*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Fairly sure that call will go something like this...

OP> "Dear Hyperoptic, what is the static IP I've been given?"
H> "www.xxx.yyy.zzz"
OP> "Ok great. How long does it take to take effect?"
Then Either
H> "Its there now, just power cycle your router"
or
H> "Our networking team will have actioned this by hh:mm. We'll drop you an email when done."

Soldato
Plug a cable into the Hyperoptic wall socket and then straight into your router - you don't need the HyperOptic router, and you can leave the settings on DHCP, as they're configured on the termination.

That's how mine's setup anyway.

Caporegime
What details did Hyperoptic give you? I'd set it back to DHCP and leave it for a day or so for the lease to expire and see what happens.

Associate
So Hyperoptic have their Black Friday Deals up.

Looks like 10% off the 30Mb, 15% off 150Mb and 20% off 1Gb.

Just upgraded slightly to the 150Mb package, very happy with the service, best ISP in the UK IMO.

If anyone is thinking of ordering and wants a referral for a £50 bill credit, then drop me a message / trust email :)

Associate
Sure the 1Gb service would be nice to have, but I'm pretty content with the 150Mb service now :)

unknown.png

Man of Honour
I don't suppose anybody has yet had IPv6 activated by Hyperoptic for their connection and received any details on the configuration (ie. Prefix delegation etc) - they seem completely incapable of or unwilling to tell me much...

Associate
I don't suppose anybody has yet had IPv6 activated by Hyperoptic for their connection and received any details on the configuration (ie. Prefix delegation etc) - they seem completely incapable of or unwilling to tell me much...

Not heard anything yet, but I really need to learn more about how to actually get ipv6 working; I'm not using their router at the moment.

I guess the thing is: I need to be sure about firewalling off stuff inside my house; previously NAT sort of did the job for preventing inbound connections, but ipv6 changes all that.

I'd love to get to the point where I've got ipv6, therefore can ditch the static IP charge (and just use the CGNAT IPv4 inbound)

Man of Honour
Not heard anything yet, but I really need to learn more about how to actually get ipv6 working; I'm not using their router at the moment.

I guess the thing is: I need to be sure about firewalling off stuff inside my house; previously NAT sort of did the job for preventing inbound connections, but ipv6 changes all that.

I'd love to get to the point where I've got ipv6, therefore can ditch the static IP charge (and just use the CGNAT IPv4 inbound)

I've been told the roll-out is in progress (good news!) but they seem reluctant to find out when my building might be done (having been responsible for the roll out IPv6 to 300+ POPs in about 5 weeks several years ago, this whole story disappoints me).

I'm hoping for proper IPv6 PD with a /56 or larger delegated and then I can hand out /64s to each of my internal networks and just firewall appropriately (using a Juniper SRX myself so it's simple config to do so). If the IPv6 address allocation is less convenient then will have to do something more creative, so it'd be nice to know what they plan but radio silence on that front...

Associate
I can confirm the Hyperoptic rollout is going nicely and is def worth signing up for. In 2015 I contacted them trying to get attention to our large apartment block site not even having BT fibre due to Exchange-Only lines but in a city they had never been to before, Chester. We now have the buildings all wired up internally and installations are booked from 2nd Jan 2018 along with other buildings in the city starting to get enough registrations (you need around 15-20% but with most having their own facebook groups these days it can be pretty easy).

I'm finding it hard to get much information on the best gigabit wired throughput 3rd party router though. I noticed a few listed here over the pages but can anyone recommend a good up to date site or list off some good new routers that might reach the best possible speed? It turned out my Draytek Vigor 2860ac would only manage 300mb/s on its "gigabit" wan2, meh.

Caporegime
Does anybody know what Hyperoptic do for backhaul from each building? I assume there is no way that they can even get every subscriber from a building into their own core without contention, let alone out to the internet.

Do they just rely on the fact that people sit with their connections idle for most of the time and run 1Gb or 10Gb EAD circuits into each building? Afaik Gigaclear in 2013 averaged 200Mbps at peak times across their entire subscriber base so it wouldn’t be unusual to underprovision in such a way.

Associate
Does anybody know what Hyperoptic do for backhaul from each building? I assume there is no way that they can even get every subscriber from a building into their own core without contention, let alone out to the internet.

Do they just rely on the fact that people sit with their connections idle for most of the time and run 1Gb or 10Gb EAD circuits into each building? Afaik Gigaclear in 2013 averaged 200Mbps at peak times across their entire subscriber base so it wouldn’t be unusual to underprovision in such a way.

I'm pretty sure that they run one or two 1GB circuits to each building. Certainly that seems to be the word on the street. They'll then just let the contention take place - notice how many people on gigabit are getting 900-950 on speedtests and are utterly made up; that 50-100mbit will comfortably be the use of the rest of the building no doubt. I'd completely guess they probably get somewhere between 0-2 gigabit users per building and the rest will be on the 30 / 150mbit packages.

In terms of their network beyond there, I know that from Manchester they peer at IX Manchester (although strangely they don't announce their AS there, so inbound connections don't go via their IX Manchester link), and have GTT transit as well. Not sure what other strategies they have, transit used to be Level3 I think.

Associate
Hi all. Totally new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice.

I’m on the 150mb Hyperoptic service using their standard supplied router. All seems fine and the speed tests seem to be holding to a reasonable level. My only issue is the WiFi signal strength can be poor. I’m in a block of flats and mine is across two floors so in order for the signal to get from the level the router is on to the other it has to go through a concrete floor.

Generally it isn’t bad but can sometimes suffer from dropping in and out. Can anybody recommend either a router to replace the standard HO one with one that has a better range, or some kind of booster?

The HO website says this regarding using other routers “If you are a 30 Mb, or a 150Mb customer, your router needs to support /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on its WAN port in order for the router to work with Hyperoptic.” I’ve searched a bit but can’t find anything that mentions this and to be honest I’m not overly sure what it means.

Any advice will be great!

Back
Top Bottom