Getting used to Mech Keyboads

Associate
I have been using a membrane keyboard for as log as I can remember but have treated myself to a Corsair Strafe which seems quite nice. However it is seriously taking some getting used, I'm finding it a bit uncomfortable & wonder if they are not so great for preventing RSI after all.

I only do a bit of typing on it & use my PC mainly for gaming & internet use.

So my Q is, did it take you other mechanical keyboard owners time to get used to them?

Soldato
Takes me a few hours to get used to any new mech kb I buy especially if I switch between cherry and other switches, this is down to how much force is required for a keypress to register and the keys are generally in slightly different places to get used to without looking at the kb.

Soldato
Take a few weeks to get used to it, and if after that your still struggling then maybe you need a different type of switch.. Heavier/lighter/tactile/clicky?

I use Cherry Blues in the office (tactile and loud clicky)... When I first brought it in a number of people sat around me 'commented' on my new loud keyboard.
Let them borrow my spare mech for a day or two, now quite a number of them also have mechanical keyboards. Love it! We are the noisiest at typing part of the office! :)

Associate
OP
Went from using this strafe to my laptop for work & thought the lapy was horrid due to basically zero gap between the key press & it bottoming out. However the mech seems really high up, I have the mx silent so no clickyness but still loud when bottoming out especially the space bar. I think its the height of it thats taking the time to adjust to.

Soldato
I have had 3 mechanical keyboards over the last year. Whilst they good quality and lots if rgb goodness I've gone back to a £12 wireless membrane keyboard. I know quality is essential and in my mouse I need the best possible within reason but with a keyboard, as long as it types and responds within my tolerance I honestly don't care (needs to look nice though)
Mechanical switches just don't float my boat and I have tried (still got my K70 RGB red switches)

Soldato
If you dont like a particular switch, try to figure out what it is you dont like about it. Ie, are they too stiff, too soft, too loud, do they click and you dont like the clicking, is the actuation point too low or too high etc. If you know what the problem is, you might find a switch that suits you more as there are lots of switches out there, all with their own features.

Back
Top Bottom