• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Associate
I imagine X470 will offer better DDR4 stability and overclocking than X370 too. Even now it seems a lot of people on the same board get different mileage with the same memory.

I have been looking into getting a ryzen system and this is one of the things that I am worried about. I was thinking of getting a low end cpu now and having the option of upgrading next year to a Ryzen plus as everyone keeps saying the AM4 chipset will be compatible with future chips. However, ryzen/am4 is the first generation of a new system and I would expect them to improve quite a bit and will this all be in the cpu or will it need a new motherboard? In particular the ram issues that ryzen has.

Also will the mb manufacturers keep issuing new bioses for the old boards? There seems to be a lot of offers on current ryzen boards at the moment which suggests that they are clearing stock ready for launching new models.

Soldato
I imagine X470 will offer better DDR4 stability and overclocking than X370 too. Even now it seems a lot of people on the same board get different mileage with the same memory.

Most probably not, given the fact it's mainly down to the IMC in the CPU and the DF. Which also backs up why people get different results on the same motherboards.

Soldato
It will be a big disappointment tho if they haven't fixed fully compatibility with DDR4 ram modules when the new chips launch.

AMD will be back big time if they sort out the small details such as easy plugnplay DOCP profiles.

And all the little things the Intel platform does without you needing to spend any brain power to get working.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's unlikely to be the case. Better RAM compatibility will come down to the (hopefully) improved IMC on the new chips, rather than the boards. There's really nothing board-side you could change to improve it, beyond software updates (which the X370 boards will get to support the new lineup). And of course variations in component quality within each manufacturer's product stack, but that will be the same for X470. Current variations are also down to silicon lottery when it comes to the IMC. Some are just plain better than others.

Soldato
DDR4 support is more down to the motherboard manufactures and micro code. How well you can overclock will be down to the, RAM, board and chip combination. Then IMC performance could make some difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
DDR4 support is more down to the motherboard manufactures and micro code. How well you can overclock will be down to the, RAM, board and chip combination. Then IMC performance could make some difference.
Even the cheapest B350 boards on the market are capable of 3200MHz+ speeds with current Ryzen chips. What board you own makes almost no difference. I can get 3466MHz running on the MSI X370 Pro Gaming that I have, and that's one of the cheapest X370 boards on the market. Getting higher speeds on the current CPUs is 99.9% down to owning a quality Samsung B-die kit (which I do), which is in turn down to the particular quirks of the current IMC liking those kits above all others. One would hope that the refreshed version will have better support for both other modules and higher speeds, and that most certainly will be, almost exclusively, down to the IMC, and not the motherboard. As it is right now.

Soldato
Soldato
It will be February-March.
You can hold for now, even though I am not sure if X470 will bring substantial changes and anything worth the wait.
If it is easier for you to split the expenses, then buy the motherboard now.

To be honest, while... AM4 is basically just the IO with everything else on the chip, I'd think it likely they'll have ironed out a few wrinkles in the traces/etc to help memory stability as that one quickly came out to be ryzens Achilles heel. While it's mostly down to the IMC, I'd think cleaner/better trace may well give the IMC easier/cleaner signals to work with...

I'm almost certainly jumping on this as it lands but I'm waiting for new boards too.

If you want to buy anything in advance, probably worth looking at DDR4 of chosen size now. Find some stupidly high speed C(L)16 or slightly lower speed C(L)14.

Soldato
Well... I agree but... still, they're "something".

Indeed, though don’t expect it to give similar differences with higher MEMCLK.
What would make a nice difference is if they can improve the latency, though I’m sceptical because the reason is the design more than anything.

Realistically so long as 3466MHz is easy to achieve, it’s CPU frequency we want along with an IPC increase.

Soldato
I know it's to soon, but I'm more excited to see the improvements carried over into Epyc and TR. Will be interesting to see if any new TRs come out with X399 compatibility - though I wouldn't expect to see a product for a good while

Soldato
Maybe the B450 can support more M.2 slots. We need more M.2 slots on the cheaper models, too.

I'm not entirely sure they would bother given that it's a budget board. It would be realistic to assume that users wouldn't have multiple M.2 drives over standard SATA drives. It's likely to cost more to implement M.2 over standard SATA in manufacturing too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The thing with Ryzen for me is that it's great and I really want to support AMD. But 50% of the time im playing FSX. And for that GHZ is king. So Im really struggling to pick AMD over Intel. I know I am a very niche consumer. but it makes a huge difference to FSX if you are at 5Ghz rather than 4Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom