Hip-hop thread

Permabanned
Not my genre, but I agree Akala kills just about anything I've heard in recent times for flow and content. Modern rap/hip-hop too clichéd for me, so to have an artist bringing it back to politics, expounding on human nature etc - and do it with wit and a strong lexicon - is welcome. FITB Part IV is his best for me, but all four are excellent.

Akala's great been listening to him for a few years now but their are many that's been doing it for a while like Krs-One, Rakim, Immortal Technique to name a few. Most of it you don't hear because it's not deemed radio worthy ect.

Gangstarr Moment of Truth is one of the best Hip-hop albums ever made in my opinion. R.I.P.

Dj Premier the magician with the God Rakim.

The teacher Krs One.
Hip means to know
It's a form of intelligence
To be hip is to be up-date and relevant

Hop is a form of movement
You can't just observe a hop
You got to hop up and do it

Hip and hop is more than music
Hip is the knowledge, hop is the movement
Hip and hop is intelligent movement

Or relevant movement
We selling the music

Immortal Technique, not to everyone's taste but he pulls no punches and makes no apologies whilst taking about controversial subject matter.

Just a few of my favorites.

Permabanned
One of my favorite forms of Hip hop is freestyle, It's Hip hop in it's rawest form, many can rap but only a few can rap off the top of there head as well as others can rap with a written.

Ive heard many people argue who is the best freestyle rapper out of King Los and Supernatural, but I'm going to take it one further and add Locksmith to the equation, as he is pretty damn good too.

They all have different styles which one do you prefer?

Locksmith

King Los

Supernatural

Soldato
One of my favorite forms of Hip hop is freestyle, It's Hip hop in it's rawest form, many can rap but only a few can rap off the top of there head as well as others can rap with a written....

Have you seen that Harry Mack dude? He's pretty good coming right off the dome.

Have you guys checked out Friday on Elm Street? Colab between Fabolous and Jadakiss. Quite good

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah I heard of Harry Mack he has defiantly got talent and refreshing as he is not someone who fits the stereotypical profile of a rapper.

Also worth mentioning Joey Bada$$ as he can spit too. Love this one especially if you know the backstory behind it.

Worth mentioning J Cole as well as he is one of my favorites of the newer generation, not necessarily known for his freestyles but he's pretty good, he spits lyrics with meaning.

Here's another one that completely took me by surprise, again not the stereotypical rapper.

Soldato
I was very late to the J Cole bandwagon. Didn't really hop on until last year or so. Heard 2014 Forest Hill drive then checked out his older stuff and was a fan. Shall listen to those on my way home.

Dizzee Rascal tried the five fingers of death. Held his own for the most part.

Soldato
Yes! I watched that this monring. Was fantastic.

Eminems album however... not so. I've only listened to it once so far but i'll give it another go. I wasn't fond of The Life of Pablo after the first listen but went on to love that.

Soldato
Eminems new album is the only album of his I haven't preordered. Looked at the track listing and saw Ed Sheeran and Pink and just decided I'll remember his music with the fondness i have instead of tainting it with what I'm almost sure will be an awful last album :(.

It was also a bit of a shock to see a picture of his daughter when I was reading a review. Time is moving way too fast and I don't like it :(.

Soldato
Any of you like Casisdead? He has made some decent tracks, but his music gets hardly any recognition, probably as he hides his identity and doesnt do any promotion etc. Well worth checking out if you're into UK rap.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my favorite forms of Hip hop is freestyle, It's Hip hop in it's rawest form, many can rap but only a few can rap off the top of there head as well as others can rap with a written.

Ive heard many people argue who is the best freestyle rapper out of King Los and Supernatural, but I'm going to take it one further and add Locksmith to the equation, as he is pretty damn good too.

They all have different styles which one do you prefer?

Locksmith

Saw Locksmith live last year, was really good. Great delivery on stage. Was actually more memorable and enjoyable at that performance than R.A. The Rugged Man, who was headlining. R.A.'s still one of my favourites and a great performer in his own right, though, but his performance just seemingly didn't quite click with me that evening – was just there on my own, as my friend had dropped out, and the crowd was a bit odd.

Love some of the collaborations he features in, too.

Permabanned
Saw Locksmith live last year, was really good. Great delivery on stage. Was actually more memorable and enjoyable at that performance than R.A. The Rugged Man, who was headlining. R.A.'s still one of my favourites and a great performer in his own right, though, but his performance just seemingly didn't quite click with me that evening – was just there on my own, as my friend had dropped out, and the crowd was a bit odd.

No way i'd love to go see Locksmith live I hope he comes back over here.

Not going to lie I not sure if I've ever listened to R.A. The Rugged Man before although I have defiantly heard of his name. I was watching another one of Locksmiths freestyles when I scrolled down and saw the top comment was someone who said R.A. The Rugged Man sent me here, curiosity got the better of me so I searched his name, this was the first vid I came across.

Ha ha how could you not like this song, it's brilliant. :D

Permabanned
Got to love Youtube, reading more comments and I come across this guy.

Never heard of him but he's got some proper talent. Fair shout to R.A. for giving him some exposure.

Back
Top Bottom