Microsoft Surface Book 2 13" and 14" quad cores imminent

Man of Honour
EDIT: Please can a mod correct the title to be 15" instead of 14". Thank you.

The Surface Book 2 has just been reversed in the US. So release should be soon and they look very interesting. It seems there will be both a 13" and a 15" this time and both models will get the new gen 8 quad cores. They should be quite an interesting machine.

Soldato
This looks like an absolute beast! The 15" is the one I want. After my Dell XPS15 debacle earlier this year I have been patiently waiting for this exact device. I'll take a 15" quad core i7 with 16gb and 512ssd please!

Any ideas when pricing is due to be announced?

Soldato
Why are you saying this as if it's not been happening for many years.
I wouldnt say its been equivalent for years - then again I rarely check US prices but having a quick google shows that other tech retailers still have discrepancies for the $ vs £ (Dell for example)

Still - it seems mad that on a £2k plus device they are still shafting us

Soldato
When are the 15" SB2s due to launch in the UK? I'm currently using both a Dell XPS13 and an iPad for various tasks (mostly college work), but miss gaming too. The 15" SB2 would allow good levels of gaming, while keeping the functionality of both a decent laptop and tablet.

Associate
Think I'll be waiting a while before getting one of these looking at current pricing, in the UK the 15" isn't coming till 2018 but the top spec 13.5" is £2999, absolutely mental pricing for a laptop of this spec with only a 1050.

The other problem other than the pricing that i have is that they're extremely reluctant to replace a broken keyboard for the Surface Book. When i say extremely reluctant, what i mean is that they won't.

I have an i7 512GB Surface Book 1 without the performance base. I tried their support to be a bit cheeky and see if i could buy a new base and pretend i had a performance base to start with, After ages on the phone i couldn't get them to supply me with one, simple saying that they don't have any of the lower sections of the device as they consider it all as a single item. Even when asking if i could just buy a regular base not performance, i was still refused.

Now i understand that on any other laptop, if something goes wrong with the keyboard, you need to get the whole thing fixed, but feels to me that they could have manufactured a few more of these bases so people can upgrade or even replace etc. Even if they do try and tell you its because they marry up the lower and top parts for a match etc. ******** -.-

Caporegime
I' ggoing to get the 15in version when it comes out

It will replace my

Desktop,
Laptop,
HTpc.

So will massively reduce the **** I have around the house.

Caporegime
I' ggoing to get the 15in version when it comes out

It will replace my

Desktop,
Laptop,
HTpc.

So will massively reduce the **** I have around the house.

Tempted as well, looking at specs alone it looks overpriced but my current SB I got for like £700 has been a godsend, only issue is I didn't think I'd end up doing this much of my work on it and the dual core is lacking in certain areas, a dGPU would help also :)

Caporegime
Tempted as well, looking at specs alone it looks overpriced but my current SB I got for like £700 has been a godsend, only issue is I didn't think I'd end up doing this much of my work on it and the dual core is lacking in certain areas, a dGPU would help also :)

I've never liked tablets. Including the surface Pro. May as well use my phone which does more, and is more portable than a tablet.
If I need to type or do photo work I'll use my laptop or desktop, if I play games I use my HTpc (which only had a 7950).

The pro isn't good enough and can't stand up on your lap properly, hasn't got a nice keyboard etc.

This is the device I've been waiting for. Replacing everything will save so much more hassle

Associate
I use a SB 1 as my work machine (email, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, SharePoint etc) and it's great. Or more precisely it was great once MS updated the firmware to stop it crashing when I undocked it.

Need to work out how to convince our IT guys that I need an upgrade :)

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Currently debating between this and the HP Spectre x360.
HP is cheaper but lacks dedicated graphics on the 13”.
Like the idea of the removable ‘tablet’ on the Surface but some suggestion battery performance is poor in that mode.

Using mainly for photo editing so still undecided whether the gpu makes that much of a difference.

Associate
Like the idea of the removable ‘tablet’ on the Surface but some suggestion battery performance is poor in that mode.

My surface book one reports around 2 hours battery life for the tablet bit when it's undocked. That tends to be continuous medium use - connected to WiFi, writing notes in one note on the screen or using office apps to reference documents while I'm in a meeting

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback.
Decided in the end to get the HP x360, but the 15.6”.
I really wasn’t comfortable paying over £2k even for a top spec machine.

Should come tomorrow. Might try and post a unboxing/review thread.

Back
Top Bottom