Spec me a cooler for 1151?

Associate
Hi all.

I currently have a g4560 with its stock cooler. The whiney fan is a little annoying.

I'll be shortly moving The components into a new case, phanteks evolv ATX, so it seems like a good time to swap The cooler.

The g4560 is a stop gap until the price of used kaby lake i5/i7 cpus comes down. Saying that, it does what i need it to, so i may have it some time. I have a gigabyte z270 ultra gaming, so plan to over clock a bit after the cpu upgrade.

Ideally I'd like to re-use the cooler with the i5/i7.

Id like to spend around £30, maybe £35 ish if there is something worth the extra.

Thanks

Associate
depends on the height that the case can take. I personally wouldn't go for a case that has very little front air intake like that one. your air flow inside will be rubbish

Soldato
Hi all.

I currently have a g4560 with its stock cooler. The whiney fan is a little annoying.

I'll be shortly moving The components into a new case, phanteks evolv ATX, so it seems like a good time to swap The cooler.

The g4560 is a stop gap until the price of used kaby lake i5/i7 cpus comes down. Saying that, it does what i need it to, so i may have it some time. I have a gigabyte z270 ultra gaming, so plan to over clock a bit after the cpu upgrade.

Ideally I'd like to re-use the cooler with the i5/i7.

Id like to spend around £30, maybe £35 ish if there is something worth the extra.

Thanks
I think Ross Thomson has been looking as reviews by people who do not use Evolv ATX. It has good front intake airflow and works very well with air cooling systems. It's top is not well vented, but for air cooling is is not a problem.

Evolv ATX has 194mm CPU clearance .. meaning a 140mm fan will fit over 49mm tall RAM.

I'm using Evolv ATX with 6700k and KFA2 GeForce GTX 6800 LTD OC .. CPU peaks at 65c and GPU at 70c with both stress testing at 100% load; 2x 140mm case fans running 1150rpm with sound level below 35dB(A).

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Yeah those noctua coolers look good... cost more than my cpu though...

Thanks doyll, I've read mixed reviews of the case for cooling. I'm sure I can make it work well enough for my needs. What cooler are you using?

Soldato
Thanks guys. Yeah those noctua coolers look good... cost more than my cpu though...

Thanks doyll, I've read mixed reviews of the case for cooling. I'm sure I can make it work well enough for my needs. What cooler are you using?
I suspect the 'mixed reviews' are by reviewers not optimizing the case and components being use in it. A case can be compared to a car and the components in the case to engine, suspension, transmission, tires etc. We don't just buy a bunch of parts assemble them and expect the car to run good. We have to turn the suspension, tire pressure engine timing fuel ratios, etc to get it to perform properly. Our computer case and components are not different.

Associate

True they do cost a bit, but will be used for the next several systems, plus a good cooler allows for a good overclock. Noctuas are practically silent as well as being brilliant air coolers. I paid £66 for the cooler, I paid £20 for my cpu lol.

Soldato
What KungFuSpagheti said. I use a lot of different coolers .. very few Noctua. Not that Noctua are not good but there are usually equally as good or better ones with lower price tags. My go to cases are Phanteks, Silverstone, Fractal Design and now looking at be quiet!.

Both case and cooler are long term investments I use for many many years. I'm still using an old Define R2 and HR-02 cooler. Case was modified to use 140mm front intake fans, remove bottom an back vent grills, but none of these are hard mods to make. And I plan to keep using them both for many more years.

Associate
OP
i agree regarding the case. ive had 10 years out of my current case (lian li) and its only being changed because its getting a bit cramped, but mainly because i fancy a change.

ive never really thought about the cooler being a long term investment, but i did get 10 years out of my old of of those too. I had the same motherboard for the 10 years, upgraded ram CPU drives and GPU over the years, i'm not a big gamer, though i'd like to get more into it... if only i had the time.

Thinking about it now, i had the Arctic cooling freezer 7, and i never thought it was quiet enough really, had i invested more at the start, i would have been better off.

So i'm convinced... sort of... that i should invest in a decent cooler, i'll do a bit more reading to see if reviews etc can convince me to spend more lol.

any advice for this case specifically to get the best cooling performance?

I've bought used, its the non-glass version of the evolv ATX... i quite fancied the glass version, but this one was too much of a bargain to pass on.

Associate
this is a great cooler for the money, will be much quieter and will take a later cpu no problem. Also has enough oomph should you want to overclock at some point too.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-cpu-cooler-hs-035-cm.html

As other people have said here, buying something like a Noctua d14/15 is more expensive but lasts a very long time and they allow for some great overclocking without temps being an issue across many generations of cpu. If you are thinking about a cooler like the Noctua be aware of memory clearance, as a lot of twin tower coolers overhang ram slots in a lot of configurations.

It all comes down to whether you overclock or not as well.

For info, I run a Thermalright Silver Arrow(D14 Clone) I bought in 2010/11 for around £55 and it has done a stellar job over the years and continues to do so, i'm running a 6600k at 4.7ghz and hitting 62 degrees under load.

The hyper 212 I linked will do a great job, done many builds with them and it's in budget:D

Soldato
i agree regarding the case. ive had 10 years out of my current case (lian li) and its only being changed because its getting a bit cramped, but mainly because i fancy a change.

ive never really thought about the cooler being a long term investment, but i did get 10 years out of my old of of those too. I had the same motherboard for the 10 years, upgraded ram CPU drives and GPU over the years, i'm not a big gamer, though i'd like to get more into it... if only i had the time.

Thinking about it now, i had the Arctic cooling freezer 7, and i never thought it was quiet enough really, had i invested more at the start, i would have been better off.

So i'm convinced... sort of... that i should invest in a decent cooler, i'll do a bit more reading to see if reviews etc can convince me to spend more lol.

any advice for this case specifically to get the best cooling performance?

I've bought used, its the non-glass version of the evolv ATX... i quite fancied the glass version, but this one was too much of a bargain to pass on.
My Evolv ATX has
2x PH-F140MP front intake fans with all openings but where fans are sealed off so none of the air fans are pushing into case can leak back in front of fans.
Upper front intake is speed controlled based on CPU temp and lower front intake is speed controlled based on GPU temp.
No exhaust fans and all PCIe back slot covers removed to improve front to back flow around GPU.

This is on i7 6700K with TRUE Spirit 140 rev. A cooler.
System runs cool and quiet.

I'm thinking of changing cooler to Archon IB-E X2, Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme or Le Grand Macho. All are as good as the best like NH-D15 .. Le Grand Macho is quieter, Archon IB-E has offset base for great PCIe clearance, if I use Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme I will need to change front intakes to matching high performance fans to match it's TY-143 130cfm fans' airflow needs.

Associate
OP
My Evolv ATX has
2x PH-F140MP front intake fans with all openings but where fans are sealed off so none of the air fans are pushing into case can leak back in front of fans.
Upper front intake is speed controlled based on CPU temp and lower front intake is speed controlled based on GPU temp.
No exhaust fans and all PCIe back slot covers removed to improve front to back flow around GPU.

This is on i7 6700K with TRUE Spirit 140 rev. A cooler.
System runs cool and quiet.

I'm thinking of changing cooler to Archon IB-E X2, Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme or Le Grand Macho. All are as good as the best like NH-D15 .. Le Grand Macho is quieter, Archon IB-E has offset base for great PCIe clearance, if I use Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme I will need to change front intakes to matching high performance fans to match it's TY-143 130cfm fans' airflow needs.

seems like a good plan. What did you do at the top? seal it up? or leave it as it is?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I'm assuming the case will come with the stock fans, are these any good? i recently bought 2x "Akasa Apache Black Ultra Silent AK-FN058" 120mm fans for my existing case, would i be better with these? or to change to better 140mm fans?

Silence is golden.

thanks

Soldato
If you're looking at all of those the d15 is far and away the best cooler going off benchmarks. The u14 nearly matches the Archon, the d14 is several degrees cooler at load than the u14 and the d15 several cooler again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-heat-sink-haswell,3554-22.html
D15 is of at least a dozen top tier coolers with almost identical performance. D14 is every bit as good as D15 when both use same fans. ;)
NH-D15-results-640x413.png

http://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nh-d15-heatsink-review/

seems like a good plan. What did you do at the top? seal it up? or leave it as it is?

Thanks
Did nothing to the top. No fans, nothing.

I'm assuming the case will come with the stock fans, are these any good? i recently bought 2x "Akasa Apache Black Ultra Silent AK-FN058" 120mm fans for my existing case, would i be better with these? or to change to better 140mm fans?

Silence is golden.

thanks
The 2x stock fan are basically PH-F140SP motor and housing with a PH-F140MP impeller. Quite good and should be all you need used as front intakes. They perform the same as PH-F140MP up to 1200rpm .. 140mm fans start becoming audible at about 1000rpm so using then at much higher rpm is only an option for short periods of time. My own system will run 100% CPU load encoding for hours at 1050rpm .. just loud enough to know system is working hard. ;)

Soldato
The cooler master hyper 212 is a good £30 cooler, there are a few others around that price that are well rated too.

I have a cooler master and I've got no particular complaints about it, it works well is is fairly quiet, certainly not loud enough to tempt me to replace it.

Soldato
Actually the Hyper 212 is no longer a good deal and definitey not as good as others for £25-35 range.
For examples:
Alpenfohn Brocken Eco
Cryorig H7
Alpenfohn Atlas
Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure
Raijintek Ereboss

Soldato
That's kinda what I was trying to say, any tower cooler around that price will be decent, I suspect the major differences will be the the quality of the supplied fan, or additional heat tubes.

The 'standard' tower cooler is a tried and tested design that works well.

Soldato
Fan and heatpipe design for sure, but also base design and how fins are attached to heatpipes.

Maybe I'm an eccentric, or maybe just spoiled, but I prefer 140mm fanned coolers in the £45-55 price range. They have more cooling ability, but the real reason I use them is they are much quieter than 120mm fanned coolers. Their added cooling ability means they don't have to work as hard which not only means lower fan speeds are needed but 140mm fans also move more air than similar 120mm fans (2x 140mm fans move as much as 3x 120mm fans). End result is a quieter running system.

To me coolers are something I can use for many many years, so I can justify spending more becasue cost can be spread out over many years of use in 2 and possibly 3 different systems.

Back
Top Bottom