PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Soldato
Crazy to see people getting on XBOX etc back for this being buggy, not just on here but all over twitter etc.

It’s a preview it’s going to have issues, look at all the other releases - all had issues.

I for one am happy it’s on console and it’s exclusive (even though I own all consoles), I even have a gaming PC rig but held off buying PUBG for PC as console is so much more convinient, not forgetting how quick they’ve ported this over, 8 months?. I bought it knowing it would be low FPS, knowing it wouldn’t graphically be the best and knowing controls would be hit and miss but I’m prepared to wait for the updates after all, that’s what the preview programme is all about.

Soldato
~150 hours in the PC, fair few chicken dinners under my belt.

Played my first match on Xbox One (non-X) last night, was a duo with my friend that had played two matches prior to joining me. Picked up the controls relatively well and fought our way to a chicken dinner; me 10 kills, him 2. Hey, this isn't so bad - in fact, quite enjoyable.

My brother joins us, so we're a 3-man squad. Fine, we'll just turn off match making. Oh wait, you can't - you have to play with a random. But currently, it seems single players going in to squad matches is very rare - it took us about 10 minutes to get paired with a 4th man.

When we did get a game, we decided to drop Pochinki as there weren't many reasonable places on the planes route. This is where I saw the frame rate issues firsthand. They should not have released the game this early, when frame rates are running circa 10 - 15fps around Pochinki. This is one of the most popular drop sites on PUBG ffs, how can this be seen as acceptable?!

Soldato
Crazy to see people getting on XBOX etc back for this being buggy, not just on here but all over twitter etc.

Console gamers don't have much experience of buying and playing games that aren't anywhere close to being in a finished state though, so I'm not remotely surprised.

That said, a simple YouTube search before buying would have shown what state the PC version is in, so it should have been obvious to anyone that the Xbox version wasn't going to be a highly-polished, well-optimised release.

Soldato
See I disagree there. With console development, they have one defined hardware package to create for (okay two with the new X model). This has traditionally allowed developers to get extra performance out of software as they aren’t having to account for different HDD speeds, GPU models, CPU arcitechture, RAM amounts etc..

With the time the Microsoft team has had to develop with PUBG Corp, I would have expected a reasonable frame rate at the very least. Sure, not 60fps, but 30fps would have been reasonable. For them to release it yesterday with frame rates as low as they are, I would consider that embarrassing if I was a stakeholder.

Soldato
When you push a game as much as Microsoft have this you cannot hide behind “game preview program” when people are having as many issues as they are. This wasn’t a quiet release…this was advertised to the hilt, was one of the main features of their E3 campaign and is their biggest release of this season….arguably the biggest release of their year.

This was a rushed release to get it out this year and before Christmas….that’s all. I expect issues with preview games but they shouldn’t be unplayable, certainly not one as big as this.

Soldato
PUGB is terrible on xbox one at the moment, 10/15fps, and looks really bad as well, in a fight and laggs like hell, and takes like 5 tries to get in each door :) mind you PUGB dont look that good on a PC, but on console deffo looks like a 10 yearold game, shame as i love the gameplay, it may get better hopefully.

Caporegime
OP
It's not unplayable at all, it may not be as refined as you want it to be, but it's not unplayable.

Oh and for the lols, if you hook up a USB keyboard and press O you can view the options. :D

knyssYH.jpg

LnCMfYa.jpg

Soldato
When you push a game as much as Microsoft have this you cannot hide behind “game preview program” when people are having as many issues as they are. This wasn’t a quiet release…this was advertised to the hilt, was one of the main features of their E3 campaign and is their biggest release of this season….arguably the biggest release of their year.

This was a rushed release to get it out this year and before Christmas….that’s all. I expect issues with preview games but they shouldn’t be unplayable, certainly not one as big as this.

Yea I think this nails it for me.

Completely understand it's early access etc, but doesn't mean they can have held off to the new year and made the base version more acceptable.

In my mind they knew it would sell regardless so just pooped it out so to speak ;)

I imagine they will turn it around a bit with updates within a week or so, hopefully.

Clearly people are happy with it as it is so that's good, if you are enjoying it then that's great

Soldato
See I disagree there. With console development, they have one defined hardware package to create for (okay two with the new X model). This has traditionally allowed developers to get extra performance out of software as they aren’t having to account for different HDD speeds, GPU models, CPU arcitechture, RAM amounts etc..

With the time the Microsoft team has had to develop with PUBG Corp, I would have expected a reasonable frame rate at the very least. Sure, not 60fps, but 30fps would have been reasonable. For them to release it yesterday with frame rates as low as they are, I would consider that embarrassing if I was a stakeholder.

Don't get me wrong at all, I'm not excusing it. If I had an Xbox I'd have definitely bought it and I'd have been disappointed with the performance issues and visual quality without a doubt. But at the same time, there were plenty of warning signals there based on the PC version's performance even on powerful systems. The issues are evidently with their engine and netcode, the consoles being a fixed platform doesn't seem to matter quite as much to developers these days.

The best thing to come out of PUBG may well be what other more-established developers choose to do with a battle royale mode in their games. I'm looking specifically at Ubisoft with Ghost Recon Wildlands here, they'd be mad not to do it.

Soldato
It's not unplayable at all, it may not be as refined as you want it to be, but it's not unplayable.

Oh and for the lols, if you hook up a USB keyboard and press O you can view the options. :D

knyssYH.jpg

LnCMfYa.jpg
What!?

How weird.

To me this shows it's pretty much just taking the pc game and trying to make it run on the console rather than porting it as it's own thing?

I do think they could do with maybe even removing some stuff to make it more appropriate on a controller rather than trying to cram all the pc abilities into a console controller

Soldato
I thin most people (myself included) were not expecting such a significant step backwards in performance; especially when all the client hardware boxes became identical.

I think some of the choices they've made with controls / UI seem a little half-cocked and not thought through enough. Press Y to cycle guns is incredibly annoying when you have a pistol in your inventory - this should be a Hold Y to select pistol situation.

Getting IN to the car by press X, but getting OUT of the car by press B???

Hold X to reload is ill-through through. It shouldn't be a shared action with looting if they have to implement this feature to avoid conflict, because holding X to reload doesn't make sense when the majority of fighting after the first ten minutes happens AWAY from loot.

Soldato
Where are these settings about? Or are these for the Elite controller?

On the main settings menu. As with most of the stuff on this pubg release its a little cumbersome to get your head around. You have to open the region menu on the main menu then press the same button again to open the settings menu. I think the same is true for the in game access to this menu as well.

Soldato
On the main settings menu. As with most of the stuff on this pubg release its a little cumbersome to get your head around. You have to open the region menu on the main menu then press the same button again to open the settings menu. I think the same is true for the in game access to this menu as well.
Thanks, will take a look when I try it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom