Hypothetical what if you had ~£50k to buy a car thread

OcUK Staff
Audi RS3, plenty big enough and practical to be a daily but still nice enough to have some fun in :)

Quick in straight lines and sound epic too. A good shout, also very easily tuned to make them stupid fast, when we were at Santa pod there was one running mid 10's quarter miles, all it had done was a stage 1 remap, that is as quick as like stage 2/3 GTR's, they are monster in a straight line and more reliable and robust than a GTR and are relatively cheap to run in comparison. Of course they do not handle like a GTR or have the same road presence or kudos as a GTR. But if you just want super fast road car, that has easy to extract performance than the VAG group AWD offerings are very hard to beat. Or go a little more up market with the A45 AMG.

Soldato
Quick in straight lines and sound epic too. A good shout, also very easily tuned to make them stupid fast, when we were at Santa pod there was one running mid 10's quarter miles, all it had done was a stage 1 remap, that is as quick as like stage 2/3 GTR's, they are monster in a straight line and more reliable and robust than a GTR and are relatively cheap to run in comparison. Of course they do not handle like a GTR or have the same road presence or kudos as a GTR. But if you just want super fast road car, that has easy to extract performance than the VAG group AWD offerings are very hard to beat. Or go a little more up market with the A45 AMG.

I toyed with choosing the A45 but it literally came down to dashboards in the end, I prefer the look of the Audi's, that's what it came down to as both cars are epic and I dream of owning both :D

Soldato
Hmm not sure to be honest as there is so much variety. If it was one car and had to fit the criteria of practicality, performance and some luxury then I'd opt for a BMW 335d xdrive.

Otherwise a £15k Skyline r33 gtr with left over spent on performance mods.

Soldato
@Jono

I am assuming broadspeed, carwow and leasing are all in play which opens up a world of options on new. It's often considerably cheaper to go new with group finance subsidies and contributions.

From my recent car hunting though, it transpires £50k is a actually fairly middle road now for many decent new premium cars with some options selected that meet your criteria but opens up most things on the used market or the non premium brands.

For example a new BMW 540i with some choice options and after discounts still exceeds this ceiling.

Personally, given your criteria I would pick a new C43 AMG or E43 AMG. Practicality not required then an M2. For second hand a F10 BMW M5.

Not fussed on brand but want performance then significantly reduce your budget and go for a Skoda Superb 280 4x4 @ c£30k.

New Audi S4 are pretty cheap at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
Audi A6 Avant SE Executive 2.0 TDI quattro S tronic with a generous trip through the options list. £47,500 on the road with extended 5 year warranty.

If anyone wants to look up the exact spec: Audi code AL1C434M

Associate
^^^ When you're stuck in rush hour traffic five days a week who needs exciting :p Surely anyone with 50K to spend would have a weekend car to fulfil those duties?

Back
Top Bottom