,

Happy Friday! Got a bit of a mystery for you...

One of my neighbours found this in the loft. His wife says it's collecting dust and needs to be thrown out but he's hoping it's worth something.

First up, does anyone have any clue what it is?! From the hallmarks we think 1901 and silver plated but that's all we've got!

The markings on the back are:

1A Elkington P E&co. RD369937

55mq84.jpg

id56pl.jpg

To give you an idea of size:
2udzztk.jpg

A quick sketch of the hallmarks on the back:
k9gzt0.jpg

Thanks!! :)

Associate
OP
hallmarked and royal insignia on the back.. i'd get it valued

B@

We were wondering about that. What's the deal with Royal Insignia in use c.1901? Would it mean it was made for the Royal Family or was it just fashionable to have on stuff at the time? Also - IR? Was that James I?

Still plated though.

Quite - not much value in the scrap - hopefully it is a nice, rare collectable or something

Associate
Maybe some sort of serving knife, e.g. cake or pie server? Have you got a local auction house? Could get one of their appraisers to take a look. Wouldn't have thought it would be worth a fortune though.

Associate
maybe some interest as a curiosity online, aside from that, tat.. lucky to get £50. Not really old, not really notable, unless you can prove it belonged to oscar wilde or somebody special.. and plate, tat.. Regards to the royal bit, that is just a hallmark of a silversmith who makes or has made silver for royalty.

Caporegime
We were wondering about that. What's the deal with Royal Insignia in use c.1901? Would it mean it was made for the Royal Family or was it just fashionable to have on stuff at the time? Also - IR? Was that James I?

Quite - not much value in the scrap - hopefully it is a nice, rare collectable or something

From a quick google the manufacturer was makers to the royal family hence they were allowed to put it on everything they made.

Permabanned
It looks like the last visual expression of a scoundrel who stole the kings bread in some medieval time and the king ordered his wizard to turn the scoundrel into a letter opener for all eternity.

Caporegime

I would't get your hopes up, I doubt it is worth much - you could try taking it to your local auction house and seeing what they'd put it in for.

Back
Top Bottom